Hooknswoop

New Bill Could Force Automakers to Install In-Car Breathalyzers to Prevent Drunk Driving

41 minutes ago, Hooknswoop said:

I don't hate the idea, as long as there are protections in place.  For instance: I would want to know that there is no data collection of any kind associated with the program.  The scenario I'm thinking of would be: you stop for a couple beers at a family-friendly joint after work on your way home, you blow a .06 to start your vehicle, and the local police get a notification that there is an impaired driver in a white '20 Ram 1500 leaving Coloseum Gentleman's Club heading eastbound on 8 Mile.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

I don't hate the idea, as long as there are protections in place.  For instance: I would want to know that there is no data collection of any kind associated with the program.  The scenario I'm thinking of would be: you stop for a couple beers at a family-friendly joint after work on your way home, you blow a .06 to start your vehicle, and the local police get a notification that there is an impaired driver in a white '20 Ram 1500 leaving Coloseum Gentleman's Club heading eastbound on 8 Mile.

Gentlemen don't drive Ram 1500's. I know, we'll let Facebook run the program.

3 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Gentlemen don't drive Ram 1500's. I know, we'll let Facebook run the program.

They're so luxurious though.  And my wife works for FCA, so there's a financial incentive to  corporate-lease a Ram instead of a lesser truck.

In 2017, nearly 11,000 people lost their lives to drunk drivers that year alone, according to the NHTSA, or one death roughly every 48 minutes.”

If the gun-control debate was about saving lives, why did this topic receive more discussion about strip clubs than saving lives?  This is low-hanging fruit and could save ~11,000 lives a year.  This is why I don’t believe anti-gunners stated goal of saving lives.  I see their goal is to restrict gun ownership as much as possible, up to and including elimination of all gun rights.

Derek V

(edited)
32 minutes ago, Hooknswoop said:

In 2017, nearly 11,000 people lost their lives to drunk drivers that year alone, according to the NHTSA, or one death roughly every 48 minutes.”

If the gun-control debate was about saving lives, why did this topic receive more discussion about strip clubs than saving lives?  This is low-hanging fruit and could save ~11,000 lives a year.  This is why I don’t believe anti-gunners stated goal of saving lives.  I see their goal is to restrict gun ownership as much as possible, up to and including elimination of all gun rights.

Derek V

Fair enough, the thread drift was excessive. That said, this post makes me think your original post was less solution driven than agenda driven. No matter, on first blush I'm not a fan. Conceivably, it could put more impaired drivers on the road. For example, my rule is to never drive after even one drink. But, if I had a device to prove me innocent and not guilty at the whim of a junior cops field sobriety test, who knows? Then also, would it be a stay out of jail thing or just more evidence used against you? How long before it is hackable and an app on your iPhone advises you to avoid me? Those sorts of things.

Edited by JoeWeber
Yes, I'm aware some folks don't need an app for the purpose.