1 1
Anonymous4697

No opportunity to learn to pack

Recently completed my A license. Looking to rent a rig for my B license (more affordable over dz rig hire) so I need to learn to pack. I have asked several times and several packers for the opportunity to learn to pack but get shut down in my opinion because teaching a new jumper to pack is potentially a loss of income as a packer is paid per pack. I am now looking outside the dz packers for another jumper willing to teach a new jumper to pack. I would appreciate your opinion/ thoughts on the issue.

Regards 

You dont need a packer to teach you to pack. Ask an experienced skydiver at the DZ. They may be able to help you and most of them probably wouldn't even charge you. You can also ask a rigger for some lessons as well. There are lots of YouTube videos on the topic and Performance Designs has published more than one video showing their recommended way to pack their parachutes. In the end, whatever you learn in whatever class you take will likely not be the exact method you'll be using by the time you get your D license. There are many tricks and variations to packing that over the course of time you'll pick up on new things and implement them as you see fit.

(edited)

Where are you located, out of curiosity? It's been awhile since I got my A, but I seem to remember a packing test being part of the license requirements. That's in the US, of course.

Edit: never mind, just saw the flag icon. Got it.

Edited by FlyLikeARaven

(edited)

I don't know how can this even happen. Maybe you are affraid to ask skydivers to help you out? How about instructors that you jumped with? I am positive you will find someone that will gladly help you out. Just ask people. Anyone with 100+ jumps knows how to properly pack. I know I'd gladly teach someone new to pack a parachute for a beer :) I am sure there are loads of people who would do the same.

Edited by Maddingo

1 hour ago, Maddingo said:

Anyone with 100+ jumps knows how to properly pack.

I laughed a bit at that. Just because you can physically put a parachute into the bag does not mean that constitutes 'packing properly'. I know people with thousands of jumps that still do things nearly all manufacturers recommend against.

On 6/5/2019 at 10:02 AM, Anonymous4697 said:

Recently completed my A license. Looking to rent a rig for my B license (more affordable over dz rig hire) so I need to learn to pack. I have asked several times and several packers for the opportunity to learn to pack but get shut down in my opinion because teaching a new jumper to pack is potentially a loss of income as a packer is paid per pack. I am now looking outside the dz packers for another jumper willing to teach a new jumper to pack. I would appreciate your opinion/ thoughts on the issue.

Regards 

Hi there. Excellent that you are interested in learning to pack. If you are jumping in OZ, go and have a chat with your Chief Instructor, your DZSO or an instructor you are familiar with and let them know you are keen and are looking for suggestions. Check the APF Regulatory Schedules to see the prerequisites to apply for your APF Certificate B. Apart from the minimum 50 jumps and a few  other things, you need to be certified to be able to pack for yourself. So this is the time to get into it, and your training DZ will be offering options. B|

20 hours ago, 20kN said:

I laughed a bit at that. Just because you can physically put a parachute into the bag does not mean that constitutes 'packing properly'. I know people with thousands of jumps that still do things nearly all manufacturers recommend against.

Then it is sad. 

i'm in the same boat AND I have a brand new sabre 170 which is a big headache to pack. I'm practicing at home, at least pack 2 times every week at home and watching tons of videos.

Just bought Monkey Packer from Amazon. Not sure how it helps but will try it this weekend to see the result.

3 hours ago, ghostdog said:

i'm in the same boat AND I have a brand new sabre 170 which is a big headache to pack. I'm practicing at home, at least pack 2 times every week at home and watching tons of videos.

Just bought Monkey Packer from Amazon. Not sure how it helps but will try it this weekend to see the result.

I tried one last year (?) at Summerfest. A very experience lady was using it and said it made packing a newer canopy a LOT easier. I found it helpful (on an older canopy).

On 6/5/2019 at 10:02 AM, Anonymous4697 said:

Regards 

Speak to your DZSO. If they give you the same answer, move to another DZ. Where do you jump? Pm me if you'd rather not say. 

I hate to hear that.  I am pretty new to skydiving and currently working toward my A license (15 jumps total so far, I hope to be finished with the A license in the next 3 weeks) and I have had very good experiences with my DZ being helpful and especially with the experienced skydivers at my DZ.  I have had an experienced skydiver, every jump, ask if I would let them jump along side of me and either give critique in addition to my coaches or video my jump for review.  I have also had the same luck with gear checks, gear questions, packing etc.  I have packed 3 canopies so far and jumped my own pack job for the first time this past weekend. Of course, I have also been hounding them about teaching me to pack for the last 6-7 jumps since they are a smaller DZ with limited student gear, and I dont like missing loads because i have to wait on someone else to pack for me. 

I think i will echo what everyone one else is saying ... speak up to your DZSO and /or ask some of the experienced skydivers if they would be willing to help (beer really is the best currency).  Videos are decent (i have watched probably 30) but there is nothing like putting your hands on it and doing it.  

In oz technically you'll need someone with a packer B to teach you. If you're hiring gear from meeloft ask for a main that has been used more than the others (I know their gear is generally almost brand spanking new, but Koppel is an awesome dude and will do whatever he can to hook you up with something to suit your circumstances)

Which dz are you at? Some instructors/packers I know at my dz (picton) will teach novices to pack (after jumping is done for the day) free of charge, or for a beer.

I decided I was tired of paying for pack jobs and wanted to re-learn how to pack.  I watched a bunch of videos on youtube, and then went and asked a packer who is close to the same build as me if he'd take some time and assist me if I get stuck during any part of the pack job.  He was really cool about it, and while it wasn't a true "packing class," I learned everything I needed to know just asking him to help me through the parts that were the most vexsome for me. 

I skipped the important bit: I asked him beforehand how much he charged for a packing class.  He told me $35.  I gave him $50 up front that morning, and asked much less of him than a dedicated packing course.  I got what I needed, he got way more than he expected, and everybody's happy. 

Take care of your riggers, and they'll take care of you!

• Like 1

Isn't learning how to pack included in the AFF course? Here it is.

I did my AFF in France and there it wasn't included so I followed a packing course at my home dz. Costs me about €20 on a friday evening. For our AFF's it's included in their course so they don't have to pay extra for it.

After I bought my own rig I asked a friend to teach me how to pack over the shoulder and I practiced at home during the winterstop.
At the start of the season I asked a packer to follow my "over the shoulder" packing to verify. Got some usefull hints and tricks, free of charge (for a beer ofcourse).

Can't you find anyone who wants to teach you after hours or on some other day? Not for free ofcourse, ask them what they charge.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:47 PM, ghostdog said:

Ghostdog,

Learning to pack is a PITA, but you have the right idea.  Practice makes perfect and I'm encouraged to see someone applying that adage to something that demands time and effort.  A good pack job and can make all the difference in your jump-to-jump experience and save you money and time from losing a parachute in a cutaway or save you from injury.

I learned to pack the same way:  bought puzzle mats at Walmart, put them together in my garage, and had at it for an hour or so a few nights each week two summers ago.  It took me about 25 pack jobs or to get to a point where I felt comfortable about the safety and consistency of my pack jobs on my 210 sq. ft. nylon monstrosity.

But do rid your technique of any bad methods before they become bad habits.  Get with another skydiver - or better yet - a good rigger and ask that they watch a few of your pack jobs before you get too far along.  As for videos, I'd recommend PD's packing video (packing a large canopy, parts 1 and 2) with Nick Grillet.  I got a great deal out of that video when I first learned to pack.

-JD-    

(edited)

Packers are very busy, most of the times. I don't think they shut you down for fear of losing income, they know everybody who wants will learn how to pack eventually, and they know they'll still have more work on a good day that they want to do, most of the times. It's that during a busy day they really can't help you.

I'd say, try asking again on a weather hold, they'll be bored and probably very happy to help you.

At least that's how I am, I'm not a packer but if I'm on a weather hold, I'll be happy to chew your ear off talking about parachutes and packing, whereas if that means not jumping on the few days of the week I can jump... Well, I'll still do it, and try my best, but I'll probably be a lot less patient. If you live close to another jumper, go to his place when you guys are not jumping and bring beer to "pay" for the packing classes, that's all.

Edited by Di0