turtlespeed

Collective Bargaining - Lyft - Uber and a coming strike.

This should be interesting as it unfolds.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/08/721333408/uber-and-lyft-drivers-are-striking-and-call-on-passengers-to-boycott

I am on the fence on this one.

On One hand - I see that the business model may not survive.

The customers will end up paying more and the discount/value goes away.

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:

This should be interesting as it unfolds.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/08/721333408/uber-and-lyft-drivers-are-striking-and-call-on-passengers-to-boycott

I am on the fence on this one.

On One hand - I see that the business model may not survive.

The customers will end up paying more and the discount/value goes away.

I don't have a  bit of sympathy for anyone involved in Lyft or Uber.  The gig economy put the taxi business entirely out on the street and now they're griping because they don't get paid enough for it to be a real income.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DJL said:

I don't have a  bit of sympathy for anyone involved in Lyft or Uber.  The gig economy put the taxi business entirely out on the street and now they're griping because they don't get paid enough for it to be a real income.

I agree with you. They purposely came in to undercut an industry and now bitch that they don't get paid enough 

13 minutes ago, Rick said:

I agree with you. They purposely came in to undercut an industry and now bitch that they don't get paid enough 

There are parallels - 

This seems to be the MO of the democratic voter.

I'd be curious to see the ratio of striking drivers and their voting preferences.

11 minutes ago, Rick said:

They started the race to the bottom and now they're mad they got there.  They don't even make enough to pay for the quality level of cars that they're required to use.

21 minutes ago, DJL said:

They started the race to the bottom and now they're mad they got there.  They don't even make enough to pay for the quality level of cars that they're required to use.

They preyed upon people that wanted to, and could make a quick buck.  They skirted the rules a bit - found a back door into an industry that they could exploit.

The only way this works for them is if it's supplemental income to someone, not a full time profession.

No sympathy for the companies.

Some - but not much sympathy for those that wanted to find a back door and are now complaining.

I despise the "You Owe Me" society that we live in now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

The only way this works for them is if it's supplemental income to someone, not a full time profession.

Which was the idea. Lyft and Uber provide the platform for people to do so. I have no sympathy for Lyft or Uber, nor do I have sympathy for the drivers.

I also have no sympathy for any of the taxi drivers. I have been denied too often for not "going far enough" or "the direction they are going" by taxi drivers in Toronto and Vancouver.

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Which was the idea. Lyft and Uber provide the platform for people to do so. I have no sympathy for Lyft or Uber, nor do I have sympathy for the drivers.

I also have no sympathy for any of the taxi drivers. I have been denied too often for not "going far enough" or "the direction they are going" by taxi drivers in Toronto and Vancouver.

Did . . .

did  . .  .

did we just agree on something?

13 hours ago, Rick said:

I have no problem with Lyft and Uber drivers going on strike.  They can do whatever they like.

I also have no problem with a new startup replacing them once they do.

7 minutes ago, billvon said:

I don't see how Uber can survive when they start having to compete with smaller local companies. I would not invest there....

10 hours ago, billvon said:

I have no problem with Lyft and Uber drivers going on strike.  They can do whatever they like.

One of the 'funny' parts of this I haven't seen mentioned here is how Uber is treating their drivers.

They've cut pay from 80% of revenue down to 40%-60%.

In the stock announcement, they acknowledged that this policy will enhance profits, and screw over drivers. This is, of course, in addition to the fact that basic stuff like minimum wage, SS contributions and OSHA regs have never been in their business model.

“In particular, as we aim to reduce driver incentives to improve our financial performance, we expect driver dissatisfaction will generally increase,” 

You gotta wonder if their expected 'increase in driver dissatisfaction' included this strike.

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

One of the 'funny' parts of this I haven't seen mentioned here is how Uber is treating their drivers.

They've cut pay from 80% of revenue down to 40%-60%.

Yeah, this is one thing I was about to mention.  About the only thing I can see as a legitimate gripe from drivers is being told they were being paid one percentage, and actually receiving something much lower.  This has been going on for a couple of years -- I had a driver ask me if I minded telling him how much I paid for the trip.  He was comparing his compensation, based on reports from other drivers that Uber was giving them a lower cut, and learned they were right.

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

In the stock announcement, they acknowledged that this policy will enhance profits, and screw over drivers. ...

You gotta wonder if their expected 'increase in driver dissatisfaction' included this strike.

Well, at least they announced it!  Drivers at least have the information to determine whether to keep working for them after that.

19 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

Yeah, this is one thing I was about to mention.  About the only thing I can see as a legitimate gripe from drivers is being told they were being paid one percentage, and actually receiving something much lower. 

Yup, this shift to independent contractor type work, will eventually lead to changes in law and unionization.

A few years back I was running a bit short on disposable income.  I thought I'd give Uber a try...I reached some conclusions very quickly.

1.  They require a "newer" car.  If you have an outstanding loan you are simply trading the equity in your car for cash.

2.  The system is bad in that you never know where the ride wants to go.  I'd end up an hour away from home with no rider to go back with.  Even worse, you don't want to take a new rider when you're that far out for fear that they'll take you even further away.

3.  I'll be 90% or better of Uber drivers don't understand the tax implications.  Thousands of driver are now in debt to the IRS because they were either unaware or just didn't care.

4.  Uber recruited hard right before the holidays.  They hooked me and a million others.  I'm assuming it was to make sure there was enough capacity.  Right after the holidays they cut the rates significantly.

I have no sympathy for Uber and Lyft.  The system works because there will always be a fresh crop of willing participants to screw.

23 hours ago, airdvr said:

A few years back I was running a bit short on disposable income.  I thought I'd give Uber a try...I reached some conclusions very quickly.

1.  They require a "newer" car.  If you have an outstanding loan you are simply trading the equity in your car for cash.

2.  The system is bad in that you never know where the ride wants to go.  I'd end up an hour away from home with no rider to go back with.  Even worse, you don't want to take a new rider when you're that far out for fear that they'll take you even further away.

3.  I'll be 90% or better of Uber drivers don't understand the tax implications.  Thousands of driver are now in debt to the IRS because they were either unaware or just didn't care.

4.  Uber recruited hard right before the holidays.  They hooked me and a million others.  I'm assuming it was to make sure there was enough capacity.  Right after the holidays they cut the rates significantly.

I have no sympathy for Uber and Lyft.  The system works because there will always be a fresh crop of willing participants to screw.

Yes, it is capitalism at it’s finest. And they call it “ride sharing”.

Amway is alive and well and their business model is absolutely fascinating. Those at the top of the various Amway pyramids make 90% of their money from the sales of motivational tapes, books, and seminars to the newbies. Amway the corporation makes money from selling soap and other garbage to the newbies. 

Business for Amway must be doing ok to keep Our Secretary of Education rolling in the money.