3 3
turtlespeed

Sanctuary - what really happens when your bluff is called.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPJCWGnZNQ

Here are people being real - after they give their "feels good" opinion.

Welcome to reality.

Because that's not how state sanctuary programs work, you don't house them in individuals' homes.  These people also are not saying that they should be in someone else's home.

Right. 

Would I be in favor of refugees coming to my city, being able to find housing and work and making their homes here?

Sure. I'd even be willing to donate money to local charities to help them out. Maybe volunteer to help them get moved in, teach them stuff they need to know, that sort of thing.
In fact, my city went through that a fairly long time ago, when we had Hmong (Vietnamese) refugees settle here. Of course, the bigots and xenophobes all had shit-fits. 
They settled in quite well for the most part. A few criminals here & there, but no more than the rest of the 'native' population.

Would I want them in my house? 

No.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

That is EXACTLY what they are asked.

Ah yes.  That's a pretty ambiguous figure of speech he's using because that's not how it works.  I would also say, "Certainly, we should bring them into our homes" without a second thought that he was literally asking about someone coming into my home, that's not what the issue is, that's not what the question is.

6 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

That is EXACTLY what they are asked.

OK then.  I assume you will be accepting all the right wing terrorists at your place, then?  Great!  It gets them off the street - and you just might learn something.

29 minutes ago, billvon said:

OK then.  I assume you will be accepting all the right wing terrorists at your place, then?  Great!  It gets them off the street - and you just might learn something.

No - I dont harbor people like that.  NOR do I advocate that others should.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DJL said:

Ah yes.  That's a pretty ambiguous figure of speech he's using because that's not how it works.  I would also say, "Certainly, we should bring them into our homes" without a second thought that he was literally asking about someone coming into my home, that's not what the issue is, that's not what the question is.

And in most cases I assume those that advocate this plan of action have no intention whatsoever of following through.

The point is - its GREAT to say someone should do something, as long as it doesn't impact the person saying it.

Put your money where your mouth is.  If you are going to vote, or demand, or request something like that - be willing to take that same action.

Don't be a hypocrite.  

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

And in most cases I assume those that advocate this plan of action have no intention whatsoever of following through.

The point is - its GREAT to say someone should do something, as long as it doesn't impact the person saying it.

Put your money where your mouth is.  If you are going to vote, or demand, or request something like that - be willing to take that same action.

Don't be a hypocrite.  

Again, there is no program that literally puts refugees in people's houses.  I would be very happy to have a refugee family as my neighbor and I'd have them over to dinner and show them around.  It's a pretty simple non-issue but your example doesn't mean people are hypocrites because they don't want to put a refugee family in their spare bedroom or couch.

50 minutes ago, DJL said:

Again, there is no program that literally puts refugees in people's houses.  I would be very happy to have a refugee family as my neighbor and I'd have them over to dinner and show them around.  It's a pretty simple non-issue but your example doesn't mean people are hypocrites because they don't want to put a refugee family in their spare bedroom or couch.

Actually, yes.

These people were asked if refugees should be taken into our homes.

What they meant when they answered is, "They should be taken into homes OTHER THAN MINE"

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Actually, yes.

What they meant when they answered is, "They should be taken into homes OTHER THAN MINE" 

What a bunch of bullshit. Refugees don't want to move into other people's homes. They want a chance to build a life. I can understand why hordes of dirt poor non English speakers pouring over the border is an upsetting picture. But talking about it like it's a home invasion is just a scare tactic.

51 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

What a bunch of bullshit. Refugees don't want to move into other people's homes. They want a chance to build a life. I can understand why hordes of dirt poor non English speakers pouring over the border is an upsetting picture. But talking about it like it's a home invasion is just a scare tactic.

Well, they have to use that sort of scare tactic.

Admitting the inherent racism and xenophobia is something most of them aren't willing to do.

9 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Actually, yes.

You should give up on this while only a little behind. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

So, you don’t think that right wing groups should be allowed to live anywhere? Do you think there should be a law to keep them out of your city?

Edited by jakee

(edited)
9 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Actually, yes.

So your thread has nothing to do with the concept of sanctuary cities. Shouldn’t it be called “Sanctuary houses...” so we can all be clear that you’re talking about a concept no-one else is?

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Actually, yes.

Ahh the turtle special. Change some words and claim it is all the same.

Your understanding of English is either extremely poor, or you are trolling.

Actually, no we aren't.

He's trolled a fair amount of responses.

You'll notice he hasn't replied to my response. 
Maybe because it's rational and reasonable, and addresses the actual facts of the situation, rather than the 'made up' garbage that is typical of that sort of thing.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:54 PM, turtlespeed said:

Wow. That's exactly what happened. You ever been in the right and pointed out as being wrong by so many before? 

Trolling. Give me a break. 

On 4/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, turtlespeed said:

Ah!  So you will now come out against Trump's proposal to do just that, I assume?  Good for you!  Some consistency, finally.

On 4/16/2019 at 9:48 AM, SkyDekker said:

Ahh the turtle special. Change some words and claim it is all the same.

Your understanding of English is either extremely poor, or you are trolling.

Meh, it's Turtle; It's what he does. :P

(edited)

I'd be happy to help a refugee.  If, for a person or small family it would be helpful/appropriate, that help could include hosting in my home until they could get on their feet. I would sincerely hope that any religious organization in the U.S. would feel the same way.

Edited by TriGirl
additional comment
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 4:53 AM, turtlespeed said:

Don't be a hypocrite.  

Who is advocating it?

Who is demanding it?

Who is voting for it?

Who is this thread aimed at, except for the few people in Scandinavia caught out by this 'gotcha' question?

(edited)
6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Trolling. Give me a break. 

So what is his point, apart fom laughing at some random Vikings?

(By the way, shoudn't you be opposed to him commenting on a foreign political situation? I'm pretty sure you said something along those lines quite recently. I'd hate to think you were being some kind of hypocrite.)

Edited by jakee