mgoldade

Line-over

Ok, first of all, I'm not new to the sport, but only have 24 jumps. I did my PFF course in 1995 and gave it up for marriage. Damn I'm glad I cut away the wife for a parachute! LOL
I'm back in the sport with a vengence! I did my first jump in 10 years in the last week of May and have been at the DZ every week since. I have since bought a full rig with accessories. I was christened back into the sport by a wonderful group at Pacific Skydiving http://www.skydivevancouver.com and did a King air freefly last night at 16500!
I nailed my first sit-fly and it felt amazing!

But to the reason for my post. One of the instructors at the DZ is doing some amazing work! He is intentionally packing MAL's! Last week, he packed a line-over and jumped it. It cleared itself and he still cut away with a tershciary. Well, last night, Sheldon jumped the same MAL. But this time he sewed the lines in place. He had a cam mounted on his chest and a cameraman flying beside him. He opened to a perfect MAL! Almost half the canopy was collapsed. From the ground, you could see he was in trouble! Little did we know. His canopy was half inflated, but it met one of the requirements... "Is it flyable?". It was. It was not until he released the brakes that all hell broke loose. This thing got a mind of it's own! It whipped him every way but loose. And he actually got scared. He dumped high, so he was able to cut high! When he cut, he was not stable at all. I believe he said he saw the deployment through his legs. Well, to make a long story short, he got to the ground wired! Riding front risers on his reserve for a swoop. lol We talked later and wondered if a student would be prepared. Is it flyable???? It was until he released the brakes...
The guy who jumped the mal is Sheldon. Props to him and his cameraman for the video. It turned out amazing! If you want a copy, I'm sure it will be available soon with many more mal's. In the meantime, any thoughts on the students experiencing this type of mal? Watching the video of him getting whipped around like that was surreal. Is this something that should maybe be brought up in teh first jump course? If it flies straight??? But half the cells are collapsed???
2K Composites Dealer
TonySuits Dealer
Larsen & Brusgaard Dealer
CSPA C, Coach 1, Rigger A, Instructor A, Tandem Videographer / Photographer, EJR

His canopy was half inflated, but it met one of the requirements... "Is it flyable?". It was. It was not until he released the brakes that all hell broke loose.

Flyable doesn't matter. Landable does. And before you decide a canopy is landable, you must perform a controlability check, which involves releasing the brakes. At which which time you find out that the canopy wasn't landable and cutaway....

In the meantime, any thoughts on the students experiencing this type of mal? ... Is this something that should maybe be brought up in teh first jump course?

That's the point of a controllability check.

Is this something that should maybe be brought up in teh first jump course? If it flies straight??? But half the cells are collapsed???

Surely that is something which is brought up in the first jump course??!!! The UK and US can't be that different...

The first question a UK student is taught to ask themselves when they look up at the canopy is:

"Is it big and is it rectangular?" I'm thinking that if half the cells are collapsed then the answer to that is going to be 'no'. At which point they are not going to start messing around releasing the brakes, just get off it! :o

They are students, they are not stupid!:PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Ok, got the video saved to AVI. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU ARE AN EXPERT SKYDIVER!!! This was filmed with a cam mounted on the belly above the tertiary reserve. Opening was high with a packed line-over. The lines were actually sewed into the canopy to ensure it would not clear itself. The jumper who performed this is very experienced. The purpose of this is to create a training video for students. Out of respect, please do not distribute this openly. Donations for the repacks can be sent to Sheldon at Pacific Skydivers http://www.skydivevancouver.com/
More great video to come.
2K Composites Dealer
TonySuits Dealer
CSPA C, Coach 1, Rigger A, Instructor A, Tandem Videographer / Photographer, EJR

Ok, here it is:
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=4034
Sorry about the file size. It's a bit big. This is the best compression I could get. Again, Sheldon is intentionally packing these mal's. Enjoy the video.
B|
2K Composites Dealer
TonySuits Dealer

Flyability and landability are the same. Somantics.

Aaron

If we were really picky wouldn't all canopies be flyable (abeit badly) and landable. You should be checking the make sure the latter is survivable.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Aaron

Flyability != Landability. There are canopies that are sweet to fly, but are not necessarily survivable upon arrival.

I have been under more than one canopy that was flyable but not landable.

Semantics is the study of meaning; by and large, when people refer to semantics they have no idea at all what is the meaning of the term, which is singularly ironic.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Aaron

Flyability != Landability. There are canopies that are sweet to fly, but are not necessarily survivable upon arrival.

I have been under more than one canopy that was flyable but not landable.

Yup and more specific to this thread, I've heard stories where someone thought a canopy with a lineover was flyable but only when they were very low on final did they realize that their true rate of descent was much higher than they thought at altitude. That could get you hurt.

doesnt look to me like this guy has a proper set up for testing intentional mals shouldnt he chop to a main canopy first and then have his reserve for back up?Maybe deploy from a chest mount that he would be able to chop and then deploy a main?

>doesnt look to me like this guy has a proper set up for testing intentional mals . . . .

I can't load the video, but keep in mind that there are many different arrangements for intentional cutaways, including containers that house 3 canopies.

hes wearing a belly reserve that the cameras mounted on but only has one set of 3-rings which are released when he chops the lineover, the reserve seems to be standard (freebag etc) with no way i can see to cut it away, so im assuming that in the belly container hes just got a round reserve hed open into any mal?

He's wearing a belly reserve that the cameras mounted on but only has one set of 3-rings which are released when he chops the lineover, the reserve seems to be standard (freebag etc) with no way i can see to cut it away, so I'm assuming that in the belly container he's just got a round reserve he'd open into any mal?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes!

that sounds hideously dangerous! deal with a mess of lines and canopy by throwing another into it. sure it works though, otherwise he wouldnt do it, and isnt that what they used to do before 3 rings? throw the reserve out first (literally i heard, also a scary thought) and cut away afterwards if at all? early skydivers really were nuts