kallend

DNA tests prove man innocent after 40 years in prison.

It would appear that Christ and the Holy Spirit gave him strength and courage to endure. Now he has the victory.

From the article:

Brown wrote in his pardon that Coley has been a model inmate for 38 years, avoided gangs and violence, and dedicated himself to religion.

Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

It would appear that Christ and the Holy Spirit gave him strength and courage to endure. Now he has the victory.

From the article:

Brown wrote in his pardon that Coley has been a model inmate for 38 years, avoided gangs and violence, and dedicated himself to religion.

You could be correct and that could be the entirety of the reason why: "Brown wrote in his pardon that Coley has been a model inmate for 38 years, avoided gangs and violence, and dedicated himself to religion.

"The grace with which Mr. Coley has endured this lengthy and unjust incarceration is extraordinary," Brown wrote."

But don't let it go to your head as a clock is right twice a day.:)

I would recognize how his focus gave him the strength to maintain in the most adverse condition.

When I was a counselor in a partial hospitalization substance abuse treatment program patients lived in provided housing and spent their days in treatment. Since the 12 Steps indicated the belief in a higher power many sought local religious organizations in their own time. One of the most successful religions in my area was the Jehovah Witness group. The JW neophytes are directed into intense study and assignment which provided the necessary complementary psychological structure for my patients to deal with and overcome their cravings and learn a different path of life.

I could not accept that path for me but I had to recognize and accept that it was very successful for my patients.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

DanG

Ah, so if he's a Christian it was Christ giving him strength, but if he's anything else then his religion is just a useful mental construct. An introspective person might ponder that with an open mind.

That is correct. I was just discussing that concept that with my wife.

We obtain victory through the comfort of the Holy Spirit in Christ. Religion teaches coping mechanisms.

2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.

Even though he was in prison, as Paul was in prison, he had the victory of freedom in the spirit and peace in his soul through Christ.

Or, he had some religious practice that helped him take his mind off the fact that he was incarcerated.

I'm of the opinion that 'belief' is a necessity of the human condition. We all need things to believe in, whether it's a deity, your own self, the laws and rules of society, or something entirely different.

The requirement for belief becomes stronger in more desperate circumstances and religion is just an pre-packaged form of belief - it's the convenience food of belief systems.

Instead of developing a belief structure of their own, I suspect having a pre-prepared one in the form of a religion is the easier option for many people.

Ron is a great example; He believes, therefore he is 'saved'. It's an easy solution... There's no effort, thought or responsibility in it, just a comforting quick-fix for a peculiarity of human nature.

normiss

As well as the perspective that you're suddenly better than "those people" because god.
:P

Added to that is the attitude that their belief system and/or deity is irrelevant because it's not his and therefore, even if they do good works, they're all going to hell.

I spent a year homeless after leaving the armed forces and generally found that Muslims and Sikhs were far more willing to give no strings attached charity. Most "Christian" soup kitchens were far more interested in imposing conditions on me as a price for their charity.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

jclalor

Are you in favor of expedited capital punishment?

A few years ago I would have replied yes, now no.

We are seeing where DNA is revealing miscarriages of justice.

RonD1120

***Are you in favor of expedited capital punishment?

I'd support expedited capital punishment only in cases where there is clear DNA evidence of guilt. In decades old cases where such evidence isn't clear, no.

nolhtairt

******Are you in favor of expedited capital punishment?

I'd support expedited capital punishment only in cases where there is clear DNA evidence of guilt. In decades old cases where such evidence isn't clear, no.

Unfortunately many cases have shown that DNA evidence is often incorrect/ misleading/ misinterpreted. It's rarely the slam dunk fictional crime series would have you believe it is.
Humans are fallible, which is one reason the death penalty is a bad idea. The second, entirely pragmatic one is that the death penalty is generally many times more expensive than incarcerating someone for life.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

nolhtairt

******Are you in favor of expedited capital punishment?

Define clear?

The academy award winning documentary “Murder on a Sunday morning” is a great movie if you’re interested on how easy it is to convict the wrong person in a murder. Even with an eyewitness and a confession.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vK0RX4Wh1tE

normiss

Seems the desperation of being incarcerated leads a lot of people to religion.
Some have even used it as an effort to have the Supreme Court cancel their death penalty appointment.
Didn't work. No salvation through the courts!

Worked like a champ.

"We admire your personal relationship with God (tm), and we have arranged a personal meeting with him in, oh, ten minutes. Say hi for us."

jclalor

*********Are you in favor of expedited capital punishment?

Define clear?

The academy award winning documentary “Murder on a Sunday morning” is a great movie if you’re interested on how easy it is to convict the wrong person in a murder. Even with an eyewitness and a confession.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vK0RX4Wh1tE

Although DNA evidence weren't required in Timothy McVeigh's and the DC Sniper's cases, the evidence otherwise were overwhelming. They both were put to death in what, 6 or 7 years following their convictions, by the federal death penalty. Good riddance.