jclalor

Oprah in 2020?

Campaign slogan:

"You get healthcare! You get healthcare! Everybody gets healthcare!"

:D

Hell, if it was Charlie Sheen running against Drumpf, I'd vote for Charlie.:P

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I've never watched any of her shows. She is qualified. Although I'd like to hear some sort of comprehensive political agenda.

She is not stupid. "Oprah attended Tennessee State University on a full scholarship she had won based on her communication skills. In 1973, she graduated with a degree in Speech Communications and Performing Arts.
http://biography.yourdictionary.com/articles/where-oprah-winfrey-go-school.html#DR5TLXbpHQkpGs3M.99 Reagan was a a cheerleader,studied economics and sociology, at Eureka College.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Reagan

further:
https://www.fastcompany.com/3051589/the-key-to-oprah-winfreys-success-radical-focus

ryoder

Campaign slogan:

"You get healthcare! You get healthcare! Everybody gets healthcare!"

:D

Hell, if it was Charlie Sheen running against Drumpf, I'd vote for Charlie.:P

"If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons." - Winston Churchill

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jclalor

She’s a thousand times more qualified than Trump, but she is still not qualified.

I hope she is a nominee. That would guarantee four more years for Trump.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***She’s a thousand times more qualified than Trump, but she is still not qualified.

I hope she is a nominee. That would guarantee four more years for Trump.

No, silly.

Presidents can pardon or commute prison sentences.
They can't arbitrarily increase them
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This'll totally be a meme on FB if there ever is a run.
Folks, an Oprah-Trump run would be appalling. Not because Oprah is appalling, but, yeah, she has no qualifications other than being really personable and smart. It'd be a media frenzy/lovefest, and sell lots and lots of content. What could possibly go wrong?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

DanG

If the Dms nominate Oprah I will vote third party. She is not stupid, but she is nowhere near qualified to be president.

Did you vote for HRC? Or did you feel she was not qualified either? What does it mean to be qualified these days?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I did vote for HRC. I didn't particularly like her, but she was completely qualified. Let's compare her resume to Oprah's.

HRC:
Law school
Practicing attorney, including public defender time
Years of experience as the Arkansas and then the US First Lady
US Senator
Secretary of State

Oprah:
Degree in communications and performance
Actress
TV talk show host
Head of (fairly unsuccessful) media company

Yeah, Hillary and Oprah aren't in the same league.

- Dan G

DanG

I did vote for HRC. I didn't particularly like her, but she was completely qualified. Let's compare her resume to Oprah's.

HRC:
Law school
US Senator
Secretary of State

Oprah:
Actress
TV talk show host

And that's definitely an abbreviated list of what she did between law school and FLOTUS.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***I did vote for HRC. I didn't particularly like her, but she was completely qualified. Let's compare her resume to Oprah's.

HRC:
Law school
US Senator
Secretary of State

Oprah:
Actress
TV talk show host

And that's definitely an abbreviated list of what she did between law school and FLOTUS.

Agree, Whitewater comes to mind. With political service baggage comes with it. HRC had a cartload of baggage before she got into politics.

DanG

If the Dms nominate Oprah I will vote third party. She is not stupid, but she is nowhere near qualified to be president.

I agree 1000%.

The problem with Trump winning last November is that suddenly everyone thinks they're qualified to be Commander in Chief. That they'd be slightly better than the current imbecile isn't really an endorsement - he sets the bar pretty low.

IMO Oprah is in absolutely no way qualified for the position and would likely be as much a disaster as Trump is. I won't vote for her.

yoink

***If the Dms nominate Oprah I will vote third party. She is not stupid, but she is nowhere near qualified to be president.

I agree 1000%.

The problem with Trump winning last November is that suddenly everyone thinks they're qualified to be Commander in Chief. That they'd be slightly better than the current imbecile isn't really an endorsement - he sets the bar pretty low.

IMO Oprah is in absolutely no way qualified for the position and would likely be as much a disaster as Trump is. I won't vote for her.

I think Oprah would be a lot more willing and able to see her own shortcomings. I think she would be smart enough to find advisers who are experienced and knowledgeable.

I don't know if I would vote for her, but I would certainly vote for her if she was running against Trump.

And, it's absolutely appalling to see some of the reaction from Trump supporters towards her.
Same racist, sexist, hateful bullshit.

Not surprising, but pretty sad.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

******If the Dms nominate Oprah I will vote third party. She is not stupid, but she is nowhere near qualified to be president.

I agree 1000%.

I think Oprah would be a lot more willing and able to see her own shortcomings. I think she would be smart enough to find advisers who are experienced and knowledgeable.

I don't know if I would vote for her, but I would certainly vote for her if she was running against Trump.

And, it's absolutely appalling to see some of the reaction from Trump supporters towards her.
Same racist, sexist, hateful bullshit.

Not surprising, but pretty sad.

If she had no education I would say that she would be less qualified. Thats not to say that the right person with a grade 12 would be unqualified. Judgement is the key part of leadership. You should surround yourself with the best people and listen to what they say. It takes good judgement to arrive at the best answer, direction and formulate the means to get there. i.e. where you're going.

Her biggest problem would be the state actors like Kim in N. Korea. Who would immediately want to challenger her because she is black and a woman. I think these questions would be flushed out in a political campaign. She did not develop a 2.5 billion dollar company being stupid. Being weak, or compliant in the face of tough decisions.

Great Leaders Don’t Need Experience
The research: Gautam Mukunda studied political, business, and military leaders, categorizing them into two groups: “filtered leaders,” insiders whose careers followed a normal progression; and “unfiltered leaders,” who either were outsiders with little experience or got their jobs through fluke circumstances. He then compared the groups’ effectiveness; for instance, with U.S. presidents, he looked at historians’ rankings from the past 60 years. He discovered that the unfiltered leaders were the most effective—and also the least effective—while highly filtered leaders landed in the middle of the pack.
https://hbr.org/2012/10/great-leaders-dont-need-experience
Above should be a free read for most.

Below is a interview of the aforementioned author by Fortune magazine:
Do presidents need experience?
http://fortune.com/2012/08/24/do-presidents-need-experience/

Oprah is successful because she is a communicator that connects really well with her target market. Women. Women vote.

If she surrounded herself with top notch policy advisors. Formulated a message with national, international and solid economic agendas. Delivered those messages with firmness and democratic support. She could be successful as a president and leader in politics.

trump meets today with Mrs. Erna Solberg Prime Minister of Norway. Her biography:
"Solberg had some struggles at school and at the age 16 was diagnosed as suffering from dyslexia. ...

a firm stance on asylum policy, earned her the nickname "Jern-Erna" (Norwegian for "Iron Erna") in the media.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erna_Solberg

yoink

***If the Dms nominate Oprah I will vote third party. She is not stupid, but she is nowhere near qualified to be president.

I agree 1000%.

Where she is more qualified: she has actually worked with real people outside the country; understands life in poor, developing countries; and understands the spectrum of socio-economic societal spheres both within and outside the U.S. She has witnessed firsthand how education and opportunities lift a community and lead to progress and self-sustainment, and actively advocates for those opportunities on behalf of disadvantage people.

Does that mean she's qualified to be president? She certainly has more business savvy, interpersonal skills (diplomacy), and global experience than many who have held the office -- most notably the current occupant.

AlanS

***She’s a thousand times more qualified than Trump, but she is still not qualified.

She is qualified, and so are many other people. We need to stop limiting our choices to career politicians.

I agree with you. The qualifications are clearly spelled out. It's not the kind of job you can train for anyway. It's a job calling for wisdom and hard work.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

AlanS

She is qualified, and so are many other people. We need to stop limiting our choices to career politicians.

Once this country sank to the point of making us choose between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump I gave up on trying to predict anything. Nothing seems too ridiculous to happen anymore.

Bob_Church

******She’s a thousand times more qualified than Trump, but she is still not qualified.

Once this country sank to the point of making us choose between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump I gave up on trying to predict anything. Nothing seems too ridiculous to happen anymore.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OUTSTANDING