kallend

Solution to the death penalty problem

A Romanian court has declared a man dead even though he is still clearly alive.

www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/world/europe/romania-dead-man.html

While this sounds like something from Gilbert & Sullivan (Mikado), this solves the problems associated with the death penalty in the USA.

No need for messy botched executions with protesters marching outside the walls. The judge just declares the convicted person to be dead. Then for all practical purposes he/she IS dead.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

A Romanian court has declared a man dead even though he is still clearly alive.

www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/world/europe/romania-dead-man.html

While this sounds like something from Gilbert & Sullivan (Mikado), this solves the problems associated with the death penalty in the USA.

No need for messy botched executions with protesters marching outside the walls. The judge just declares the convicted person to be dead. Then for all practical purposes he/she IS dead.

But have you seen his photo? It sounds pretty cut and dry until then.
I do have a big question about the death penalty though. No, I'm not talking for or against, please put those thoughts aside. This has nothing to do with that.
But, if, and I'm just saying if, bear with me, we're going to have a death penalty then why is it such a pain in the ass to carry out? There are people in the CIA that can pat you on the back as they walk by and the next thing you know you're dead. People die every day, and sometimes from really trivial stuff. When I was at the phone company one of our big concerns was not going into a manhole then suddenly being dead. Techs at NASA were in a fuel tank that was filled with nitrogen and probably didn't even know they were dying. Half our economy is about trying to keep some people alive. And yet you'd think every execution was a Moon shot.

>But, if, and I'm just saying if, bear with me, we're going to have a death penalty then
>why is it such a pain in the ass to carry out?

Because when the government kills one of its citizens they better be VERY VERY sure that it's deserved.

billvon

>But, if, and I'm just saying if, bear with me, we're going to have a death penalty then

Because when the government kills one of its citizens they better be VERY VERY sure that it's deserved.

No, I think he means how on earth do you guys keep fucking up the actual act of killing someone? How is it that 60 years ago we still used a wooden platform and a rope and it was quicker, cleaner, more humane and more reliable than the chemical clusterfuck the US has found itself with?

Hell, say what you like about the Soviet Union but it seems like a bullet in the head would be a better way of doing things in almost every respect. Except the blood would offend the spectators who turned up to watch a human being die, which is clearly more of a consideration than gown the chosen method affects the subject of the sentence.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Gov't declaring a guy dead is a cruel punishment!
He could not legally work, rental an apartment, drive, drink alcohol, etc.
Being dead would confine him to the skid-row of Vancouver's Downtown East Side. He would live a hard-scrabble life wandering from soup kitchen to soup-kitchen, sleeping in doorways, no medical care, etc. It is little wonder that so many homeless people do drugs. I would not want to live that life sober!
The dead man would need to resort to petty crime to earn cash.
In many respects that existence is a crueler punishment than execution.

riggerrob

Gov't declaring a guy dead is a cruel punishment!
Being dead would confine him to the skid-row of Vancouver's Downtown East Side. He would live a hard-scrabble life wandering from soup kitchen to soup-kitchen, sleeping in doorways, no medical care, etc. It is little wonder that so many homeless people do drugs. I would not want to live that life sober!

Nope, he just becomes an undocumented alien from Hades and has to mow lawns, shovel snow or pick fruit.

jakee

***>But, if, and I'm just saying if, bear with me, we're going to have a death penalty then

No, I think he means how on earth do you guys keep fucking up the actual act of killing someone?

A common belief among many death penalty proponents is that the death penalty would better serve as a deterrent if those who are sentenced to death went directly from sentencing to the death chamber. I interpreted his comment as Billvon did.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

kallend

***Gov't declaring a guy dead is a cruel punishment!

Nope, he just becomes an undocumented alien from Hades and has to mow lawns, shovel snow or pick fruit.

Or kill someone and take their stuff.

jakee

***>But, if, and I'm just saying if, bear with me, we're going to have a death penalty then

No, I think he means how on earth do you guys keep fucking up the actual act of killing someone? How is it that 60 years ago we still used a wooden platform and a rope and it was quicker, cleaner, more humane and more reliable than the chemical clusterfuck the US has found itself with?

Hell, say what you like about the Soviet Union but it seems like a bullet in the head would be a better way of doing things in almost every respect. Except the blood would offend the spectators who turned up to watch a human being die, which is clearly more of a consideration than gown the chosen method affects the subject of the sentence.

The Soviet system was serious punishment. They'd tell the condemned what was going to happen but not when. Then, like their victim, they've lost control of their life. Now every time they hear a footstep or doors clanging open or being closed they know that this might be it, this might be the time they're led to the shower and shot in the back of the head. Or not.
Support it or not, it had a genius to it.

jakee

They're actually speeding up executions, or at least trying to, to get them all killed before the sell by date on the drugs they use runs out. Around here we have at least one death a day of someone with a needle in their arm but The State needs a machine with three feeds and blinking lights and still screws it up more often than not. If we really need the death penalty, and we really want to be humane about it (two big ifs but that's not a discussion I'm interested in, it never gets resolved) then give them a dose and a half of fentynal. Total cost less than a hundred dollars and the condemned dies with a very large smile on their face. Most people who get this far in the prison system already have an extensive history of drug use so we could probably save another fifty dollars by having them inject themselves. We'd probably see far fewer screwups, too.

jcd11235

******>But, if, and I'm just saying if, bear with me, we're going to have a death penalty then

No, I think he means how on earth do you guys keep fucking up the actual act of killing someone?

A common belief among many death penalty proponents is that the death penalty would better serve as a deterrent if those who are sentenced to death went directly from sentencing to the death chamber. I interpreted his comment as Billvon did.

So you didn't read any of what he said after the quoted sentence?

Not sure how you explain that context if you interpret the statement your way.

jakee

Not sure how you explain that context if you interpret the statement your way.

I fail to see why the statement would seem inconsistent with my interpretation. The argument goes back much further than states' struggles to get the actual killing aspect of the executions. No need to assume a new interpretation.

jcd11235

***Not sure how you explain that context if you interpret the statement your way.

I fail to see why the statement would seem inconsistent with my interpretation. The argument goes back much further than states' struggles to get the actual killing aspect of the executions. No need to assume a new interpretation.
Ok....

You see the thing is that I'm replying to what he said, and you're replying to what a bunch of other people who aren't here have said.

jakee

You see the thing is that I'm replying to what he said, and you're replying to what a bunch of other people who aren't here have said.

I read his whole post. It was the basis of my interpretation. If you don't get that your interpretation is not the only reasonable one, then further discussion seems pointless.

jcd11235

***You see the thing is that I'm replying to what he said, and you're replying to what a bunch of other people who aren't here have said.

I read his whole post. It was the basis of my interpretation.

You just said that a pre-existing argument made by other people was the basis for your interpretation. You're assuming something beyond what was actually said.

jakee

You just said that a pre-existing argument made by other people was the basis for your interpretation. You're assuming something beyond what was actually said.

You're reading WAY more into posts than what is actually written. Don't confuse what I've said with what you've (incorrectly) inferred.

Talk about going down a rabbit hole here.

The death penalty situation in the US is truly a mess. Why? Because the system itself is being slowly put to death. And a few states are resisting the inevitable end of executions. The California death row farce is just astounding.

There are people who deserve to die for the things they have done. But the price of killing them is too high, and the gain from killing them is too small.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

There are people who deserve to die for the things they have done. But the price of killing them is too high, and the gain from killing them is too small.

^This. Big time.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jcd11235

***You just said that a pre-existing argument made by other people was the basis for your interpretation. You're assuming something beyond what was actually said.

You're reading WAY more into posts than what is actually written. Don't confuse what I've said with what you've (incorrectly) inferred.

Whaaaat? In post #7 you clearly and definitely explain that you interpreted his post the way you did because of a common belief among other people. That's why you read more into the original post than was actually written.

Really not sure what you're trying to gain by lying about it now?:S

From the libretto of The Mikado:

MIKADO. I see. But my difficulty is that, as you have slain the Heir
Apparent

Enter NANKI-POO and YUM-YUM. They kneel.

NANKI-POO. The Heir-Apparent is not slain.

MIKADO. Bless my heart, my son !

YUM. And your daughter-in-law elected !

KATISHA. (Setting Ko-Ko.) Traitor, you have deceived me I

MIKADO. Yes, you are entitled to a little explanation, but I think he
will give it better whole than in pieces.

KO-KO. Your Majesty, it's like this. It is true that I stated that I had
killed Nanki-Poo

MIKADO. Yes, with most affecting particulars.

POOH-BAH. Merely corroborative detail Intended to give verisimilitude
to a bald and

KO-KO. Will you refrain from putting in your oar (To MIK.) It's
like this : when your Majesty says, " Let a thing be done," it's as good as done, practically, it is done. Because your Majesty's will is law.
Your Majesty says, " Kill a gentleman," and a gentleman is told off to
be killed. Consequently, that gentleman is as good as dead; practi-
cally, he is dead, and if he is dead, why not say so?

MIKADO. I see. Nothing could possibly be more satisfactory !

wolfriverjoe

^This. Big time.

trump to release opioid epidemic plan on Monday that includes death penalty
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/379049-trump-to-release-plan-addressing-opioid-epidemic-on-monday

"A recent phone conversation between U.S. President Donald Trump and controversial Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has been leaked and published by the Intercept.

Of particular note is that Trump effusively praised Duterte for his prosecution of the Philippines' drug war, which has killed thousands and seen the alleged use of extrajudicial death squads. ...

"I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem," Trump told Duterte. "Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that."
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-05-24/donald-trump-praised-rodrigo-dutertes-drug-efforts-told-him-about-nuclear-subs-transcript-reveals

Extrajudicial killings by state paid actors and the death penalty. Is there any reason why evangelicals don't worship and love trump?

jakee

Really not sure what you're trying to gain by lying about it now?

Which is why the more reasonable explanation is that you inferred from my posts what was not written.

Hint: Basing my response on his full post and recognizing that his full post was consistent with commonly held "concerns" about the death penalty are not mutually exclusive.

Some states are now considering changing the method of death penalty to nitrogen chambers. You just go to sleep, forever. You won't feel a thing.

That will get around the issue of drug companies complaining about their drugs being used for it, as well as avoid potential botched attempts.

nolhtairt

Some states are now considering changing the method of death penalty to nitrogen chambers. You just go to sleep, forever. You won't feel a thing.

That will get around the issue of drug companies complaining about their drugs being used for it, as well as avoid potential botched attempts.

You mean like a chamber they can be marched or rolled into and then gassed? Sounds very efficient. To increase efficiency, they could build just a few around the country and ship the condemned to them in trains.