adventurechick

downsizing....

How many jumps did you do on one canopy before you downsized?

I bought a 170 spectre, but i've been jumping a 190 spectre and sabre II the last 10 jumps and I've been able to land where I've wanted and stand almost all of them up.... but is 10 jumps too soon? My exit weight is close to 150.

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

17 on a 280
13 on a 230
10 jumps on a 210
23 on a 190
150 jumps on a 170
now have a 150

Don't think 10 jumps is too soon based on your wingloading but it depends on your canopy skills. If you say that you stand up almost all of your landings under your 170 then that's not very reassuring ;). You should have said:" I stand up all of my landings".

I would say take it slow and easy on any and all down sizing. If you do a search there is a down sizing chart somewhere in here for recommendations.

Personally talk to one of the instructors your local DZ for there recommendations if ten jumps is enough to work on a smaller rig. I would say no, but I dont know your canopy flying ablities etc.... But i am also some one that tries to be safe then sorry.

ken
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

I am also on the lighter side, and actually found it easier to land the smaller canopies due to having more glide. I was on a 170 by jump 50-something and put a good 100 or so jumps on the 170 before getting my 150 which I'm loving!

The best way to know if you're ready is to talk to an instructor/jumpmaster at the DZ - someone who has been watching your landings. Good luck and soft landings! :)

-Chanti-

There is no majic formula for downsizing. There are a few reasons to downsize.

At your level and your exit weight, you will progress from canopy to canopy quickly until you get a proper wing loading with a conservative wing to start learning more about canopy piloting.

In your case, I would be willing to bet it's a 170. Here you can start to use risers up high and actually get your canopy to move! You'll learn how to fly properly in the pattern with other parachutes. You can learn how to use the wind to fly instead of fighting the wind.

So, my point is. For lighter jumpers, it's okay to go quickly from a Student 260 canopy to a good beginner canopy.

Just make sure that you feel confident and in control of every size as you move down to that 170. If you feel like things are moving to fast for your comfort level on any given canopy, then jump one size bigger until you regain that confidence.

Some students put 2 or 3 jumps in between sizes to get to that starting point and some 50 - 60.

Trust yourself. Know your abilities. Know your limitations.

And for goodness sake, have FUN!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

500 on a 220
100 on a 177
100 on a 190
200 on a 170
200 on a 150
1300 on a 120
800 0n a 107/109 so far

These totals exclude some 1600 other dives done on Tandem rigs and CRW rags sized from 150 to 132 sq ft.

The reason for the 500 on 220's is that that was pretty much all there was in those days.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I would love to help out, but to suggest anything other then the conservative approach would be foolish.
Talk to a knowledegable person who has seen a large enough number of your landings and get that persons take on your skills and weather they feel it would be safe.

30 288

400 220

500 120

1200 105

1500 89

the rest from 63 to 500
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

>How many jumps did you do on one canopy before you downsized?

Started on DC5's (300 sq ft 5 cells)
Mantas 50 jumps
Pursuit 215 ~50 jumps
PD190 ~300 jumps
Sabre 1 150 ~1000 jumps
Triathalon 135 ~400 jumps
Safire 1 129 ~500 jumps
After that, it gets confusing because I'd have more than one canopy. Crossfire 109, Nitro 108 and Pilot 117 were the primary ones.

>How many jumps did you do on one canopy before you downsized?

Started on DC5's (300 sq ft 5 cells)
Mantas 50 jumps
Pursuit 215 ~50 jumps
PD190 ~300 jumps
Sabre 1 150 ~1000 jumps
Triathalon 135 ~400 jumps
Safire 1 129 ~500 jumps
After that, it gets confusing because I'd have more than one canopy. Crossfire 109, Nitro 108 and Pilot 117 were the primary ones.

Bill how was it going from a 190 to a 150 like that?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

>Bill how was it going from a 190 to a 150 like that?

It was a very big jump. I ordered a 170, but the dealer forgot to order it. Six months later he mentioned that he had forgotten. I had already made some jumps on a 170, and thought that it would be wise to just get the 150. In retrospect something like a Triathalon 160 might have been a better choice. (No injuries or anything but I realized that I wasn't as good as I thought I was when I got the 150.)

*low jump number alert*

I was on a Sabre 2 210 off student status when I bought a rig with a Sabre 2 170 in it. I bought a Safire 189 to put in my gear instead, and jumped it for 80 or 90 jumps before I tried the 170. That included a bunch of hop and pops and a canopy course.

In general, I think it's the case that lots of people get hurt from downsizing too quickly, and not very many get hurt by flying something a bit larger for another 100 jumps.
Well, the door was open...