rushmc

the 4th of July confession

For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School
For all of you who did choose to serve, I can only offer my thanks.

Because of you I have been able to retire. I can get my boat out and go on the lake and fish and drink and do whatever the hell I want.

Telling you thanks you seems so insignificant. But that's all I can do! Thank you.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School

Because of you I have been able to retire. I can get my boat out and go on the lake and fish and drink and do whatever the hell I want.

Telling you thanks you seems so insignificant. But that's all I can do! Thank you.

Just out of idle curiosity - what has 'the military' done exactly to enable you to go fishing?
Who have they defended you against?

rushmc

Thank you for not serving. Our military needs more independent thinkers and less blind followers.

And how dare you make such a confession at a time when your President ignores our military while heaping praise on the leader of our greatest adversary, while talking shit about an American hero dying of cancer and the charitable efforts of a sickly 94 year old X POTUS who just lost his wife.

FWIW, the British civilian died over the weekend from her wounds received directly from your presidents best friend.

Thanks again for doing the right thing and avoiding military service.

Erroll

***For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School

Just out of idle curiosity - what has 'the military' done exactly to enable you to go fishing?

Being forced to learn to speak German, in my lifetime.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

******For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School

Who has forced you to speak German?

jclalor

*********For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School

Let me break it down. The question was, who have they defended you against? My response was, that in my lifetime it was Germany.

Vietnam was not a particularly good war but, it was the only one we had at the time. Those of us in the military from 1959 - 1975 have a bond that others simply do not have nor do they understand.

We relate well to the Korean War veterans because it was the first of the political wars, not a declared war. Vietnam was also a political war.

All veterans relate to WWII veterans.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jclalor

***For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School

Thank you for not serving. Our military needs more independent thinkers and less blind followers.

Well they need lifetime privates as well. Grunts that will follow orders immediately, without question. Pickett's Charge comes to mind when thinking of Marc.

RonD1120

************For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School

Let me break it down. The question was, who have they defended you against? My response was, that in my lifetime it was Germany.

Vietnam was not a particularly good war but, it was the only one we had at the time. Those of us in the military from 1959 - 1975 have a bond that others simply do not have nor do they understand.

We relate well to the Korean War veterans because it was the first of the political wars, not a declared war. Vietnam was also a political war.

All veterans relate to WWII veterans.

Agree. On the fourth of July some introspective examination of the position of the military in the US psyche should be made.

Currently the "rebuilding" of US military might is underway. Which, unfortunately, tends to lead to more wars in the "defense of US interests". In Ron's line of thinking "thank God" that General Mattis is still in charge. When trump babbles on about an invasion of Venezuela. The misuse of military force and the casual disregard for troopers lives can't be understated.

Here is an excellent story on how Americans take the deployment of service members for granted. How politicians play the military for political advantage.
The Tragedy of the American Military
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/01/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/

Perhaps West Point needs a 1/2 class on when a officer needs to stand up to a politician. To refuse a mission, make public statements exposing the lies and false missions which the state demands. To resign as an example, or refuse to serve a mission that would result in the deaths of Americans for false political purpose.

Perhaps the military code of conduct needs a section for when a service member faces court martial. For refusing the orders of a president, or congress. Such that a promotion is the judicial decision arising when a general refuses a order to go to unneeded, or unjust wars.

Alas, such a check on the foolishness of politicians can't work. Mission creep, deployments with vague ideals are the table fare of armchair general politicians. Apathy of the citizens, the cancer that chews at the military.

RonD1120

******For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School

That would be the RAF in 1940, and the Red Army at Stalingrad in 1942, right?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

*********For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School

Allies at the time, you are correct.

RonD1120

Oh, please.

Hitler never planned on invading or conquering the US. Neither did Japan.

Germany wanted to rule Europe, most of Africa and western Asia. Japan wanted eastern Asia, Australia and the western Pacific.

The US would have been left alone, with Mexico, Canada, Central America & South America.

No US soldiers have died defending "our" freedom (the freedom of US citizens and soil) since the 19th century.

Since WW 1, all of our wars have been defending (or attacking) other places and peoples.

Yes, you can argue that the Japanese invaded and occupied part of Alaska. But the Aleutian Islands are hardly "homeland" for the US. Before "The Deadliest Catch" came on TV, I highly doubt more than a tiny fraction could have found them on a map.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Oh, please.

Hitler never planned on invading or conquering the US. Neither did Japan.

Germany wanted to rule Europe, most of Africa and western Asia. Japan wanted eastern Asia, Australia and the western Pacific.

The US would have been left alone, with Mexico, Canada, Central America & South America.

No US soldiers have died defending "our" freedom (the freedom of US citizens and soil) since the 19th century.

Since WW 1, all of our wars have been defending (or attacking) other places and peoples.

Yes, you can argue that the Japanese invaded and occupied part of Alaska. But the Aleutian Islands are hardly "homeland" for the US. Before "The Deadliest Catch" came on TV, I highly doubt more than a tiny fraction could have found them on a map.

You have earned your place in the Order of the Young Lords of Flawless Logic.

tkhayes

I was not aware that the 4th of July was a holiday dedicated to veterans or the military? I thought it was about the founding of the country.

Then why is it done on July 4th?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

wolfriverjoe

My point exactly.

Having served myself (20 years - incl Citizen Force) and having been to war, I have only respect for others who serve and have served, but let's keep it real.

Marc, enjoy the fishing anyways!

RonD1120

************For reasons I'm not going to go into in this post my biggest regret is not joining the military when I left High School

Allies at the time, you are correct.

Incorrect.

In 1940 the USA was sitting on its collective thumbs and the US Ambassador to Britain was advising Roosevelt to refrain from sending any aid as Britain would capitulate within 2 weeks.

BIGUN

***I was not aware that the 4th of July was a holiday dedicated to veterans or the military? I thought it was about the founding of the country.

Then why is it done on July 4th?

The 4th of July is done on July 4th because that's the most appropriate date to celebrate 4th of July.

rushmc

Pretty much all the changes in society that have enabled you, as a working man, to retire in good health to go fishing have been brought to you by LIBERALS and opposed by conservatives.

>Then why is it done on July 4th?

Because it was the date that the US adopted the Declaration of Independence, the document that created the United States of America. That's why it is very common to do readings of that document on the 4th.

(It is worth noting that the Continental Congress actually voted for independence on July 2nd; the 4th was chosen for the celebration since that was the date the Declaration of Independence was finished.)

US military veterans are celebrated on Veteran's Day.

RonD1120

Wow Ron, I never knew you weren't from the USA.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?