RonD1120

Jewish/Hebrew Analysis of the Solar Eclipse

RonD1120

Golf does not concern me at all.

BTW, I go to my church for the music. We have professional studio quality musicians. They play praise and worship music in the Southern Rock style. Yesterday we had a 2.5 hour concert with no preaching. We were dancing in the aisles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah!
Religion as entertainment!

From many peasants' perspective - for thousands of years - religion was the only form of entertainment in most communities.
Most music and sculpture contained religious themes. This was before the inter web, before recorded music, before television, before radio, before print media .......
Similarly, holy days frequently included freasts. One statistic says that during the Middle Ages, Polish peasants ate 25 percent of their calories during religious feasts and holy day food was often of higher quality than their normal boring diets.

As for the debate between religion and science ....... remember that we currently live in a society with more scientific explanations than all previous societies. When earlier cultures could not scientifically explain a phenomenon (because they lacked satellites or electron microscopes) they used "God in the gaps" to complete their explanations of the natural world.
Finally, tithing was a form of taxation back in the days when churches provided most of the social services: entertainment, marials, burials, bar mitzvas, orphanages, hospitals, schools, etc.

As for the debate between religion and science ....... remember that we currently live in a society with more scientific explanations than all previous societies.

Yes, science is great. But it will never explain the things that we can never know. The great thing about religion is the way it can shape and mold things. There are no facts in religion, only nebulous "beliefs". And they can and do change whenever leaders can find new ways of filling new needs. No proof is needed, just follow the leader or be cast out.

Religion is just fine with me. As long as it is never allowed to become law.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

vet them and weed out the bad ones

The thing I find troubling about this is the inference that I, at least, draw, that these groups (and possibly others) require more vetting than random good ol' boys wearing Tshirts and ball caps.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

nolhtairt

To no one in particular.

What I find amazing is that we have scientists and mathematicians who can calculate when and where, each eclipse will occur, years and decades in advance.

Yet, we cannot get the fucking airlines to figure out a fair ticket/seating system for everyone without screwing some people over. :|

Why do the airlines gouge their passengers? Why does a dog lick his balls?

I recall a story from a war correspondent during the unpleasantness in Southeast Asia, who was in Cambodia during a total solar eclipse. The only one that shows up that fits the bill was on 23 November 1965, which seems outside the time line, but what the hell.

In any event, the story was that during the eclipse the Government forces fired every round they could get their hands on, to scare off the dragon that had eaten the sun.

Expressing concern that being without ammunition left the Government open to attack, another correspondent said not to worry, that the Khmer Rouge was Cambodians too, shooting away with the rest of them, and they were out of ammunition too.

It's probably nonsense, but I've heard dumber things that turned out to be true.

BSBD,

Winsor

headoverheels

How was the eclipse Ron? Did you have clear weather? Any interesting reactions from animals (other than the human ones)?

It was an interesting once in a lifetime experience. Neighbors were over for a cookout. We offered a celebration of praise and supplication to Jesus Christ. No reaction from the animals, a dog and a cat. It did not get as dark as we expected. My neighbor and I simultaneously proclaimed it was creepy. We could see Venus and his oldest son said he could see Mars.

Traffic jams were reported after the event as folks were heading south. Prior to the eclipse some acquaintances were forced off a one lane mountain road. Tourists in an insane rush to find to perfect spot on the mountain. The tourists were ascending. The other folks slid down an embankment into the trees. One passenger may have a concussion. The car has minor damage and all of the air bags deployed.

There were demonstrations opposing three of GA's Confederate history sites.

The next new moon, 20 Sep, marks the beginning of Rosh Hashanah. Many folks are looking for some significant event(s) on 23 Sep in Israel and maybe the U.S.

IMO, an event may cataclysmic or merely the start of something with future ramifications.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

***How was the eclipse Ron? Did you have clear weather? Any interesting reactions from animals (other than the human ones)?

It was an interesting once in a lifetime experience. Neighbors were over for a cookout. We offered a celebration of praise and supplication to Jesus Christ.

The people deserving of praise were the scientists, dating back to Newton's time, who enabled you to know when to look for the eclipse. No religious leader played a part in that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******How was the eclipse Ron? Did you have clear weather? Any interesting reactions from animals (other than the human ones)?

It was an interesting once in a lifetime experience. Neighbors were over for a cookout. We offered a celebration of praise and supplication to Jesus Christ.

The people deserving of praise were the scientists, dating back to Newton's time, who enabled you to know when to look for the eclipse. No religious leader played a part in that.

John, while Newton worked out the math of orbits, virtually every civilization around the world has worked out eclipses far in advance of Newton being conceived. ;)

Noticing the nodes and working out the cycles was relatively easy since again, virtually every civilization eventually develops astronomical calendars for agricultural purposes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

John, while Newton worked out the math of orbits, virtually every civilization around the world has worked out eclipses far in advance of Newton being conceived. ;)

Noticing the nodes and working out the cycles was relatively easy since again, virtually every civilization eventually develops astronomical calendars for agricultural purposes.

Interestingly, PBS had a Nova on the eclipse. I saw it last night.

Only a few civilizations worked out the entire lunar cycle. The Babylonians were the first to write it down.
And while they accurately predicted the timing of eclipses, it wasn't until Halley figured it out that the location was in any way predictable.

That didn't happen until 1715.

PBS rocks.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

kallend

******How was the eclipse Ron? Did you have clear weather? Any interesting reactions from animals (other than the human ones)?

We were offering praise to Jesus Christ because we were together in fellowship in the Holy Spirit for this unique event. It is just something we do when we are having a good time.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

>The people deserving of praise were the scientists, dating back to Newton's time,
>who enabled you to know when to look for the eclipse. No religious leader played a
>part in that.

Barbarian that I am, I also praised the weather (clear once we got a few miles from the coast) and the McMenamin brothers, crafters of fine beer. I don't think either one is a religious leader, although they come close to some people in Portland.

quade

*********How was the eclipse Ron? Did you have clear weather? Any interesting reactions from animals (other than the human ones)?

Disagree.

Only since celestial mechanics was created have we known to the second (or even the hour) where totality would occur at any specified lat/lon, decades in advance.

kallend

************How was the eclipse Ron? Did you have clear weather? Any interesting reactions from animals (other than the human ones)?

Disagree.

Only since celestial mechanics was created have we known to the second (or even the hour) where totality would occur at any specified lat/lon, decades in advance.

I guess it all depends on how thinly one wishes to slice that hair.

I mean, you could just as easily say it was really due to John Harrison's work, because what good is knowing the theoretical Lat/Long until you actually have the ability to navigate to it and prove it? Newton himself thought the longitude problem was unsolvable.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***************How was the eclipse Ron? Did you have clear weather? Any interesting reactions from animals (other than the human ones)?

Disagree.

I guess it all depends on how thinly one wishes to slice that hair.

I mean, you could just as easily say it was really due to John Harrison's work, because what good is knowing the theoretical Lat/Long until you actually have the ability to navigate to it and prove it? Newton himself thought the longitude problem was unsolvable.

While lunar eclipses follow a pretty regular cycle that can be figured out empirically regardless of where you are, the same is not true of solar eclipses. There is no easily determined empirical cycle to predict when a total solar eclipse will occur at, say, Anaheim CA, decades in advance.

And if you want to put Harrison into the set of luminaries who made prediction possible, fine by me. But Jesus didn't contribute.