gowlerk

Best POTUS ever

Rosalynn and Jimmy Carter are in my city today. He's here swinging a hammer at a Habitat for Humanity building site. He had to be taken to the hospital here suffering"dehydration". Let's all hope he's alright!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-habitat-humanity-jimmy-carter-1.4202220
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Rosalynn and Jimmy Carter are in my city today. He's here swinging a hammer at a Habitat for Humanity building site. He had to be taken to the hospital here suffering"dehydration". Let's all hope he's alright!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-habitat-humanity-jimmy-carter-1.4202220

I'd agree that he's the best ex-POTUS.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Rosalynn and Jimmy Carter are in my city today. He's here swinging a hammer at a Habitat for Humanity building site. He had to be taken to the hospital here suffering"dehydration". Let's all hope he's alright!

...just trying to get the daily quota for clickbait titles in SC, I guess.

JerryBaumchen

Hi John,

I'd agree with you.

As for his time in office, well . . . . . .

Jerry Baumchen

He was horribly ineffective in office, but has since turned into one heck of a decent human being. Even better than Richard Nixon turned out to be, which was pretty good too.

nolhtairt

***Hi John,

I'd agree with you.

Jerry Baumchen

He was horribly ineffective in office, but has since turned into one heck of a decent human being. Even better than Richard Nixon turned out to be, which was pretty good too.

He was always a "heck of a decent human being." Always.

It actually turned out to be his biggest weakness as President. Not his own decency, but his tendency to assume that other people were also decent.

He seemed unable to understand the concept that some people are "not nice". It allowed foreign leaders to take advantage of his decency and use it against him.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

gowlerk

I had the opportunity to meet him in person back in the 70's while working as a press runner for a Demarcated Congressman[:/]. Traveled to multiple locations for campaign events and then off to Washington he returned. Damn thing is on the way home I had to spend nearly an hour in a gas line to put a few gallons in the car to get home. Was a great year and learned a lot.

wolfriverjoe

******Hi John,

I'd agree with you.

Jerry Baumchen

He was always a "heck of a decent human being." Always.

It actually turned out to be his biggest weakness as President. Not his own decency, but his tendency to assume that other people were also decent.

He seemed unable to understand the concept that some people are "not nice". It allowed foreign leaders to take advantage of his decency and use it against him.

The economy wasn't really his fault. He ordered the special forces attack what went wrong in the Iranian desert. Then took the blame that came with that failed mission. Even though the mission was far too complex and a failure that he could have blamed on the military. He stood up like a man.

Unlike someone who occupies the WH now.

Phil1111

The economy wasn't really his fault. He ordered the special forces attack what went wrong in the Iranian desert. Then took the blame that came with that failed mission. Even though the mission was far too complex and a failure that he could have blamed on the military. He stood up like a man.

Unlike someone who occupies the WH now.

Agreed on all points.

One other thing that isn't always remembered is that he actually went to the Three Mile Island plant during the emergency. He was a 'nuc' in the Navy and really understood nuclear power and how reactors worked.

He understood leadership and responsibility too (unlike the current occupant of the office).

But (again) he didn't understand deception and lying and taking advantage of an opponents weak points. So he was vulnerable to it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

From what I've read of Carter, his problems came from:

1. Being a Washington outsider who had never served there. This was compounded by appointing people he knew well, to top positions. Now since the only people he knew were officials from Georgia, this had the adverse effect of filling his administration with even more people who did not know how Washington worked.

2. Being a micromanager who got too caught up in details when he should have just delegated.

That said, he would be at the top of my list to have as a next door neighbor.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

He didn't like the kind of wheeling and dealing that LBJ, for instance, excelled at. He kind of figured that if he thought something was a good idea, it was probably a good idea...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

nolhtairt

***Hi John,

I'd agree with you.

Jerry Baumchen

I think he was always a good person. Maybe that's what made him so ineffective in office.
Nixon? Really? If not for W and Trump he would still be at the top of my bad POTUS list.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Niki1

******Hi John,

I'd agree with you.

Jerry Baumchen

I think he was always a good person. Maybe that's what made him so ineffective in office.
Nixon? Really? If not for W and Trump he would still be at the top of my bad POTUS list.

Obama is the worst we have ever seen.......
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Niki1

******Hi John,

I'd agree with you.

Jerry Baumchen

I didn't say Nixon was a good POTUS. I meant that he turned out to be a pretty good statesman through the 80's.

But as for Carter, yes he's a down to earth nice guy. Not the best POTUS material though.

nolhtairt

I didn't say Nixon was a good POTUS. I meant that he turned out to be a pretty good statesman through the 80's.

I think pretty much everyone acknowledges that Nixon was a good, intelligent, knowledgable politician... not sure where that translates into turning out to be a decent human being though!

Surely it was his failings as a human being that stopped from being so effective at government;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?