brenthutch

Did NPR kill Air America?

After this distortion from that guy:
"So you agree with the notion "the notion of a successful private enterprise is such an anathema to the left that they never stood a chance."

According to you, left wing radio is beset by executive malfeasance while right wing radio is the paragon of morality? "

Done.

Iago

*** I listen to NPR, I like NPR. I am not bitching about anything. I am wondering if NPR crowds out for profit left wing radio, or if the notion of a successful private enterprise is such an anathema to the left that they never stood a chance.

Not really. Left wing radio just generally sucks. Nobody wants to tune in and listen to a bunch of people whine about (and I kid you not) the racial parallels of Star Wars.

I guess it is more entertaining to listening to stories of pedophile rings in pizza restaurant basements. To some anyways.

Iago

********* I listen to NPR, I like NPR. I am not bitching about anything. I am wondering if NPR crowds out for profit left wing radio, or if the notion of a successful private enterprise is such an anathema to the left that they never stood a chance.

Not really. Left wing radio just generally sucks. Nobody wants to tune in and listen to a bunch of people whine about (and I kid you not) the racial parallels of Star Wars.

I guess it is more entertaining to listening to stories of pedophile rings in pizza restaurant basements. To some anyways.

If a radio program is not formatted in an interesting and entertaining manner people will not listen. Therefore there will be no ad revenue. Therefore there will be no money to pay for airtime and expenses.

Left wing hosts, for the most part, are unable to accomplish this. That is why Air America died. It was boring. The hosts came across as a bunch of gossipy whiny old women which is why it failed. I thought the broadcast sign of WWAA was pretty accurate. 'You're listening to Air America on WWAAAAAAAAA.'

News is generally boring, which why you have seen this march towards the current entertainment based model.

gowlerk

***NPR calls itself left wing.

Nu-ugh it don't. I listen to NPR every day. I will agree that trained journalists everywhere, including NPR, are likely to be more progressive than society in general. But NPR makes an effort to present different viewpoints on issues. And it certainly does not call itself left wing. They take pledges from anyone! You have a tote bag from your local station don't you?

I listen to NPR on the drive to work and Conservative Radio on the way home. I'm what people would call a fairly Liberal minded individual. NPR's target audience is wealthy Liberals. For example: http://www.npr.org/2016/12/25/506927801/global-warming-is-reshaping-the-wine-making-world
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'll bet you think Mike Savage (of Savage Nation) is just a plain-talking dude, right?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

To answer your question, Air America died because nobody listens to talk radio anymore except for old people. IHeartCommunications is at risk of folding because its base of old conservatives are literally dying off.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

wmw999

I'll bet you think Mike Savage (of Savage Nation) is just a plain-talking dude, right?

I thought he and Al Franken had similar styles on the radio. I couldn't listen to either of them as the vitriol and unreasonableness was so vile.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Pretty much. Rachel Maddow is smart as hell, but she looks at one side of every issue. Kind of like some folks on the right.

But then I'm not real impressed with anyone for whom sarcasm is a major tool in trying to make a point. Humor, yeah, but not discourse.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Pretty much. Rachel Maddow is smart as hell, but she looks at one side of every issue. Kind of like some folks on the right.

But then I'm not real impressed with anyone for whom sarcasm is a major tool in trying to make a point. Humor, yeah, but not discourse.

But this is political discourse today. We don't acknowledge the point of the 'other' team (which already is imprecise because there is a continuum of views and a lot of overlapping), we don't acknowledge the intentions of the 'other' team. Being capable of intelligently and sincerely arguing the positions of the other side is considered a betrayal and weakness. (BTW - this paragraph defines for me what a respectable and thinking person should reach for when attempting to discuss important issues. My natural cynicism alone disqualifies me often.)

A typical political discussion is belittling and dehumanizing anyone with a slightly different viewpoint, and then attempts to be clever by rationalizing every single viewpoint to discredit the other side. Sometimes the logical gymnastics are mind boggling - and people think that the most stubborn and twisted argument is a win rather than just finding a common truth where ever it ends up.

Common understanding is considered weakness, rather 'win' at any cost is heralded. When the best "zinger" is what's applauded rather then the best balanced positions......

Or maybe I just spend too much time on social media...... ; )

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Never have listened to his program. Maddow has a talking style that to me sounds like finger nails on a chalk board.

But again, you caught me going low...WITCH was not necessary to make a point. As I'm approaching my self imposed maximum number of times I can post on this blog I will be ending any future Channman comments on this site. Just a little more than 2 dozen more to go.

You are always welcome to bring me down to Earth as required. Cheers