quade

AP Exclusive: DHS weighed Nat Guard for immigration roundups

AP Exclusive: DHS weighed Nat Guard for immigration roundups

The Trump administration considered a proposal to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border, according to a draft memo obtained by The Associated Press.

Staffers in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said they had been told by colleagues in two DHS departments that the proposal was still being considered as recently as Feb. 10. A DHS official described the document as a very early draft that was not seriously considered and never brought to Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly for approval.

The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana. The document can be accessed at http://apne.ws/2l1Dj0k

Source and more:
https://apnews.com/5508111d59554a33be8001bdac4ef830?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Memo in question:
http://apne.ws/2l1Dj0k

Relevant part of memo starts at Section D on page 3.

Spicer IMMEDIATELY denied the validity of the AP article.
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/832616382667726851

Some are speculating there were various copies of the memo circulating in order to smoke out leakers. That of course makes no sense whatsoever since Spicer denied its existence to begin with as opposed to simply saying that.

According to the current article linked;

The AP had sought comment from the White House beginning Thursday and DHS earlier Friday and had not received a response from either.

So it should have been no surprise to the WH Director of Communications.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Is your point that we considered National Guard?

And, I'm good with that.
Wonder why we don't deploy them to the border now?
As Commander-in-Chief; He can have the Department of Defense defend the borders.

I'd suggest we issue them shotguns, so they can shoot the catapulted dope like skeet.
Excellent training in case of war too.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

quade

***I'm confused.

I'm sure you are.

"We"?

OK..I get it. You're no longer a citizen and trump is not your President. Good to know where you're coming from. Don't beat me up, OK?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Ok...who is the "we" you have a problem with?

I certainly had nothing whatsoever to do with the writing of that memo.

I also doubt you did.

"We" had nothing whatsoever to do with it.
quade -

Ok...you could have done without the snarky "I'm confused" response.

SO...again with the question. Are you concerned that the US considered using the Guard to arrest illegals?

ETA - did you take a course in college...perhaps something to the effect of "How Not to Answer a Question"? It was a simple question. You understood my intent when I referred to 'we' as the United States. Why drag out 4 posts to answer a simple question?

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Ok...you could have done without the snarky "I'm confused" response.

I could have . . . but . . .

SO...again with the question. Are you concerned that the US considered using the Guard to arrest illegals?

Did you take a class in asking idiotic questions?

Why the F do you think I posted?

Yes. There is something specifically wrong with the Federal government using the National Guard this way. If history has taught us anything, it's that calling the National Guard to enforce policy against the population leads to pretty horrible things happening.
quade -

quade

***Ok...you could have done without the snarky "I'm confused" response.

I could have . . . but . . .

Did you take a class in asking idiotic questions?

Why the F do you think I posted?

We could have has that response 6 posts ago. I thought you were more upset with Spicer's response. So you're good with not enforcing the laws of the US...got it.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

got it.

I doubt you do.

There is something specifically wrong with the Federal government using the National Guard this way. If history has taught us anything, it's that calling the National Guard to enforce policy against the population leads to pretty horrible things happening.
quade -

BIGUN

And, I'm good with that.
As Commander-in-Chief; He can have the Department of Defense defend the borders.

I'd suggest we issue them shotguns, so they can shoot the catapulted dope like skeet.

The Trump administration considered a proposal to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border

That doesn't sound much like defending the border, it sounds like using the military to perform domestic policing duties.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

And, I'm good with that.

The Trump administration considered a proposal to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border

That doesn't sound much like defending the border, it sounds like using the military to perform domestic policing duties.

Isn't the National Guard under the command of the governor of the state? Doesn't the county sheriff have the final authority for his county?

I was certainly taught that was the case.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

So you're good with not enforcing the laws of the US...got it.

Speaking of laws of the US, apparently neither you nor Ron are familiar with the Posse Comitatus Act.

Don

Nothing less than bannon pandering to the base. Institute the order, have ICE hand over a couple "examples" for deportation. Then shut it down.

All plays good to the trump base. Then cooler heads thought it might be a bad idea and was abandoned.

The cooler head remains unidentified. Perhaps the "leaker".

quade

***:DIt is fun watching you get snagged over and over again:D

It's sad watching you not understand a damn thing about the world.

Another zinger:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rifleman

Trump seems to be determined to re-enact one of America's more shameful historical acts - EO9066

http://www.sfgate.com/national/article/Executive-Order-9066-which-sent-my-family-to-a-10932741.php

Absolutely, comparing the roundup and deportation of illegals is comparable to the roundup and interment of US Citizens. :S

Destinations by Roxanne

quade

***got it.

I doubt you do.

There is something specifically wrong with the Federal government using the National Guard this way. If history has taught us anything, it's that calling the National Guard to enforce policy against the population leads to pretty horrible things happening.

Once again your liberal thinking is clouding your judgement. I would consider the population as citizens of this country. That's not what we're talking about here. BTW...I live 30 minutes from Kent State University and have since 1964. I understand the perils of having the national guard doing police work.

Destinations by Roxanne

> I would consider the population as citizens of this country.

You can do that if you like. The US Constitution makes a distinction between "people" (who fall under its protection) and "citizens" (who have specific rights.) In issues regarding the use of military power, we should go with the Constitution's definition.