ryoder

CIA freezes out top Flynn aide

Rumors are that Robert Harward has been offered the slot to replace Flynn:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/robert-harward-national-security-adviser/story?id=45482023

He seems qualified. Drumpf must have overlooked that fact.:|

This part of his bio is interesting:

Harward was born into a Navy family in Newport, Rhode Island. During his teenaged years, Harward's father was advising the pre-revolutionary Iranian military and the family lived in a Tehran neighborhood. Harward played sports against Iranian basketball and football teams, was popular with his classmates and became familiar with the people and culture of Iran. Harward graduated from Tehran American School in 1974. He speaks Persian.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Harward

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Rumors are that Robert Harward has been offered the slot to replace Flynn:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/robert-harward-national-security-adviser/story?id=45482023

He seems qualified. Drumpf must have overlooked that fact.:|

This part of his bio is interesting:

Harward was born into a Navy family in Newport, Rhode Island. During his teenaged years, Harward's father was advising the pre-revolutionary Iranian military and the family lived in a Tehran neighborhood. Harward played sports against Iranian basketball and football teams, was popular with his classmates and became familiar with the people and culture of Iran. Harward graduated from Tehran American School in 1974. He speaks Persian.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Harward

He currently has a very successful career and I'm sure he's concerned about getting wrapped up in Trump's ethical compromises. Anyone taking this role will be in a position from day one of defending Trump from all sorts of allegations and knows Trump wants someone to be his mouthpiece not to actually pursue information.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Holy crap! A military brat that went to an American school while stationed abroad???
Does my 4 years in German American schools in West Germany make me a Nazi too?

As much as I struggle to defend anything the new POTUS is doing, this guy looks very legit. He doesn't deserve to be attacked because his father was stationed in Iran when we were friendlies.
I was impressed he didn't accept at first and insisted on thinking about it for a day.

So far, I say this is the single good thing from the new admin so far.

I can't imagine attacking him over living in Iran. (But then I don't get my news from Breibart.) I think it would be excellent having someone in the NSC who had such in-depth experience with Iranian culture and even speaks the language.

But I don't blame him for needing time to think about entering the swamp.:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

normiss

Holy crap! A military brat that went to an American school while stationed abroad???
Does my 4 years in German American schools in West Germany make me a Nazi too?

As much as I struggle to defend anything the new POTUS is doing, this guy looks very legit. He doesn't deserve to be attacked because his father was stationed in Iran when we were friendlies.
I was impressed he didn't accept at first and insisted on thinking about it for a day.

So far, I say this is the single good thing from the new admin so far.

I don't think he meant that excerpt as a bad thing.

normiss

I know ryoder doesn't, but much of the complaints over the nomination are exactly that attack.

Oh good God, yeah, I give up. This guy really does seem to be a great choice which is why I'm worried he won't want to take it.

kallend

The other option, or potentially a combination of the two, is that Flynn and the team knew it was illegal, knew the call would be recorded, but we're arrogant enough to think they had enough control to stop the contents of the call from ever being reported.

The third (and I think the most likely) option was that this was simply a loyalty test by Trump; he has used them before. Flynn knew it was illegal, knew he _might_ get caught - but also knew that he had to pass the test or be fired immediately. So he took a calculated risk.

Or it was the other way around -- after being dismissed from DIA, he wanted to show he was still a player. Demonstrating his personal relationship with the Russian Ambassador may have seemed like a good way to show his value to a new administration (especially one so opposed by the previous administration).

And sometimes an asshole is just an asshole.
Agreed. IMHO, he was just using his assholedness (or as one of my podcasts would call it, "cuntery") to advance his own position in the government.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

DJL

***I know ryoder doesn't, but much of the complaints over the nomination are exactly that attack.

Oh good God, yeah, I give up. This guy really does seem to be a great choice which is why I'm worried he won't want to take it.

He turned it down. Can't blame him, who would want to a part of this clusterfuck
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/02/16/trumps-pick-to-replace-michael-flynn-as-national-security-adviser-turns-down-offer-people-familiar-with-decision-say/?hpid=hp_no-name_no-name%3Apage%2Fbreaking-news-bar&tid=a_breakingnews&utm_term=.9178feff682f#comments
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

lummy

******I know ryoder doesn't, but much of the complaints over the nomination are exactly that attack.

He turned it down. Can't blame him, who would want to a part of this clusterfuck
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/02/16/trumps-pick-to-replace-michael-flynn-as-national-security-adviser-turns-down-offer-people-familiar-with-decision-say/?hpid=hp_no-name_no-name%3Apage%2Fbreaking-news-bar&tid=a_breakingnews&utm_term=.9178feff682f#comments

Indeed, anyone associated with this administration can kiss any decent post-government career goodbye. They will forever be branded as assholes.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

*********I know ryoder doesn't, but much of the complaints over the nomination are exactly that attack.

Indeed, anyone associated with this administration can kiss any decent post-government career goodbye. They will forever be branded as assholes.

Too bad;
The WH is desperately in need of adult supervision.
Plus, I was thinking an ex-SEAL wouldn't take any crap from that Stephen (wanna-be Goebbels) Miller.

ryoder

Too bad;
The WH is desperately in need of adult supervision.
Plus, I was thinking an ex-SEAL wouldn't take any crap from that Stephen (wanna-be Goebbels) Miller.

It appears as if there was a discussion about how much crap he was going to have to take and existing staff was the issue.

Honorable.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

normiss

Some reporters on Twitter are saying he said it was a shit sandwich and wanted nothing to do with it.

IMO this reflects poorly on the whole SEAL community. Now, now there are those that will argue he has superb insight. Likely does. That he showed wisdom and judgement. Perhaps.

But what about the whole SEAL toughness? Eating Sh*t sandwiches and soldiering on? Getting live grenades and then getting hung out to dry when the grenade goes off. While smiling all the time to the "Commander in Chief".

Bad precedent for run of the mill patsies like Pence and Priebus. Who for now try to keep a straight face while facing lies and chaos. Dread putting their ties on every day and having to go to work. Dreading message after message about the new talking points from bannon and miller. Wondering how much longer they should go on before they can claim a family emergency and resign.

"Is Donald Trump’s Inner Circle Already Collapsing?
The knives are out for Mike Flynn and Reince Priebus."
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02/is-donald-trumps-inner-circle-already-collapsing

Apparently Harward didn't take the job because he wanted Steve Bannon (a political advisor with questionable security clearance credentials) removed from the National Security Council.

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/exclusive-trump-presser-convinced-nsc-candidate-harward-to-decline-879994947802

Flynn clearly should not have been there either. Flynn might have been removed for political reasons, but had in the past been investigated for leaking confidential information by none other that General Mattis. His consulting firm with Russia and Turkey raised further concerns.

Allowing Steve Bannon on the NSC is the most disconcerting thing Trump has done, IMHO.

A brief history of leaks:

Historic leaks: When the government said no, but Americans had a right to know

Vietnam 1971

Official line: Four administrations, from Harry Truman to Lyndon Johnson, had seriously concealed and misrepresented the scale and the efficacy of U.S. military intervention.

Leaks revealed: A classified study of U.S. efforts in Vietnam, which became known as the “Pentagon Papers,” exposed a long history of secret bombings, military invasions and deliberate lies from government officials. The reports were leaked to the New York Times by Daniel Ellsberg, a military analyst who had become disenchanted with the war and the fabrications about it.

Postscript: Ellsberg was convicted of theft and conspiracy under the Espionage Act, but the case was later dismissed because of government misconduct. The revelations had a profound effect on public opinion, and led to a landmark decision by the U.S. Supreme Court which said there could be no “prior restraint” in conflicts between journalists and government.

Watergate 1972

Official line: The Nixon White House dismissed the June 1972 break-in and attempt to bug the Democratic National Committee as a “third-rate burglary.” Nixon emphatically denied any knowledge of the crime or cover-up.

Leaks revealed: Deputy FBI Director Mark Felt acknowledged in 2005, shortly before his death, that he was the “Deep Throat” insider source who helped guide Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein as they pursued the scandal that ultimately led to the president.

Postscript: President Richard Nixon resigned on Aug. 9, 1974, after the Supreme Court ordered release of tapes that showed his role in the attempt to quash the investigation.

Iran-Contra 1986

Official line: The Reagan administration denied any association with the use of proceeds from the sale of weapons to the Iranian government (despite an arms embargo) to help fund the anti-communist Contra rebels in Nicaragua (also violating U.S. law).

Leaks revealed: A Lebanese magazine broke the story that the U.S. government had engaged in an arms-for-hostages exchange.

Postscript: President Ronald Reagan ultimately acknowledged the sale in a nationally televised address.

Warrantless wiretaps 2005

Official line: Americans never were alerted that the government was monitoring international phone messages and phone calls of U.S. citizens without obtaining a court warrant.

Leaks revealed: The classified National Security Administration warrantless wiretaps, secretly approved by President George W. Bush shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, were disclosed by the New York Times.

Postscript: In 2010, a federal court found the program to be illegal.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

AlanS

Apparently Harward didn't take the job because he wanted Steve Bannon (a political advisor with questionable security clearance credentials) removed from the National Security Council.

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/exclusive-trump-presser-convinced-nsc-candidate-harward-to-decline-879994947802

Flynn clearly should not have been there either. Flynn might have been removed for political reasons, but had in the past been investigated for leaking confidential information by none other that General Mattis. His consulting firm with Russia and Turkey raised further concerns.

Allowing Steve Bannon on the NSC is the most disconcerting thing Trump has done, IMHO.

Yes, yes, and yes. If true Harward has more brains that the rest of the trump sec. council put together.

When you take these considerations into account. It makes you question the intelligence of Pense and Priebus. How many times will they be hung out to dry. Made fools of. Before "pressing family matters" cause them to give up the madhouse..er..WH.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/flynn-attended-intel-briefings-while-taking-money-lobby-turkey-n732041

Just had to put this story here to keep this thread up to date.

Flynn was paid $500,000 by and acting as a foreign agent for Turkey while at the same time getting top secret classified briefings as part of the Trump campaign.

Flynn never should have been on the NSC. And in time I think we will learn the Steve Bannon shouldn't be on the National Security Council either.

AlanS

Flynn never should have been on the NSC. And in time I think we will learn the Steve Bannon shouldn't be on the National Security Council either.

Emphasis mine.

That ship sailed one nano second after it was announced.

The only person who appears to have NOT known was the man who signed the paper putting him there, Trump. And I don't mean because Trump put faith in Bannon, but because Trump didn't actually understand what he was signing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver