gowlerk

Is Trump a first for America?

In our world, some people are assholes. Some people even brag about being an asshole. Some people, like Trump are what I call capitol A Assholes.

It is my belief that assholes everywhere should be celebrating the fact that one of their group is now POTUS. Except that most of them are unlikely to take joy in the sucess of someone else.

Trump loves recognition. I believe he should be given his due and lifted to the status of the highest achieving Asshole ever. Many people in high places are assholes. Steve Jobs was nearly complete Asshole by all accounts.

I don't know my Presidential history that well. There may have been others who were assholes. But DJT is the first capitol A to make the rank as far as I know.

Have there been another one or two of them?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

There have been other controversial Presidents. None has had such blatant disregard for the Constitution he was sworn to defend or principles behind it. None, to my knowledge, has taken office then instantly went looking for war. Not even the Bush 43 Administration did that and it had members who had been pushing for war during the previous Administration.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

There have been other controversial Presidents. None has had such blatant disregard for the Constitution he was sworn to defend or principles behind it. None, to my knowledge, has taken office then instantly went looking for war. Not even the Bush 43 Administration did that and it had members who had been pushing for war during the previous Administration.

But I'm not really talking about politics or even policy or tactics. I'm talking about the man's basic way of dealing with other people. I'm talking about the Denis Leary song A-SS-HO-LE, I'm an Asshole! Capital A, eh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

Just watch it. It is basically the Trump theme song.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Well, I think a case could be made for Andrew Jackson, but even he wasn't as much as and even then he frickin' earned it. He was an actual tough bastard as opposed to simply a rich one.

Nixon was an asshole, but not the kind Trump is. At least Nixon wasn't a public asshole. He knew enough to generally put on polite face in public.
quade -

A more poignant question could be what is it about him that we like. Why does it supersede his asshole behavior. Why for his base of support, does any mistakes get overlooked.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02/why-russia-loves-donald-trump

The above is a good sort of preamble. trump has admitted to several biographers and the media in interviews, that he has no real friends. He is 6'2" high although he tells everyone he is an inch taller. He is worth between $3-4 billion, although he says he's worth three times that. He gives away free golf memberships to billionaire acquaintances and sports stars. He sends his jet to pick them up to golf with him.

But in the end this is the reaction he gets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xqcyPrRyg

He talks about his social circles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMLVVCIsWtA

But for his wife who, it appears won't move into the White House with trump. This is her attitude to the whole situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxsNexkTfU

"Well before he began his bid to become the Republican presidential nominee, Mr. Trump branded himself as the glad-handing billionaire in demand at beauty pageants and professional wrestling matches, a relentlessly available celebrity who would be more than pleased to talk about his sex life on the radio or reveal himself on his reality TV show, “The Apprentice.” But while he may be adept at projecting intimacy over distance, those who know him best contend that his talent for emoting to an audience does not always translate to his personal relationships. “He doesn’t really have a lot of friends,” said Billy Procida, a financier from New Jersey who served for years as one of Mr. Trump’s top lieutenants...

Abe Wallach, who once served as head of acquisitions for the Trump Organization, said he was always surprised when Mr. Trump would ask him and his husband to join him for the weekend with Marla Maples, his wife at the time. “Donald would call and say, ‘Abe, what are you doing? Marla and I are flying down to Atlantic City. You and David want to come?’ I always thought: ‘Why me? I work with him all week. Isn’t there someone else?’”...

“But that’s what Trump does,” Mr. Scarborough added. “It’s always at an event or at a function. He’s shaking hands, slapping backs — it’s very on the surface. That’s just who he is.”...

Attempts were made to contact a dozen more New Yorkers who have been linked to Mr. Trump, among them TV personalities like Barbara Walters and Joy Behar; media stars like the radio personality Howard Stern and the talk-show host Maury Povich; and sports figures like Derek Jeter, a former New York Yankee, and Fred and Jeff Wilpon, owners of the New York Mets. But none of them would talk about him: Some said they were busy; some said they were traveling; others said they simply weren’t interested in discussing Mr. Trump."
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/nyregion/for-donald-trump-friends-in-few-places.html

trump supports are like trump. They hope that the transactional aspects of him will bring a benefit to them. Like buying a NY condo, they pay money and get a good view. Even though the realtor for the building is a slimy, crooked, asshole. That he will have the answers for urban and rural decay in middle America. The answers for those who work for 20-30% less than they did ten years ago.

After trump is gone. Hopefully there will be politicians to look at rural Kentucky and urban Ohio. Who say they are going to create development zones with tax advantages to create new jobs. To bring industry back where the doors were shuttered before. That for working Americans in the coal mining sectors where jobs have disappeared. There will be tax incentives but only for solar plants and windmill manufacturing.

That voters realize no government has easy answers to complex problems. That one bill passed by US congress is going to counter worldwide changes in industrial automation, trade or commerce.

A recent Newsweek article about his pointless lying: http://www.newsweek.com/trump-difference-truth-lies-552292

He told Deutsche Bank in loan applications in 2004 he was worth billions; the bank concluded that was a lie and set his net worth at $788 million.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

None has had such blatant disregard for the Constitution

Because executing Americans and or detaining them indefinitely without charge or trial is well within the constitution.

Old Barack 'bring the boys back, hope and change nobel peace boy' Obama trampled all over the constitution, was the first ever president to.be at war for his entire 2 term reign and bombed 7 countries, all Muslim... but he did it in style, with a smile and fist bumped the janitor, so he's cool.

FFS

Oh you said blatant. Gotcha ;)

Royreader8812

I don't know about asshole, but he's the first one that I know of who is a global laughing stock

Don't misunderestimate the idiosyncrasies of old GW.

What do you have against George Washington? ;)
quade -

Royreader8812

I don't know about asshole, but he's the first one that I know of who is a global laughing stock

Don't misunderestimate the idiosyncrasies of old GW.

Yeah - GW was kinda funny - but vice president trump takes it to a whole new level.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Royreader8812

Because executing Americans and or detaining them indefinitely without charge or trial is well within the constitution.

I'm aware Obama killed via drone strike a US citizen who joined Al-qaeda in Yemen where we have no extradition treaty.

Honestly, I don't give a fuck. Once a person actively joins a terrorist organization fuck 'em.

Who did Obama detain without trial? Or are you thinking of Bush 43?
quade -

Taylor, Grant, Eisenhower didn't hold any political positions before being elected. They were, however, very involved in the government since they were generals.

Taft and Hoover also were never elected before, but both were in government. Taft as Secretary of War under Teddy Roosevelt. Hoover as Secretary of Commerce.

Trump is unquestionably the least experienced President the US has ever had in terms of government service.
quade -

quade

Taylor, Grant, Eisenhower didn't hold any political positions before being elected. They were, however, very involved in the government since they were generals.

Taft and Hoover also were never elected officials before, but both were in government. Taft as Secretary of War under Teddy Roosevelt. Hoover as Secretary of Commerce.

Trump is unquestionably the least experienced President the US has ever had in terms of government service.

Thanks!

Hi Bob,

POTUS to have never held elected office

Just off the top, the first one who comes to mind is Eisenhower.

I was born in 1940 and have always considered LBJ to be the worst person who has been President during my lifetime. The Donald way exceeds LBJ in every category IMO.

LBJ signed some good legislation into law during his time in office, but he was a very flawed person.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Bob,

POTUS to have never held elected office

Just off the top, the first one who comes to mind is Eisenhower.

I was born in 1940 and have always considered LBJ to be the worst person who has been President during my lifetime. The Donald way exceeds LBJ in every category IMO.

LBJ signed some good legislation into law during his time in office, but he was a very flawed person.

Jerry Baumchen

I have very mixed emotions about LBJ. He did a lot of good things, but when he did make a mistake, oh boy.....
I admit that my opinion of him went down several points after reading Kittinger's account of meeting him. LBJ called a meeting of lots of different military people including Kittinger based on his years as a POW. After they spoke, LBJ not only had good reason to not amp things up in Vietnam but what I consider an honorable out by taking what they said seriously.
But as we all know, he didn't.

"LBJ signed some good legislation into law during his time in office, but he was a very flawed person."

I think he's the first person I ever heard referred to as "crazy as a shithouse rat."

I've often wondered what sort of President Nixon would have made. He made a lousy King.

Nah, Berlusconi was a global laughing stock first. The Italians are probably grateful we elected Trump and took away their "honor."

Neither of them is worst (there are a lot worse like Duterte), but for first-world industrialized nations, they show a lack of maturity that's pretty impressive.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Nah, Berlusconi was a global laughing stock first. The Italians are probably grateful we elected Trump and took away their "honor."

Neither of them is worst (there are a lot worse like Duterte), but for first-world industrialized nations, they show a lack of maturity that's pretty impressive.

Wendy P.

Oh yeah - sorry, I meant he's the first US president to be a global laughing stock.
Berlusconi was/is pretty funny.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

highly active political people are now complete and unapologetic assholes about how they approach their politics - open eyes - don't look far, don't just look at people you disagree with.

probably a big contribution is the anonymity of social media - and clearly we've also confused the concepts of 'strong, confident and independent - yet courteous' with 'mean and dismissive and rude'. Wanting to be strong and considerate has been replaced with weak, whiny and bullying

Being "honest" should mean direct and clear and respectful, but instead people can only seem to be in your face, rude and mean about it. It would be interesting to see what social pressures have evolved that reality. It's like honesty isn't the goal, it's just an excuse to be an asshole.

you don't have to pick one side of the aisle, and you can't claim it's just this election cycle

not sure why anyone is surprised that it's made it's way into high office

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

winsor

***A recent Newsweek article about his pointless lying: http://www.newsweek.com/trump-difference-truth-lies-552292

He told Deutsche Bank in loan applications in 2004 he was worth billions; the bank concluded that was a lie and set his net worth at $788 million.

He most certainly was worth billions of Lire at the time.

Speaking of the Deutsche .

"The magazine Der Spiegel has called for Germany to lead global resistance to President Trump and his administration in an editorial published over the weekend.

“Germany must stand up in opposition to the 45th president of the United States and his government,” executive editor Klaus Brinkbäumer wrote Sunday in an editorial."...

“That’s difficult enough already for two reasons: Because it is from the Americans that we obtained our liberal democracy in the first place; and because it is unclear how the brute and choleric man on the other side will react to diplomatic pressure,” he wrote. “The fact that opposition to the American government can only succeed when mounted together with Asian and African partners — and no doubt with our partners in Europe, with the [European Union] — doesn’t make the situation any easier.”

In one of the toughest sections of the editorial, Brinkbäumer described Trump as a "pathological liar" and racist.

“It is literally painful to write this sentence, but the president of the United States is pathological liar,” he wrote. "The president of the U.S. is a racist (it also hurts to write this)."
http://thehill.com/policy/international/europe/318123-german-magazine-germany-must-stand-up-to-trump

The whole story:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/a-1133177.html

"Der Spiegel (German pronunciation: [deːɐ ˈʃpiːɡəl], lit. "The Mirror") is a German weekly news magazine published in Hamburg. It is one of Europe's largest publications of its kind, with a weekly circulation of 840,000.[1][2][3]

It was founded in 1947[4] by John Seymour Chaloner (de), a British army officer, and Rudolf Augstein, a former Wehrmacht radio operator who was recognized in 2000 by the International Press Institute as one of the fifty World Press Freedom Heroes.[5] Spiegel Online, the online sibling of Der Spiegel, was launched in 1994 with an independent editorial staff. Typically, the magazine has a content to advertising ratio of 2:1.

Der Spiegel is known in German-speaking countries mostly for its investigative journalism. It has played a key role in uncovering many political scandals such as the Spiegel scandal in 1962 and the Flick affair in the 1980s. According to The Economist, Der Spiegel is one of continental Europe's most influential magazines.[6]