RonD1120

Conservative Opinion on Election from England

Not Ron. IMO Ron can and always has taken care of himself.

Indeed he can, Phil. But being attacked for posting something I wrote lays a certain responsibility on me and it would be cowardly not stand up for him.

You use "adolescent pettiness" to describe a response to a Christian based series of opinions and patterns.

I merely respond in kind. The attacks remind me of Student Union bull sessions where the loudest demonstrated their intolerance of other opinions.

Of logic, thinking and writing. Yet suggest equal insults to written opinions here to Allah when there is not a Muslim to be found.

The point I'm making is that the progressive mindset sees the US as uniquely wrong/bad/evil. Viz: it is not racism to propose that refugees from countries known for extremist views should be vetted. Overall, it's a mentality that prefers to hurl insults than address the issues calmly and logically. I remember it well from the antiwar movement in the early '70s. My brother, who was seriously wounded in Vietnam was regularly insulted and spat on by peace-symbol-wearing darlings saying he should have died. The stock phrases have changed little since those days.

But being attacked for posting something I wrote lays a certain responsibility on me and it would be cowardly not stand up for him....

I merely respond in kind.

What attacks? There was no animosity in this thread. No-one was getting worked up. Until you waded in like an angry bull in a china shop hurling intolerance and insults around at everyone else here the thread had devolved into a discussion of types of steel production, which only demonstrates how disinterested everyone was in your rants.

Overall, it's a mentality that prefers to hurl insults than address the issues calmly and logically.

So you must think it's a good mentality, then?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The point I'm making is that the progressive mindset sees the US as uniquely wrong/bad/evil.

This is one of the main sources of your sense of outrage. And it is so wrong. The posters here understand the world is full of worse places with worse policies than the west in general and the US in particular. They are talking about what is in their backyard. Because it is there they hope to have a direct impact.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

jakee

But being attacked for posting something I wrote lays a certain responsibility on me and it would be cowardly not stand up for him....

I merely respond in kind.

What attacks? There was no animosity in this thread.

Very observant. Perfect response.

***... like an angry bull in a china shop ...

Excellent. Mind if I add it to my compendium of original similes?

... a discussion of types of steel production ...

Hmmm, thanking Jerry B for correcting me constitutes a "discussion"? Maybe you have a dictionary of alternative definitions. You do have a dictionary, right? Of course you do, though probably not needed by someone with such an impressive vocabulary. You could always donate it to Oxfam or Greenpeace; I'm sure they'd be grateful. You might want to look up "simile" before getting rid of it.

I would have to agree with this, that the progressive mindset does not see the US as uniquely bad. I'm quite definitely progressive, as are the vast majority of my relatives. We all know how lucky we are to be able to live here. However, we don't think it's perfect. No one does: conservatives didn't like the direction of the last few years; that would imply they also don't think it's perfect.

However, progressives and liberals seem to think there are different things that need improvement.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"wmw999"]I would have to agree with this, that the progressive mindset does not see the US as uniquely bad. I'm quite definitely progressive, as are the vast majority of my relatives. We all know how lucky we are to be able to live here. However, we don't think it's perfect. No one does: conservatives didn't like the direction of the last few years; that would imply they also don't think it's perfect. However, progressives and liberals seem to think there are different things that need improvement.

Thank you Wendy, for a calm, honest and rational observation. It would be hard - nay,impossible - for me to criticize your contribution here. Kindest regards.

Wendy P.

Excellent. Mind if I add it to my compendium of original similes?

Many people would say that the object of writing in a conversation such as this is to write in the clearest, most easily understood fashion in order to accurately convey the intended message.

Apparently you feel it is more important to just use a lot of words, regardless of whether there is any meaning behind them at all.

You do have a dictionary, right?

You should use yours to look up the definition of the word 'until'. Your lack of understanding of the concepts of before and after is surprising in a writer of history.

Many people would say that the object of writing in a conversation such as this is to write in the clearest, most easily understood fashion in order to accurately convey the intended message. Apparently you feel it is more important to just use a lot of words, regardless of whether there is any meaning behind them at all.

Another blistering insight. Easy to see why you're so much more successful as an author than I am. Wow, I should have passed my manuscripts to you first rather than to a publisher; you could have taught me so much about style and composition. How do I go about ordering autographed copies of your books? Are they available on Amazon?

Hoop

Many people would say that the object of writing in a conversation such as this is to write in the clearest, most easily understood fashion in order to accurately convey the intended message. Apparently you feel it is more important to just use a lot of words, regardless of whether there is any meaning behind them at all.

Another blistering insight. Easy to see why you're so much more successful as an author than I am. Wow, I should have passed my manuscripts to you first rather than to a publisher; you could have taught me so much about style and composition. How do I go about ordering autographed copies of your books? Are they available on Amazon?

Well, it's pretty clear that you can write well.

However, when you chose to be as condescending as the above post, or use words like "libertard", you put yourself on the same level as Funjumper101, which is to say that you'd rather hurl insults than have an actual discussion.

Ron gets a lot of criticism on here. But much of it (and all of it from me) is not directed at his faith, but at his hypocrisy. He claims to be "saved" by Jesus, then posts behaviors, attitudes and opinions that are directly opposed to those teachings.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Are you always such a self-righteous jerk, or just on internet forums?
:S
My apologies for adding the emoji. It's like the kid in the neighborhood that cuts through your yard, but on the internet.
Get off my lawn!
Complaining about emojis on the internet would be akin to complaining about footnotes in books.

I've got 2 autographed copies of your 100 foot book.
Neither I nor my father in law, the Nam Marine, could read it.
He said his artillery reports from the field in Nam were better reads than your book, which speaks to style and composition.
He wrote it off to you being Army.
:D

I'm curious why some folks are so angry they cannot have a conversation without insulting everyone around them.
There were no attacks in this thread until you stumbled in.

Have a good new year.
B|

normiss

Are you always such a self-righteous jerk

Absolutely.

***I've got 2 autographed copies of your 100 foot book.
Neither I nor my father in law, the Nam Marine, could read it.
He said his artillery reports from the field in Nam were better reads than your book, which speaks to style and composition.

I'm shattered. Really.

Reckon we should discount the 30+ USMC Vietnam vets who wrote exactly the opposite? That would have to include the editor of Smithsonian Air & Space magazine, a Marine back-seater in I Corps. Can't be right all the time, I guess.

Hoop

Umm... you do realise that we're writing posts here and not books, right? They are two very different things, and that's kinda the whole point of what I just said.

Again, I'm surprised you find the concept so difficult to grasp!

Hoop

Easy to see why you're so much more successful as an author than I am. Wow, I should have passed my manuscripts to you first rather than to a publisher; you could have taught me so much about style and composition. How do I go about ordering autographed copies of your books? Are they available on Amazon?

It should be noted that being "successful as an author" (which apparently means being published and selling on Amazon), says nothing whatsoever to the quality of the writing.

Not saying yours is, but the fact remains, there is a lot of shit writing being peddled on Amazon by hack writers. ;)

No writer should ever think they're all that just because they're being sold in the same establishment as "Fifty Shades of Grey."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Umm... you do realise that we're writing posts here and not books, right? They are two very different things, and that's kinda the whole point of what I just said. Again, I'm surprised you find the concept so difficult to grasp!

Don't be surprised, Jakee, the answer is obvious: I'm just not as well educated or as good a writer as you are.

I won't discredit your work, but I am far from being the only one who has stated it's a difficult read, because it is.
Getting brother's in arms support isn't the same as a proper book review IMO.
“Does God Love Michael’s Two Daddies?” was a fairly successful book, yet it was total shite.

I'll trust my Nam Marine Officer father in law's experience in Nam over someone who insists on insulting others instead of having a conversation just the same thank you.
He's never had the militaristic condescension that some Vets seem to posses.
It's an attitude he and I both share. We proudly served, but it doesn't make us any better citizens than anyone else.

Which reminds me, time to pick up some beer, go set-up his new TV, and watch a game with him.
B|

Hoop

Don't be surprised, Jakee, the answer is obvious: I'm just not as well educated or as good a writer as you are.

No, that's not it. Honestly it seems like you're just so desperate for conflict that you're ignoring what has actually been said and substituting stuff you can argue with. And while the sight of you railing against imaginary opposition is quite amusing, it's not really achieving anything.

Also, you're supposedly a brand new contributor here but you already come across as having a major axe to grind with several other posters. Funny that....

quade

It should be noted that being "successful as an author" (which apparently means being published and selling on Amazon), says nothing whatsoever to the quality of the writing.
Not saying yours is, but the fact remains, there is a lot of shit writing being peddled on Amazon by hack writers. No writer should ever think they're all that just because they're being sold in the same establishment as "Fifty Shades of Grey."

Never was a truer word spoken; there is a lot of crap out there. Anyone can pay a vanity publisher to print and bind a book, which is delivered in boxes to the author who then has to do his/her own promotion, marketing; distribution/shipping and accounting. For as little as $500 anyone can convert a manuscript into a Kindle format. Amazon, which takes 66% of the selling price, takes no risk. But trying to get a bookstore chain to stock it is another matter, even with the standard sale or return agreement.

Koevoet, my first book has not gone out of print since coming off the presses in 1988. It went into its third distinct edition three years ago and is keeping Helion & Co very happy indeed, in both softback and Kindle formats. (As an aside, publishers really like digital sales; no investment in additional print runs; no space taken up in the warehouse; no lunching or paying distributors; no shipping costs.

An even better seller is A Hundred Feet Over Hell, first published in 2009 and now in its eighth print run, and that doesn't include Kindle sales.

So yeah, Quade, what you say is absolutely correct.

jakee

***Don't be surprised, Jakee, the answer is obvious: I'm just not as well educated or as good a writer as you are.

No, that's not it. Honestly it seems like you're just so desperate for conflict that you're ignoring what has actually been said and substituting stuff you can argue with. And while the sight of you railing against imaginary opposition is quite amusing, it's not really achieving anything.

Also, you're supposedly a brand new contributor here but you already come across as having a major axe to grind with several other posters. Funny that....

He's not exactly new.

In addition to being a well recognized "old time" jumper, he has posted on here before.

I remember his "spittle laced diatribes" from the DB Cooper thread, when he campaigned for it to be shut down.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

He's not exactly new. In addition to being a well recognized "old time" jumper, he has posted on here before.

Let's be honest. "old time" might be construed as gross understatement. Late neolithic to late mesolithic.

D4019
SCR242 SCS90 NSCR26

Hoop

He's not exactly new. In addition to being a well recognized "old time" jumper, he has posted on here before.

Let's be honest. "old time" might be construed as gross understatement. Late neolithic to late mesolithic.

D4019
SCR242 SCS90 NSCR26

Not to mention W.C.Fields Cardinal.

Have you noticed that here in the progressive liberal world of the SC that when you defend yourself you automatically become the instigator of all the negativity. It is their pragmatic reality.

It is a new year with a new president. Much, hopefully, of BHO's misguided tyranny will be dispelled quickly with the incoming administration.

We learned today from our pastor that we were facing a potential legal retribution if we did not provide some form of transgender rest room facilities. It would have been a financial burden we would have had difficulty in meeting. We are a small rural mountain church. Thankfully, it is no longer a looming problem.

I am going to do my best to make this as peaceful a transition as I can within my environment, which includes the SC. We have to live with these folks. They lost and now we, I, have to help them adjust to the simple truths. For many years, for some their entire lives to date, they have been overwhelmed with intellectually contrived conundrums which obfuscate straightforward solutions.

I promise to do my duty to God and my country and remain trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. As best as my age and infirmities allow, I will keep myself physically fit, mentally awake and morally straight. And lastly, try to help someone every day.

A paraphrase from A Course In Miracles, It is impossible not to believe what you see and just as impossible to see what you do not believe.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

We learned today from our pastor that we were facing a potential legal retribution if we did not provide some form of transgender rest room facilities. It would have been a financial burden we would have had difficulty in meeting. We are a small rural mountain church. Thankfully, it is no longer a looming problem.

It was never a looming problem, because it's total bollocks.

I promise to do my duty to God and my country and remain trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

Remain friendly, courteous and cheerful? Does that really count as a promise when it comes with the caveat of 'only towards people I like'?

normiss

I won't discredit your work, but I am far from being the only one who has stated it's a difficult read, because it is. Getting brother's in arms support isn't the same as a proper book review IMO.

Here's an illuminating statistic for ya: first print runs for most new titles are 1,500, which is where the production cost per copy is reasonable and the publisher can break even with 1,000 copies sold. Only 3 -7% of new titles go into a second print run. (In aid of adding to your knowledge of the business, editions are not the same as print runs. An edition can have numerous print runs.) A Hundred Feet Over Hell has done seven print runs in hardback, one in softback and then Kindle. The publisher had hoped to offer only Kindle after the seventh print run, but the two bookshops at Oshkosh sold so many each year that Zenith did a special run in softback, which is cheaper to produce.

Inasmuch as it will this year hit a total sales figure of 50,000 in all formats I'm not dismayed that you and your father-in-law found it a difficult read. Everyone to his own. Reviews on Amazon US, Amazon UK, Amazon France and Amazon Germany, plus magazines, newspapers and websites are pushing 250, with more than 90% in the 4- and 5-star categories. But my publisher and I are waiting breathlessly for you to tell us none of them are "proper reviews". You have no idea how grateful we'll be.