RonD1120

Conservative Opinion on Election from England

mistercwood

Using statements from minuscule-size subsets to indict tens of millions of decent people, who are equally horrified by them, is an ideological rather than a logical conclusion. It smacks of Lenin's dictum that "Better 100 innocent die than one guilty escapes." But if you're convinced that's the truth, no amount of rational discussion will change your view.

For someone who makes a living from writing, I'd expect you to be better at reading. Maybe go back and look at addressing what Joe actually wrote.

I took two contiguous quotes that best synthesized Joe's ideological myopia. Countering the many group-think convictions would be a complete waste of time; like trying to wean an acolyte from the Catechism. Easier to let Joe and members of the progressive church believe what they want to believe. I suspect the fanatics are disappointed that heretics can no longer be sentenced to the auto de fé.

Using statements from minuscule-size subsets to indict tens of millions of decent people, who are equally horrified by them, is an ideological rather than a logical conclusion. It smacks of Lenin's dictum that "Better 100 innocent die than one guilty escapes."

Sounds like the current conservative (at least in the US) attitude towards Muslims.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I took two contiguous quotes that best synthesized Joe's ideological myopia.

No, cwood was right, you simply didn't properly read or understand what Joe said, therefore your entire response is a non-sequitur.

Congratulations on making it contain lots of words though - we're all very impressed:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wmw999

Using statements from minuscule-size subsets to indict tens of millions of decent people, who are equally horrified by them, is an ideological rather than a logical conclusion. It smacks of Lenin's dictum that "Better 100 innocent die than one guilty escapes."

Sounds like the current conservative (at least in the US) attitude towards Muslims.

Huh?
I'll take a wild guess that I've sat and sipped mint tea with more Muslims than have most people here have met. I'll also guess that I've seen Islam's treatment of women more closely than any here who haven't work in the Middle East. All of them voiced admiration for suhada. I’ll further assume no one here has ever found him/herself in the hands of jihadi. At least 1/3 of British Muslims believe that suicide bombings are justified. More than ½ want to see sharia law imposed. These figures are much higher in continental Europe. I'll take it for granted that you’ve read or seen TV news reports about massacres committed by Muslims in Europe. You may not know that Sweden has become Europe’s rape capital, as the result of Muslim immigration. You may not know that, due to 600 women being sexually assaulted by Muslim immigrants in Cologne last New Year’s Eve, three nights ago over 1,500 German police were on hand, to protect women from another mass assault. This was denounced by the German Left as “racial profiling”. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and acts like a duck, it is monumentally stupid to call it a canary.

jakee

I took two contiguous quotes that best synthesized Joe's ideological myopia.

***No, cwood was right, you simply didn't properly read or understand what Joe said, therefore your entire response is a non-sequitur.

Congratulations on making it contain lots of words though - we're all very impressed:)

If my "entire response is a non-sequitur", then why did you answer it? And yes, it's easy to see why you think 57 words are a lot.

I'll take a wild guess that I've sat and sipped mint tea with more Muslims than have most people here have met. I'll also guess that I've seen Islam's treatment of women more closely than any here who haven't work in the Middle East. All of them voiced admiration for suhada.

All of who, the women? Your writing is unclear.

At least 1/3 of British Muslims believe that suicide bombings are justified. More than ½ want to see sharia law imposed.

Hahaha nope.

Inasmuch as three have been best-sellers, I guess that puts you in a minority regarding their being readable;

Logic isn't your strong suit is it?

Best selling and readability or even whether or not the book is read have nothing to do with each other.

The bible is the most sold book in the world. Not very readable and many people who own a bible have never read it cover to cover.

It does show that your ranting is probably significantly more ideology driven than fact and logic driven.

>"Always wondered why public bathrooms were segregated, as bathrooms in people's homes aren't."

See that men have the ability to spray a toilet seat, sprinkle the floor with urine, and don't flush is one reason I'm sure. But then my wife tells me, women's restrooms are no better.

As for our church...don't see us providing any special restrooms for the confused. Damn sure there will be no He/She visiting the women's room, they will be more likely directed to the men's room, unless of course they have had a split and tuck procedure performed and don't make a major deal of it.

But that's my impression of it.

Hoop

If my "entire response is a non-sequitur", then why did you answer it?

You think that because you were wrong no-one should reply to point out that you were wrong? That's bizarre. It's also quite hypocritical. In your introduction to this thread you not only answered a post of Don's that you thought was a non-sequitur, you also spent time on Google figuring out a big enough insult to throw back at him.

And yes, it's easy to see why you think 57 words are a lot.

If you're taking this so seriously you went back to do a word count how come you're incapable of figuring out how to format your posts properly?

Helpless without your editors?:D

I realize this is a forlorn hope, and it would gut Speaker's Corner, but perhaps we could strive for an ethic where any post that contains deliberate insults is just ignored and not responded to in any way. Surely anyone with an actual point to make could do so without resorting to "libtard" or "rePUBican" or "SJW" and so on.

It's pretty obvious that Hoop did not post to this thread to convince anyone of the validity of his point of view. However he has done an excellent job of trolling several posters. Why do people bother feeding a troll?

Don

jakee

Katie Price (Jordan) has had 5 bestselling novels, averaging hundreds of thousands of copies sold per title. So how much better is she at writing books than you are?

Could be

A) she appeals to people who watch reality TV

B) Her ginormous fake tits

C) Ghost writers were employed by the publisher.

Hoop

A) she appeals to people who watch reality TV

B) Her ginormous fake tits

So now you're saying bestseller status doesn't directly relate to readibility or quality of writing? What does that do to your comeback against Normiss?

Hoop

***Inasmuch as three have been best-sellers, I guess that puts you in a minority regarding their being readable;

Logic isn't your strong suit is it?

The publishing world isn't your strong suit, is it?

Handling the "quote" button correctly on DZ.COM isn't your strong suit, is it?

Replying to the correct poster isn't your strong suit, is it?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's pretty obvious that Hoop did not post to this thread to convince anyone of the validity of his point of view. However he has done an excellent job of trolling several posters. Why do people bother feeding a troll?

I think you may be looking through the wrong end of the telescope. What was your first look-at-how-virtuous-I-am comment on my HRC postmortem Ron posted? Something about how sad it was that I was filled with so much hate? What was whatsisname's first post saying [falsely as it happens] I took advantage of the NHS? It's not surprising both of you suddenly went mute on those and made tangential shifts when I supplied answers. If responding in kind to less-than-complimentary-comments is trolling, then I'm guilty as charged. Thanks, it gave me cause for yet another wry smile.

Hoop

I think you may be looking through the wrong end of the telescope. What was your first look-at-how-virtuous-I-am comment on my HRC postmortem Ron posted? Something about how sad it was that I was filled with so much hate? What was whatsisname's first post saying [falsely as it happens] I took advantage of the NHS? It's not surprising both of you suddenly went mute on those and made tangential shifts when I supplied answers. If responding in kind to less-than-complimentary-comments is trolling, then I'm guilty as charged. Thanks, it gave me cause for yet another wry smile.

As a writer, your profession is (I would assume) the communication of ideas. If you intend to say one thing and a sizable element of your audience hears something else, perhaps you should consider the possibility that your effort to communicate your ideas could be at fault. I certainly am aware that I need to take into account my audience when I speak about my research, for example. I would not use the same approach when speaking to an undergraduate class that I would at a research conference. If I give a lecture to a class and later (say, when I ask a question on an exam) discover that 90% of the students have misunderstood a particular point, I assume that I failed to teach that point in a manner my audience could understand.

Re-reading your original post, I still find it aggressively smug, patronizing, and somewhat vitriolic. I would not enjoy a personal conversation presented in such a tone; perhaps those people who no longer invite you over for dinner are put off not by your ideas but by how you present them. Nothing about your post invited dissent or discussion of the facts or merits of your positions. It came across as "fuck you, progressives". Given your obvious facility with words, I think it's more likely than not that that was your intent. If it was not, you should take a big step back and reconsider your choice of language.

Don

How very knowledgeable you are. When I'm not working on one of my own projects, Helion and Osprey hire me as a freelance copy editor. You do know what a copy editor is, right? Right? Send 'em your manuscript and it might end up on my screen.

As you're undoubtedly aware, we like to know the word count. As a professional wordsmith you'll have the number on the tip of your tongue. Excellent.

GeorgiaDon

As a writer, your profession is (I would assume) the communication of ideas. If you intend to say one thing and a sizable element of your audience hears something else, perhaps you should consider the possibility that your effort to communicate your ideas could be at fault. I certainly am aware that I need to take into account my audience when I speak about my research, for example. I would not use the same approach when speaking to an undergraduate class that I would at a research conference. If I give a lecture to a class and later (say, when I ask a question on an exam) discover that 90% of the students have misunderstood a particular point, I assume that I failed to teach that point in a manner my audience could understand.

Re-reading your original post, I still find it aggressively smug, patronizing, and somewhat vitriolic. I would not enjoy a personal conversation presented in such a tone; perhaps those people who no longer invite you over for dinner are put off not by your ideas but by how you present them. Nothing about your post invited dissent or discussion of the facts or merits of your positions. It came across as "fuck you, progressives". Given your obvious facility with words, I think it's more likely than not that that was your intent. If it was not, you should take a big step back and reconsider your choice of language.Don

I'll agree with you on various levels. First, that when the student fails to learn, the teacher fails to teach. Yes, smug to a certain degree, as answer to the overweening smugness of Hillary-ites pre-election. Yes, again, a "fuck you, progressives," in response to a year's worth of being labeled as intrinsically evil for not supporting HRC's agenda. Even patronizing after seeing the floods of tears, immediately followed by violent and destructive riots. Not to mention determined efforts to nullify the election results. (The same anti-democratic progressive phenomenon reared its head here in the aftermath of Brexit.)

Actually, stepping back from politics (and if I understand your area of expertise correctly), I'd have been very interested in learning something about the latest research, albeit couched in layman's terms. Although I'm not likely to be heading off to the tropics anytime soon, I still have a few blister packs of Malarone lurking somewhere and have no idea if resistant strains are appearing.

Hoop

How very knowledgeable you are. When I'm not working on one of my own projects, Helion and Osprey hire me as a freelance copy editor. You do know what a copy editor is, right? Right? Send 'em your manuscript and it might end up on my screen.

As you're undoubtedly aware, we like to know the word count. As a professional wordsmith you'll have the number on the tip of your tongue. Excellent.

Your logic reasoning still sucks though.

So you have a way with words, but your message makes no sense. Mind you, in today's world the packaging is more important than the contents.

Hoop

How very knowledgeable you are. When I'm not working on one of my own projects, Helion and Osprey hire me as a freelance copy editor.

And yet you're still incapable of learning simple post formatting? It's obvious by how worked up you are that you're putting a lot of time and effort into responding to people here, it's a shame that you're undermining all that work by being so lazy in your presentation.

As you're undoubtedly aware, we like to know the word count.

We? People who post on internet forums? No, can't really say I am aware of that to be honest.

Hoop

Your logic reasoning still sucks though.

Well, your "logic reasoning" is as immaculate and smooth as … let’s see, I’ll use a favourite novel I haven’t read in awhile. How about Mikhail Sholokhov’s Pulitzer Prize-winning And Quiet Flows the Don? I wouldn’t recommend trying it in the original first time. My final exam in college was based on it, but there’s so much archaic Russian vernacular that I really struggled. It's fun dipping into occasionally nowadays but I've forgotten so much vocabulary I need a dictionary at my elbow. There are, however, some excellent English translations. Have a look and you’ll see it’s as smooth as your "logic reasoning". Just a suggestion.

See how much effort you put into that.

Now put the same effort into explaining how sales numbers prove readability as you claimed for your own work.