jclalor

VP debate

I thought Kaine mopped the floor with Pence. Pence looked embarrassed at times when reminded of some of Trump's quotes and stances, and couldn't or wouldn't defend them. I felt just a bit sorry for Pence, I don't think Pence is really thrilled with this gig.

Kaine would have been more effective if he didn't continually interrupt Pence.

Both of them interrupting was a total shit show and the moderator didn't do much moderating.
I noticed that Pence said he agreed with Kaine a few times and nodded his head almost as much as he shook it no...so it appeared he agreed with a lot of what Kaine was saying.
They both seem to be nice guys for the most part, just with polar opposites on their stance on some key issues.
I did like Kaine's views on having deeply held personal beliefs and setting those aside from the challenges of a public office. Polar opposite.

I really don't know who won, they both repeated their current party script IMO.

Both of them interrupting was a total shit show...

Agreed.

... and the moderator didn't do much moderating.

I don't know what the moderator is supposed to do when neither debater will shut up and let the other speak. She was certainly trying and they just talked over her. It might be helpful if the moderator could control which microphone is "on" or at least shut off the "interrupter" so only one can be heard at a time.

Kaine was worse for interrupting, at least at first. I heard his performance described as "too caffeinated" which seems about right. On the other hand, it must have been really infuriating to try to debate with someone who just denies, over and over, statements that are public record. "If Donald Trump had said those things...(about Mexicans, women, the military, etc)" WTF? There's no "if"! Racking up a billion dollar loss is "brilliant"??? How do you debate someone who lives in such an alternate reality land that they take every stupid thing Trump has said and either deny it or imply it was actually Clinton that said it? Who denies that he and Trump have repeatedly spoken in admiring tones about Putin's leadership qualities? Who denies that Trump has said he would create a deportation force to round up every undocumented immigrant, starting on "day one"?

Listening past all the noise and fury, here's what I got from the Pence side re policy:
1. They will vastly increase the size of the military.
2. They will use the military to "project American force" around the world.
3. They will start a hot war with Russia over Syria.
4. They will use the office of the presidency to compel everyone to live by conservative Christian values.
5. They will prevent people from questioning the behavior of the police.

There is more, but that's enough for me.

Don

GeorgiaDon

and the moderator didn't do much moderating.

I don't know what the moderator is supposed to do when neither debater will shut up and let the other speak. She was certainly trying and they just talked over her. It might be helpful if the moderator could control which microphone is "on" or at least shut off the "interrupter" so only one can be heard at a time.

mic control seems to be the obvious answer.

I'm ready for chess match format, where only one mic is active at a time and when that person is done yammering, they hit the clock to transfer it. The catch is the clock measures duration, so one is grabbing too much time, then at a time threshold (+3 mins?) they get cut off and the other gets free rein for a while.

kelpdiver

I'm ready for chess match format, where only one mic is active at a time and when that person is done yammering, they hit the clock to transfer it. The catch is the clock measures duration, so one is grabbing too much time, then at a time threshold (+3 mins?) they get cut off and the other gets free rein for a while.

They should stop calling them "debates". Doing so gives real debate a bad name.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kelpdiver

this is perfect

I'd also like a runny tally that counts up how many responses are negative about the 'other guy' and how many are positive about their own campaign

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***mic control seems to be the obvious answer.

this is perfect

I'd also like a runny tally that counts up how many responses are negative about the 'other guy' and how many are positive about their own campaign

I say they should work it out in the Arena.

If neither one succeeds in killing the other, turn loose the lions and find new candidates.

Pay Per View should cover most of the costs of the election.

I say they should work it out in the Arena.

If neither one succeeds in killing the other, turn loose the lions and find new candidates.

Pay Per View should cover most of the costs of the election.

That's basically how Kings and chieftains were originally chosen.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

When I clicked the 'NEXT UNREAD TOPIC" button in 2023, this popped up.  I started reading out of interest and thought it might be worth bumping to see what our collective impression was of Trump/Pence back then.  The last post about Springer pushed it over the top.

I stand by what I thought at the time: media agencies who hosted debates (Primaries, Pres and VP) should have enforced rules.  Because Trump got out of hand during the primaries (throwing tantrums if he didn't get put center stage, taking up everyone else's speaking time), and the hosts let him get away with it, these behaviors carried over to the main election debates.  

I suggested on another thread then, and restate it now.  The host needs to find a way to enforce the rules, either by turning off the mic of those who do not have the floor, or one of the suggestions above.

• Like 1

Hi TriGirl,

Re:  debates (Primaries, Pres and VP) should have enforced rules

Actual debates do have enforced rules.

In 2016 they were not debates in any sense of the word.

In 2020, due to this crap that you described, they did have the power to turn off the mike.

Let's hope it continues.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1