yoink

Ohio police officer kills black teenager 'who drew BB gun'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37374029

But in contrast to some of the previous incidents, I'm going to lay the blame on this one squarely on the parents.

If your kid is dumb enough to a) run from the cops , then b) pull a BB gun out of their waistband then the outcome is predictable enough.

Tragic, sure. But predictable.

yoink

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37374029

But in contrast to some of the previous incidents, I'm going to lay the blame on this one squarely on the parents.

If your kid is dumb enough to a) run from the cops , then b) pull a BB gun out of their waistband then the outcome is predictable enough.

I was present when a young man received the mandatory minimum sentence of 1 year for pointing a novelty '.45 auto' paperweight at someone.

Making the threat of lethal force elicits the same response, regardless of whether a firearm is real and loaded or a non-firing replica.

Pointing a water pistol at a cop looking for an armed assailant has been known to get someone shot. This situation is hardly unique.

In general, initiating a firefight, with or without a working firearm, is a bad career move.

BSBD,

Winsor

normiss

Only white people survive pointing a weapon at LEO, and not always then.

Even unarmed white people get shot and killed, just because they didn't keep their hands visible.

There's only one correct way to interact with police. The one that keeps you from getting shot.

Don't point guns at cops. Don't play with guns or anything looking like a gun. Don't look like you're hiding something that might be a weapon when police are around. And for Fucks Sake, if you're black defin-fucking-itly don't even think about doing any of the above. We'll work on the racism, don't give cops a reason for shooting, because we know they will even if you're doing nothing.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

winsor

***http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37374029

I was present when a young man received the mandatory minimum sentence of 1 year for pointing a novelty '.45 auto' paperweight at someone.

Making the threat of lethal force elicits the same response, regardless of whether a firearm is real and loaded or a non-firing replica.

Pointing a water pistol at a cop looking for an armed assailant has been known to get someone shot. This situation is hardly unique.

In general, initiating a firefight, with or without a working firearm, is a bad career move.

BSBD,

Winsor

So a gun is not just a tool when even a rubber or plastic replica is considered a deadly threat.

SkyDekker

******http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37374029

BSBD,

Winsor

So a gun is not just a tool when even a rubber or plastic replica is considered a deadly threat.

If you come at someone with a rubber hammer or a Wiffle bat as though it was the real deal, you may expect a violent response.

The young man in Nice showed how a perfectly normal lorry can be used to great effect.

The malice of the person making the perceived threat is the issue.

SkyDekker

The young man in Nice showed how a perfectly normal lorry can be used to great effect.

Was he using a fake lorry? Or you just enjoy throwing a little non-relevant emotion into things?

Counterpoint.

Fake things with implied malicious intent are interpreted as a threat.

Otherwise benign things applied maliciously are a real threat.

Indifference is not an emotion.

>If you come at someone with a rubber hammer or a Wiffle bat as though it was
>the real deal, you may expect a violent response.

Someone aimed a white, orange and blue truck at the front of my house the other day and then drove towards it. I neglected to kill the driver. My bad.

billvon

>If you come at someone with a rubber hammer or a Wiffle bat as though it was
>the real deal, you may expect a violent response.

Someone aimed a white, orange and blue truck at the front of my house the other day and then drove towards it. I neglected to kill the driver. My bad.

Yeah, I had someone attack me with a vehicle at one point and focused on getting away.

A .380 with target ammo against 6,000# of Detroit iron?

You win.

skycop

Looks like they handled it well.

Though your post certainly has an air of justification for shooting people without their hands visible, you know just in case.

I once spent a week supervising a group of teenagers doing volunteer work for a hospital in the evenings. The hospital had run out of room for records storage, so they had rented the unused 2nd floor of a local business, and the teenagers were loading the records in a truck at at the hospital, then unloading the truck across town at the business. I was driving the truck, and on arrival at the business I had to unlock the business, then go inside and quickly disable the silent alarm before it triggered.

Well, one evening around dusk, I wasn't quick enough, but didn't know it, (silent alarm). I, and some of the teenagers, were inside when a cop came walking up in the alley where the truck and the others were located. One of the teenagers, on seeing the cop, dropped into a deep, wide stance, threw up his arms in a rigid isosceles stance, and yelled at the cop: "FREEZE!!!":S

I think my words to the kid afterward were something like:

"You blithering idiot!!! You are lucky these are cops in a small town who rarely encounter gun violence. If you did that 100 miles away in Chicago, you'd be in a body bag now.">:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It's an illustration of why cops still have to be wary, even after a suspect is on the ground, sometimes even when partially under control.

People wonder why Alton Sterling was shot, this is a glaring example.

Same goes for the situation in Ohio, looking for robbery suspects. They are located and run, kid pulls a weapon from his waistband, it's game over. It's sad, a tragedy on many levels, but the predictable/justified result. Hesitation in this business can lead to many unintended results, very few of them good.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Why is it you always point blame except where it belongs. Yes there have been some terrible misuses of power and authority whether by a racist bigots, or just by a mistake, based on the facts after the the fact. Why is it so hard to understand this person brought this on themselves by their actions. Were you not raised to take responsibility for YOUR actions, or is it every one else fault. The police officer has no way of knowing that the person is wielding a simple BB gun, which can still cause an injury, in a split moment, and I would be willing to bet if the police officer called"time out" to ask the offender if the gun was real he would have just been fired upon, with yes a BB gun that can stiil take your eyes.

tikl68

Why is it you always point blame except where it belongs. Yes there have been some terrible misuses of power and authority whether by a racist bigots, or just by a mistake, based on the facts after the the fact. Why is it so hard to understand this person brought this on themselves by their actions. Were you not raised to take responsibility for YOUR actions, or is it every one else fault. The police officer has no way of knowing that the person is wielding a simple BB gun, which can still cause an injury, in a split moment, and I would be willing to bet if the police officer called"time out" to ask the offender if the gun was real he would have just been fired upon, with yes a BB gun that can stiil take your eyes.

Here you go, this is why. This is pretty recent and the only reason the cops are caught is because they didn't realize the cell phone was still recording while they discuss fabricating charges.

This would have been one of those statistics police like to hide behind about how everything is wonderful.

http://www.jurist.org/paperchase/2016/09/video-surfaces-in-dui-case-showing-officers-planning-fabricated-charges.php

None of these actions are new. The frequency with which they now get recorded and brought to light is what is new.

Were you not raised to take responsibility for YOUR actions,

Absolutely. That's why I think police officers should take responsibility for their actions. Not justify with what could be, but based on what actually is. They did chose to be a police officers, trained and applied for the job etc. Not like it is all a grand surprise.

skycop

It's an illustration of why cops still have to be wary, even after a suspect is on the ground, sometimes even when partially under control.

People wonder why Alton Sterling was shot, this is a glaring example.

Same goes for the situation in Ohio, looking for robbery suspects. They are located and run, kid pulls a weapon from his waistband, it's game over. It's sad, a tragedy on many levels, but the predictable/justified result. Hesitation in this business can lead to many unintended results, very few of them good.

If it's predictable, explain carefully why cops in other first world nations are not killing people with such great regularity. Other countries have criminals too.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If it's predictable, explain carefully why cops in other first world nations are not killing people with such great regularity. Other countries have criminals too.

We've already had this conversation, many times. :S

No other free society on earth is as heavily armed as ours, like it or not. (With the possible exception of the Swiss).

I'll repeat this once again.
In my travels, all the cops I've met in other countries think American cops are nuts. Because our society is so heavily armed with weapons..................... and rights.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

We've already had this conversation, many times. :S

No other free society on earth is as heavily armed as ours, like it or not. (With the possible exception of the Swiss).

I'll repeat this once again.
In my travels, all the cops I've met in other countries think American cops are nuts. Because our society is so heavily armed with weapons..................... and rights.

Bingo.

Kallend used to live in England. Maybe he would feel safer over there.