jclalor

What's Aleppo?

I'm going to give him a pass on not knowing. It's a city in Syria, but it's not like it's the capital. Would he have scored points if he knew what it was, minor, but I'm reasonably certain the question was designed and delivered as a gotcha.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

I'm going to give him a pass on not knowing. It's a city in Syria, but it's not like it's the capital. Would he have scored points if he knew what it was, minor, but I'm reasonably certain the question was designed and delivered as a gotcha.

agreed -

what I really like about the gotcha segments, is that (once he's clarifies it's a question about Syria) they cut off the recording right when he starts to talk about what he'd do (ie. answer the question)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

I'm just a truck driver from Canada, not a potential POTUS. But I know that Aleppo is currently the scene of some of the greatest human misery going on in Syria and has been for well over a year. You can not listen to any news of international affairs and not know this. It definitely says something about the man that he does not pay attention to what is in the news.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

And there have been a number of documentaries about it with the "Aleppo" in the title for the last couple of years, which is probably why I remember it.

That said, asked about the word out of context I can absolutely see where somebody might need a clue as to what the other person is getting at.
quade -

quade

YOU know where Aleppo is, I know, I expect even rushmc and turtle know. And we aren't running for the job of leader of the free world.

A candidate for POTUS should know stuff like this too, since it directly affects US foreign policy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yeah, but let's get serious for a second. Johnson is a stoner who has no chance whatsoever of getting elected.

I really can't get worked up over him.

Ask Trump and I'm sure (previous to today) he'd also have no idea.

I'm reasonably certain Hillary would though.
quade -

quade

A gotcha question? Aleppo is the largest city in Syria and has seen more death and destruction than any other city in Syria. I'm not sure how it's possible to have never heard of it, it would almost require intentionally not listening or reading anything about Syria over the past 4 years. The little boy that was pulled out of the collapsed building in Aleppo this month will be one of the most iconic photos of the year.

I haven't read a single piece that said this was a gotcha question. Perhaps you could provide a link where it's mentioned.

quade

Yeah, but let's get serious for a second. Johnson is a stoner who has no chance whatsoever of getting elected.

I really can't get worked up over him.

Ask Trump and I'm sure (previous to today) he'd also have no idea.

I'm reasonably certain Hillary would though.

I agree. I'm not outraged or anything. It's just hard to take someone so out of touch seriously.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***I'm going to give him a pass on not knowing. It's a city in Syria, but it's not like it's the capital. Would he have scored points if he knew what it was, minor, but I'm reasonably certain the question was designed and delivered as a gotcha.

I'm just a truck driver from Canada, not a potential POTUS. But I know that Aleppo is currently the scene of some of the greatest human misery going on in Syria and has been for well over a year. You can not listen to any news of international affairs and not know this. It definitely says something about the man that he does not pay attention to what is in the news.

I'm assuming he doesn't have the time to listen to the news as much as you do.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

***I'm going to give him a pass on not knowing. It's a city in Syria, but it's not like it's the capital. Would he have scored points if he knew what it was, minor, but I'm reasonably certain the question was designed and delivered as a gotcha.

YOU know where Aleppo is, I know, I expect even rushmc and turtle know. And we aren't running for the job of leader of the free world.

A candidate for POTUS should know stuff like this too, since it directly affects US foreign policy.

I'd be willing to bet, that even Obama wouldn't be able to point out the city on a map, without its name on it. But he has a whole cabinet full of advisers that are paid to do just that. How many people does the federal and government employee for Johnson to know these things for him.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

That's probably true. But you have to extend that to almost never in order to account for never hearing of Aleppo.

gowlerk

That's probably true. But you have to extend that to almost never in order to account for never hearing of Aleppo.

I don't believe that was put in any context that was in the line of discussion.

If I ask you a stream of questions on one topic, then just jump to Aleppo, might it be possible that it wouldn't be a something on the forefront of your mind?

Have you ever had to be reminded of the name of a city, or an event?

I am surprised that he didn't know. Disappointed that he stumbled. But he never could have won anyway.

normiss

The serious part of this to me is that this looks to be his end, yet Trump can't even get anything even remotely right and it's simply ignored.
It's just insane.:S

Trump uses a technique we frequently see here used by conspiracy posters and others; flood the channel with so much bullshit it's almost impossible to realistically debunk it.

It's not that each individual point can't be debunked, in fact it's trivial, but the mountain of bullshit is overwhelming and by the time you've debunked myth one, he's on to lie #57.

There was absolutely no better example of that than in the History and Trivia section and the "thread that must not be named."
quade -

>Trump uses a technique we frequently see here used by conspiracy posters and
>others; flood the channel with so much bullshit it's almost impossible to
>realistically debunk it.

That's often referred to as the Gish Gallop, and was exemplified by Duane Gish, a young-earth creationist. Eugenie Scott, who was the executive director of the National Center for Science Education, described the gallop as a speech "where the creationist is allowed to run on for 45 minutes or an hour, spewing forth torrents of error that the evolutionist hasn't a prayer of refuting in the format of a debate."

turtlespeed

I don't believe that was put in any context that was in the line of discussion.

If I ask you a stream of questions on one topic, then just jump to Aleppo, might it be possible that it wouldn't be a something on the forefront of your mind?

Have you ever had to be reminded of the name of a city, or an event?

I am surprised that he didn't know. Disappointed that he stumbled. But he never could have won anyway.

If Johnson's campaign does go up in flames, it'll be interesting to see where his 8% goes.

turtlespeed

******I'm going to give him a pass on not knowing. It's a city in Syria, but it's not like it's the capital. Would he have scored points if he knew what it was, minor, but I'm reasonably certain the question was designed and delivered as a gotcha.

Ex. God forbid a presidential candidate would follow international issues. That's what briefings and body language are for. Everybody knows that.