quade

"Romney skipping GOP convention, joins list of presidents, leaders" -- CNN

Washington (CNN)Mitt Romney won't attend the Republican National Convention this summer, joining four previous nominees in skipping the event and underscoring the deep divide inside the GOP over Donald Trump becoming the party's standard-bearer.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/mitt-romney-skips-republican-convention/index.html?sr=twCNN050516mitt-romney-skips-republican-convention0551PMStoryLink&linkId=24186945

So what's the Republican Party's plan here; just ignore Trump and the convention and let Trump continue to make a jackass out of himself as well as just let him have the nomination?

I'm really unclear on all of this. Did they all just resign themselves that this election cycle is a complete lost cause and they're just going to distance themselves from it?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It is high time the sane portion of the GOP went off to form a new party.

Too bad Bloomberg didn't run; I think a 3rd party candidate would have a good shot this year.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yep
the establishment leaders power is being threatened

In the end, I think those staying away helps Trump
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If the republican establishment wants to "enforce party discipline" about things like voting in Congress, voting on a SC nominee, and meeting with the President when he visits your state (the governor of Michigan first said he was "just too busy" to meet with the President), then you shouldn't get to go all independent when the establishment isn't entirely in charge any more.

It's kind of hypocritical; maintain discipline when I say, but I don't have to.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Paul,

Here are some who are aligning themselves with Trump.

Conversely, I just read where Bush 41 & 43 are staying out of this election.

For the R's I think it might just be down to the sane & the insane. Too bad really, I like a good election contest.

Jerry Baumchen

ryoder

It is high time the sane portion of the GOP went off to form a new party.

Too bad Bloomberg didn't run; I think a 3rd party candidate would have a good shot this year.

I'm hoping Trump's nomination will serve as the impetus for the US to finally move past the first past the post voting system and implement something more (mathematically) fair, such as ranked voting or instant runoff voting. Until that happens, a vote for a third party candidate is effectively a vote for the candidate who is in the lead.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Sadly, in order to really reform the election process it would take an Amendment to the Constitution since elections are left up to the states. As long as every state gets to run its own show, it's always going to be a mess.
quade -

> Did they all just resign themselves that this election cycle is a complete lost cause
>and they're just going to distance themselves from it?

Pretty much. They are positioning themselves so they can say "Trump? Yeah, I didn't really have much to do with him. I am really part of the new GOP, which is not quite the same as the party that elected Trump."

I like this quote about Donald:

“He’s the definition of a man who was born on third and thinks he hit a triple."

What’s worse, he uses his wealth to rip people off and is now sowing hatred and division every place he steps.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

> Did they all just resign themselves that this election cycle is a complete lost cause
>and they're just going to distance themselves from it?

Pretty much. They are positioning themselves so they can say "Trump? Yeah, I didn't really have much to do with him. I am really part of the new GOP, which is not quite the same as the party that elected Trump."

Yup. We see the same thing here in SC. Whenever the Republicans fuck up, suck a dick, or turn out to be child molesters, the resident SC Republicans all proclaim to be libertarians.

I hate Trump.

I hate Clinton.

Clinton will kill Trump, most of the people in this thread will cheer.

The American people will be just as screwed.

But "our team" won will be the most important thing. Both parties had such better people to put up.....

But we got Trump and Clinton.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

mirage62

But we got Trump and Clinton.

I didn't want Clinton since I don't like the idea of the Presidency being swapped back and forth between two families (you can actually check this by doing a search here), but between Trump and Clinton there's no question she is the more qualified of the two.

8 years ago I called Hillary unelectable and at the time she was.

This time . . . she's really the only logical choice.
quade -

quade

***But we got Trump and Clinton.

I didn't want Clinton since I don't like the idea of the Presidency being swapped back and forth between two families (you can actually check this by doing a search here), but between Trump and Clinton there's no question she is the more qualified of the two.

8 years ago I called Hillary unelectable and at the time she was.

This time . . . she's really the only logical choice.

I remember you didn't want Jeb Bush for pretty much the same reason. And it's one I agree with.

But the problem with HRC being the only logical choice is that logic seems to have gone out the window this time.

Jerry Baumchen mentioned the "silent majority" a few posts up.

Trump seems to have really grabbed hold of it. As I noted a while back, he was polling in the low to mid single digits as the typical "I'm not a career politician" candidate. But once he railed against Mexicans and Muslims he skyrocketed.

The closeted bigots and xenophobes jumped on his bandwagon so fast it was stunning.

While logic and reason seem to indicate he can't beat HRC, some polls are showing the opposite.

6 months ago I would have bet very heavily against Trump becoming the nominee. I would thought it virtually impossible for him to win the election.

Now I'm not so sure. I think he might be able to pull it off.

He's taking full advantage of his "promoter" ability. He's basically figured out how to manipulate the stupid people to support him.

And he's doing a pretty good job of it. He's got the full on "demagogue" thing down pretty good.

Combine that with the virulent hatred a lot of people have for HRC, add in the fact that there are a lot of men who would do pretty much anything to keep a woman out of the Oval Office (admittedly, these are the same ones who would have done practically anything to keep a black man out), and you have the potential for the Idiocracy party to win.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The governor of Massachusetts said the same thing the other day.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

The governor of Massachusetts said the same thing the other day.

Wendy P.

I wonder how much of a popular vote there will be vs electoral. I bet the margin is wide and reversed.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

wolfriverjoe

He's taking full advantage of his "promoter" ability. He's basically figured out how to manipulate the stupid people to support him.

And he's doing a pretty good job of it. He's got the full on "demagogue" thing down pretty good.

Interesting article from NPR on how he learned it from professional wrestling: http://www.npr.org/2016/04/30/476198343/4-ways-donald-trumps-pro-wrestling-experience-is-like-his-campaign-today
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.