ryoder

Video appears to show police officer pepper-spraying motorcyclists

ryoder

It was deodorant - obviously the bikers were smelly.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

Sure looks like felony assault and battery to me, possibly some risk of serious injury and/or death as well.
What a douche nozzle.

Well, it would be if you or I did it.

We shall see what the officer faces. Or doesn't face.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

>We shall see what the officer faces. Or doesn't face.

You have to understand - that officer just wanted to be able to go home to his family. Besides, those bikers were no choir boys!

Well, the truck that was pulled over was one of the "safety/support" vehicles for the ride. Driver had no license, people were standing in the bed while it was driving down the road.

There are reports that some of the bikes were blocking traffic and stunting and such.

Both of which are stupid and dangerous.

But putting a cloud of pepperspray out for the riders to go through is not the proper way to handle that sort of thing, IMO.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I did a search of the thread title and just got a video of a cop sharing his nachos with bikers at a city bar......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Doing stupid things, while reacting to people doing stupid things, just brings you down to their level, and violates policy.

Those bikers enjoy riding around doing stupid things, like blocking/stopping traffic on highways to do donuts and burnouts. There are so many of them the cops really can't do anything about it. So the cops get frustrated and one does something stupid, the cop will face a consequence and the bikers face none. Sort of a microcosm of today's society, it's all about me, screw everyone else.

The officer will get in trouble and rightfully so, he stooped to their level.

I ride a lot, an older power cruiser, I come across these sportbike clowns occasionally, they are just a bunch of anti-social assholes. I encounter them when working sometimes, but not in the numbers they do out west.
I refuse to play their game and chase them, I just wave as they fly by. I'm not going to put the public in more danger by chasing them.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

Doing stupid things, while reacting to people doing stupid things, just brings you down to their level, and violates policy.

Those bikers enjoy riding around doing stupid things, like blocking/stopping traffic on highways to do donuts and burnouts. There are so many of them the cops really can't do anything about it. So the cops get frustrated and one does something stupid, the cop will face a consequence and the bikers face none. Sort of a microcosm of today's society, it's all about me, screw everyone else.

The officer will get in trouble and rightfully so, he stooped to their level.

I ride a lot, an older power cruiser, I come across these sportbike clowns occasionally, they are just a bunch of anti-social assholes. I encounter them when working sometimes, but not in the numbers they do out west.
I refuse to play their game and chase them, I just wave as they fly by. I'm not going to put the public in more danger by chasing them.

I know you are a cop and you feel a reflexive need to explain the actions of a brother. That's the problem. There is another much simpler explanation.

The cop is simply an asshole committing an assault and he should be in jail. Just like any other asshole who assaults someone with a weapon illegally. He should be booked, held until he makes bail, tried, and sentenced like anyone else. Nothing more, nothing less.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

skycop

Those bikers enjoy riding around doing stupid things, like blocking/stopping traffic on highways to do donuts and burnouts.

Those bikers? The bikers in this video, i.e. the only ones you should be referring to in the context of this incident, were not doing any of the things you mention. Were they?

I hate jerks on bikes too, as much as I hate jerks in cars, and jerks on unicycles. But a bike does not a jerk make, nor a car, nor a unicycle.

Nor does a badge. If I wanted to exercise the same line of thought you did above, I could look down my nose at every cop I see for the rest of my life, saying "those guys with badges spray pepper spray on innocents." But I wouldn't make a silly generalization like that.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Those bikers? The bikers in this video, i.e. the only ones you should be referring to in the context of this incident, were not doing any of the things you mention. Were they?

I hate jerks on bikes too, as much as I hate jerks in cars, and jerks on unicycles. But a bike does not a jerk make, nor a car, nor a unicycle.

Nor does a badge. If I wanted to exercise the same line of thought you did above, I could look down my nose at every cop I see for the rest of my life, saying "those guys with badges spray pepper spray on innocents." But I wouldn't make a silly generalization like that.

"Those bikers" behavior is consistent with other groups who engage in the types of riding listed previously.

You or I have no idea what occurred before or after the video footage.

I made no excuses, I'm looking at this from being a cop, a rider, and driver providing context.

The Go-Pro wearing pack of bikers normally aren't just out for a Sunday ride. Many of these type of riders are the ones who have ruined Deals Gap, and make public highways their own playground of stupidity. If they want to go out and ride wheelies, race, and ride recklessly I really don't care. They should just do it in a place that the only ones they will injure or inconvenience are themselves.

The officer fucked up and acted like an asshole, two wrongs don't make a right.

The officer fucked up and acted like an asshole, two wrongs don't make a right.

True, but have you noticed that there is only evidence of one wrong? We are all a little oversensitive about your POV. You are not actually going so far as to be making excuses. But I, and probably others suspect that as a professional courtesy you would cut him slack that you would not for others.

We've all seen too much of that. Not just the famous cases either, but in our own lives.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

skycop

You or I have no idea what occurred before or after the video footage.

Correct.

skycop

two wrongs don't make a right.

Also correct. But what are the two wrongs that the video shows? I only count one. Did the second one occur before or after the video? Because we both agree that is unknown.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

According to Fort Worth police, the department had fielded several calls reporting reckless driving.

The investigation should be easily able to prove this, calls are documented along with radio traffic and other units video.

Did the second one occur before or after the video? Because we both agree that is unknown.

We should know that in fairly short order, either way it doesn't excuse the officers actions.

But again, these folks were not out for a Sunday charity poker run.

skycop

But again, these folks were not out for a Sunday charity poker run.

We get it. You won't give up your preconceived notion of a stranger, despite agreeing multiple times to lack of any evidence. Cool! B|

Next time you meet somebody who refuses to let go of his preconceived notions of cops, think about how much you and him have in common!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

We should know that in fairly short order, either way it doesn't excuse the officers actions.

Forgot that part.

Next time you meet somebody who refuses to let go of his preconceived notions of cops, think about how much you and him have in common!

I do, all the time, had it happen twice last night, I really don't care what they think.

I'm simply saying these things don't occur in a vacuum, like detractors and certain media outlets would lead one to believe.

I'm simply saying these things don't occur in a vacuum, like detractors and certain media outlets would lead one to believe.

We know that. We know that cops are often in stressful situations and are just humans. We know that humans make mistakes. We know that most cops, like most other people are just trying to do their jobs as well as they can. And we know that the thin blue line is what keeps us from anarchy.

We also know that cops have been covering each others misdeeds. And that they do it all to often because even if they know it's wrong, they also know that if they speak up they will be ostracized by their peers.

But now things are changing because video and social media brings many of these actions into the light of day. It is forcing cultural change upon the institution of policing. And it will be good for the police. No longer will the bad apples feel safe to commit misdeeds. The new culture will be a strong feeling of not wanting to let your fellow officers down. And not to put them on the spot by needing to lie or turn the other way.

It is called "accountability" and it has come to most people in most other jobs long ago. We all adapted, and so will the police.

Now, if only we can bring it to politics!

skycop

Forgot that part.

I didn't forget it. I just agree with it. :)
I think it's cool that you judge the officer's actions fairly despite him being a brother.

I don't think it's cool you judge the bikers, despite their actions not being wrong in any way. Nothing wrong with being suspicious of them. But to say with certainty that they were up to no good... that's just not right.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

>"Those bikers" behavior is consistent with other groups who engage in the types of
>riding listed previously.

>The Go-Pro wearing pack of bikers normally aren't just out for a Sunday ride. . . . If
>they want to go out and ride wheelies, race, and ride recklessly I really don't care.
>They should just do it in a place that the only ones they will injure or inconvenience
>are themselves.

And to think you get mad when people stereotype cops based on the actions of a few.

And to think you get mad when people stereotype cops based on the actions of a few.

The funny thing is I don't really care, I just try to bring facts and context to emotionally misinformed things.
But in recent history facts really don't matter..............
This is supposedly getting mad?

If I see a large group of sportbikers, doing the things I've described, then call them out. It's not stereotyping, it's a factual representation.

And it will be good for the police. No longer will the bad apples feel safe to commit misdeeds. The new culture will be a strong feeling of not wanting to let your fellow officers down. And not to put them on the spot by needing to lie or turn the other way.

I've said this before, I started wearing a bodycam in 2009, I saw this coming. I'm not, nor have I ever been worried about me or the guys I work with. I'm worried about what others will attempt to say about what I or others did, or didn't do.

skycop

If I see a large group of sportbikers, doing the things I've described, then call them out. It's not stereotyping, it's a factual representation.

Except the things you described can not be seen.

Where in the video are they racing, block traffic, doing donuts, etc?

You're calling them out for what you think they would do, based on how they're dressed. If you want to do that, cool. But don't say you saw them doing something that you didn't.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

>The funny thing is I don't really care, I just try to bring facts and context to
>emotionally misinformed things.

Unless it's someone else. Then you bring the emotions and stereotypes out.

Sport bikers are a "Go-Pro wearing pack of bikers . . aren't just out for a Sunday ride." They must be doing "wheelies, race, and ride recklessly." Even though none of that was on the video.

>If I see a large group of sportbikers, doing the things I've described, then call them out.

You called these people out based on things you assumed they were doing, things you haven't seen. Again, that's exactly what people do to cops that gets you going. (Or perhaps more accurately, causes you to write long emotional posts on the subject even though you don't really care.)

skycop

The Go-Pro wearing pack of bikers normally aren't just out for a Sunday ride.

Well, at least he isn't talking about me;
I use Replay XD's on my bike.;)

But seriously, something triggered the actions of the cop, so I think assuming infractions occurred that were not in the video is a reasonable assumption.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.