1 1

Are you Americans crazy enough to put Donald Trump in office?

>"(Google Bataan Death March.)"
>You have a strange habit, and this is hardly the first time, of calling me wrong then making my
>case for me.

You said that we don't look down on the Japanese military during World War II as monsters - that was an example of why we DO look down on them. You only need to peruse any World War II news articles to see what we thought of them back then.

But today the Japanese and the Germans are our allies. We don't look down on either one. We do look down on Nazis, because of what they did - and we can make a distinction between Nazi commanders and modern German politicians. Likewise, we can make a distinction between Japanese army officers of World War II and today's Japanese government.

>When Germany talks about putting statues of Hitler back up and removing any negative history
>of Nazism from their texts and people in the US don't even notice then we'll be seeing each
>country's war atrocities being treated equally.

Germany has a long history of holocaust denial - the claims that the holocaust didn't happen, or that it was due to disease, or that the plan all along was to just ship the Jews out of the country. Fortunately this has remained a fringe rather than a mainstream belief (as historical revisionism has remained in Japan.)

I will grant your point in that both groups did things that we all should abhor. When I look at these things the lesson I take is not that Japanese, or Germans, or Belgians for that matter are capable of great violence. What it teaches me is that people can be taught to believe that outsiders are less than human and that doing violence to them can be justified. That means all people are capable of it. And that is why Trump's willingness to pander to groups on the hate spectrum is troubling to me.

It's not so much that Trump's supporters are hateful. Only a small percentage of them are. But all of them seem to be just fine overlooking and enabling his tacit support of white supremacy groups.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Well let's see. We have record low unemployment for blacks, women in the workplace, and more.

We have just set another record for treasury dollars. And we are seeing record unemployment.

We have a chance to see the Korean Peninsula nuclear free. And he has many other state department wins.

Some may call that crazy. But I call that putting the best man in the job!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

gowlerk

I will grant your point in that both groups did things that we all should abhor. When I look at these things the lesson I take is not that Japanese, or Germans, or Belgians for that matter are capable of great violence. What it teaches me is that people can be taught to believe that outsiders are less than human and that doing violence to them can be justified. That means all people are capable of it. And that is why Trump's willingness to pander to groups on the hate spectrum is troubling to me.
It's not so much that Trump's supporters are hateful. Only a small percentage of them are. But all of them seem to be just fine overlooking and enabling his tacit support of white supremacy groups.

I know I said I was done but can I just say "I agree. Absolutely."

rushmc

Well let's see. We have record low unemployment for blacks, women in the workplace, and more.

We have just set another record for treasury dollars. And we are seeing record unemployment.

We have a chance to see the Korean Peninsula nuclear free. And he has many other state department wins.

Deficit nears $600 billion in first half of 2018 I will make it easy for you thats $1,341 trillion on an annual basis with interest at 2%
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/382033-deficit-nears-600-billion-in-first-half-of-2018

Korea...are you attending his Nobel Peace prize event?

Phil1111

***Well let's see. We have record low unemployment for blacks, women in the workplace, and more.

Deficit nears $600 billion in first half of 2018 I will make it easy for you thats $1,341 trillion on an annual basis with interest at 2%
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/382033-deficit-nears-600-billion-in-first-half-of-2018

Record government intake of cash does not cover the bullshit you just posted

And Trump deserves the Nobel Peace Prize way more than Obama ever did at this point!

I still wonder who pays you. Who does pay you? . You got to be a paid shill by somebody.

Care to tell us who?
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******Well let's see. We have record low unemployment for blacks, women in the workplace, and more.

Record government intake of cash does not cover the bullshit trump spends money on! Thats why there are deficits!:S

Every once in a while you are right. kinda like a quarter landing and standing on its edge upright.

Phil1111

*********Well let's see. We have record low unemployment for blacks, women in the workplace, and more.

Record government intake of cash does not cover the bullshit trump spends money on! Thats why there are deficits!:S

Every once in a while you are right. kinda like a quarter landing and standing on its edge upright.

So my miss-post gives you a chance to ignore the facts. And you do it so well! Kudos to you
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>If Congress thought it would be a bad idea to move the embassy to Jerusalem, then
>they wouldn't have passed the bill. It was passed with an overwhelming majority.

Surely you don't think that 1) Congress is all that smart or 2) things that are passed are done so because they are 'good ideas?' It is quite common in this sort of thing to say you want to do something to placate your base, then do the opposite - either by voting against it, or by voting for it knowing the president will veto or stop implementation of it. That way you get the votes (by saying "I support this") but don't have to take on the responsibility of actually doing something foolish.

That's what happened in this case. Every president since 1995 - including Trump - has signed six month waivers to delay the move of the embassy, since it will cause a lot of grief to the peace process.

In the meantime public opinion has moved solidly against it, because there's a desire for peace in the Middle East, and moving the embassy works against that (as we have seen from recent events.)

There will NEVER be peace in the middle east, as long as there are Palestinians and other Muslims and Arabians that want the Jews out of Israel. Hell, Saudi Arabia has been an intermediary in the Israel/Palestine negotiations and they are getting tired of the Palestinians' crap. A few other countries in the region are also siding with Israel (gasp!)

>There will NEVER be peace in the middle east

Of course there will. This conflict (like all conflicts) is temporary.

Back in 1776 I am sure that the US considered that there would never be peace with Britain after that bloody war, and Britain viewed us as illegitimate for decades. We got over it.

In 1945 few people thought that Japan would become one of our strongest allies. After all, everyone knew that those Nips could not be trusted after what they pulled. We got over it. And today we watch the movie "Pearl Harbor" on Japanese big screen TV's and don't think anything of it.

And the Middle Eastern conflict has only been going on for 70 years. Plenty of wars have gone on for far longer; there have been wars that lasted ten times as long. Can this conflict end much sooner? Yes, and we should be making efforts in that direction. (Which is why provocations like this are foolish.)

The Middle East has been at war since the European and American powers decided to take away a country (Palestine) and insert a different one (Israel).

Some USians haven’t gotten over the unfairness of the civil war, and it ended 150 years ago.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If Congress thought it would be a bad idea to move the embassy to Jerusalem, then they wouldn't have passed the bill. It was passed with an overwhelming majority.

As for the rioting along the border fence, the blame for that lays squarely at Hamas' feet. They have been sending women and children as well as their men not just to protest, but also to breach the fence and get into Israel. Not to mention throwing rocks and trying to plant a bomb at the fence. IDF don't fuck around.

I have come to the conclusion that Palestinians are dumb as shit AND Hamas is taking advantage of it by leading them to a slaughter they hope will gain world wide condemnation of Israel. Unimpressed

This is all correct and we know that the area can be a powder keg, which is exactly why we hold off doing things that light the fuse.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

wmw999

The Middle East has been at war since the European and American powers decided to take away a country (Palestine) and insert a different one (Israel).

Some USians haven’t gotten over the unfairness of the civil war, and it ended 150 years ago.

Wendy P.

I almost ruined my newspaper this morning by spraying coffee all over it when I read the editorial headline.
"Embassy move has damaged the Peace Process"

Iago

******>If Congress thought it would be a bad idea to move the embassy to Jerusalem, then
>they wouldn't have passed the bill. It was passed with an overwhelming majority.

Surely you don't think that 1) Congress is all that smart or 2) things that are passed are done so because they are 'good ideas?' It is quite common in this sort of thing to say you want to do something to placate your base, then do the opposite - either by voting against it, or by voting for it knowing the president will veto or stop implementation of it. That way you get the votes (by saying "I support this") but don't have to take on the responsibility of actually doing something foolish.

That's what happened in this case. Every president since 1995 - including Trump - has signed six month waivers to delay the move of the embassy, since it will cause a lot of grief to the peace process.

In the meantime public opinion has moved solidly against it, because there's a desire for peace in the Middle East, and moving the embassy works against that (as we have seen from recent events.)

There will NEVER be peace in the middle east, as long as there are Palestinians and other Muslims and Arabians that want the Jews out of Israel. Hell, Saudi Arabia has been an intermediary in the Israel/Palestine negotiations and they are getting tired of the Palestinians' crap. A few other countries in the region are also siding with Israel (gasp!)

That's because everyone's been going about it the wrong way for decades. What they have to do is build some really expensive condos on the shore of the Med and the West Bank that they sell to wealthy Asians and Europeans and charge a really hefty tax every year for 'ownership rights' or some crap like that.

The proceeds from the condos and the yearly tax go into a general fund that builds all the Palestinians cookie-cutter little tract houses with satellite TV and air conditioning. Once a week or so a bunch of supply truck go through the neighborhood and toss off bags of rice, beans, falafel, maybe some goat meat and butter, etc.

So, we're sheltered, we're entertained, we've got nice cold AC, and plenty of food for the kitchen. Oh, it's time to go throw rocks and burn tires? Yeah, but, but, you know, it's Shark Week! Do we have to do it now? How about next Tuesday between Teen Mom and The Kardashians?

So there you go, satellite TV and good cold AC is the solution to peace in the Middle East.

A friend of mine lived on Frebus Street in Columbus which was called Freebase street for good reason. He had this great deal renting a huge house and the owner kept trying to sell it to him for next to nothing but being the only educated working white guy living between two warring gangs just didn't sound like a good way to stay alive. Rick's a psychologist in the Ohio Corrections System and kept running into his neighbors at work and work at home. He was in a bar one night and saw the crew who was building the new welfare condos a couple of blocks over. They got to talking and Rick said something about "wait, you're telling me that these will be rent free but you're adding a/c and cable?"
The guy said "hey, if it keeps them home" and Rick saw his point.

>Been a good week for Trump (yes I know, depends on your perspective):

>Trump and Kim Jong Un meeting scheduled in Singapore to hash out De-nuclearization
>of Korean peninsula

Well that didn't last long.

==============
North Korea threatens to cancel Donald Trump-Kim Jong Un meeting
David Jackson, USA TODAY
Published 3:03 p.m. ET May 15, 2018

WASHINGTON — North Korea is threatening to cancel President Trump's upcoming nuclear summit with Kim Jong Un because of joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises.

North Korea's Central News Agency also announced it had already canceled high-level talks with South Korean counterparts because of the drills it considers a prelude to invasion of the North.

Trump and Kim are scheduled to meet June 12 in Singapore as Trump seeks to pressure the North Koreans into giving up their nuclear weapons programs.
===============

DJL

That may actually be Trump's plan for a peaceful future in the West Bank.

If it works there, then maybe Ferguson Missouri.
There's another factor that used to really work well but few people seem to even remember it anymore since we sold out the middle class and their manufacturing jobs.

"I'd love to but I have to get up and go to work in the morning."

wmw999

Wendy P.

Israel...Egypt peace
Israel...Jordan peace
Israel...Lebanon peace

US...Japan peace and close allies.
US...Germany peace and close allies.

Iago

******That may actually be Trump's plan for a peaceful future in the West Bank.

If it works there, then maybe Ferguson Missouri.
There's another factor that used to really work well but few people seem to even remember it anymore since we sold out the middle class and their manufacturing jobs.

"I'd love to but I have to get up and go to work in the morning."

Heh, yeah but that was back when people actually cared about work.

Yeh but when I was growing up a big reason for finishing school and not getting into too much trouble was that it could really mess things up when I went to get my good job and home.
That's not such a good sell these days.
I think we've pretty much shot those goals in the ass for the upcoming generations.

rushmc

You must REALLY admire Obama, then, for the recovery from the Bush recession that he presided over, along with DECREASING deficits and INCREASING employment throughout his administration, along with providing health insurance for those who couldn't previously afford it. Not forgetting the absence of indictments of members of his administration.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Well let's see. We have record low unemployment for blacks, women in the workplace, and more.

You must REALLY admire Obama, then, for the recovery from the Bush recession that he presided over, along with DECREASING deficits and INCREASING employment throughout his administration, along with providing health insurance for those who couldn't previously afford it. Not forgetting the absence of indictments of members of his administration.

LOL

slowest weakest recovery ever recorded.

Thanks!

I needed a laugh!
Abraham Lincoln

You all realize that unemployment is at 3.9% right now, right? Underemployment is certainly a problem, but you make it sound like all these lazy kids (and blacks) don't want to work. The numbers say otherwise.

- Dan G

Phil1111

***The Middle East has been at war since the European and American powers decided to take away a country (Palestine) and insert a different one (Israel).

Wendy P.

Israel...Egypt peace
Israel...Jordan peace
Israel...Lebanon peace

US...Japan peace and close allies.
US...Germany peace and close allies.

Don't count on Palestines having peace with Jewish state Israel. They want the impossible.