RMK

Everything is better with guns

Hooknswoop

I suppose if the facts do not support your argument, go with the emotional argument. Cherry pick events instead of going with facts. Attack the person, not the facts. You should run for office, I hear Trump needs a VP and is taking applications.

Nice "cherry picking" :S on deadly gun shots:

Within last 10 days, 3 little kids:

June 17: Iowa, 4 y/o boy
June 23: Philadelphia, 4 y/o girl
June 26: New Jersey, 4 y/o boy

BTW: Last week, we had a very rare "event" here in Germany:

A heavy armed man entering a cinema, holding hostages for hours (abt. 15 persons), task force entered the scene, result: hostage-taker has been killed, nobody else. None of the hostages was armed.

That's a result I can live with.

Development in your country is appalling more and more.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I can make almost anything look evil by how I present it. Sensationalism. Swimming pools, cars, boats, white water rafting, whatever.

Looking at the facts, nothing the anti-gunners have presented (when you can get them to to present anything, which is a real challenge), would make any meaningful change that doesn't infringe on our constitutional rights.

My odds of even witnessing a mass shooting are extremely low. I am much more likely to die from fireworks or skydiving than a mass shooting.

Know anyone that has died or has gotten injured skydiving? From a car accident? I do. I don't know anyone that was killed or injured in a mass shooting.

http://gawker.com/you-will-not-die-in-a-mass-shooting-1746158444

"You Will Not Die in a Mass Shooting

Hamilton Nolan
12/04/15 9:09amFiled to: PERSPECTIVE

Some very visible bad things have happened. Dozens of people have been shot. Some people are very afraid. They don’t need to be.

Let us note up front that there are two competing dynamics here: first, the widespread idea in the public imagination that something very unlikely could happen; and second, the media’s exaggeration of this dynamic for the purpose of producing trend stories. If you want to know “How have the most recent mass shootings changed the fears of Americans in their day to day lives?” you’ll need to wait for a detailed national poll or three, and we don’t have those yet, what with the latest mass shooting being so recent. Therefore it must be understood that any narrative along the lines of “Americans are now terrified of being killed in mass shootings” is, at its core, more of a story that any competent journalist can weave with a handful of interviews than it is a statistically proven fact (yet).

That said, Americans are nothing if not susceptible to wild miscalculations based on what they see passingly in the news. “Fear in the Air, Americans Look Over Their Shoulders,” proclaims the New York Times today, in a story that is essentially a written-through roundup of the 5,000 voluntary responses the paper received when it asked people if they are now, you know, fearful of mass shootings. The surprising answer: people who decided to write in to the New York Times about their fear of mass shootings are, in fact, very scared of mass shootings.

A mother in Tampa has a “constant, grinding anxiety” of being killed in a mass shooting. A childless woman in Massachusetts says that when she has children she will home school them in order to save them from mass shootings. A man in Virginia “now [watches] movies exclusively at home,” so as not to be killed in a movie theater shooting. A woman in Texas makes note of the location of all exits every time she goes to a shopping mall, so that she can flee an imagined mass shooter.

What the New York Times is too polite to say is: this fear is delusional. Mass shootings are very scary. And very visible. But in all likelihood they are not going to happen to you. You are more likely to die in a mass shooting than to win the Powerball drawing, but the truth is that you are not going to do either. That does not stop people from buying lottery tickets, and it does not stop people from fearing being killed in spectacular acts of terrorism.

It is true that guns kill tens of thousands of Americans every year—the majority of them from suicide. Of the fraction that are homicides, only a vanishingly small fraction of those are high profile mass shootings of the type that make people fear to go to office parties, or to movie theaters. If gun violence itself is what you fear, the most prudent action you can take is to not have a gun in your home.

Here are the leading causes of death in America, with annual fatalities per the CDC:

Heart disease: 611,105
Cancer: 584,881
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 149,205
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 130,557
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,978
They are followed by Alzheimer’s, diabetes, pneumonia and flu, and kidney disease. Next is suicide, the only leading cause of death that might be considered violent.

In 2013, auto accidents killed almost 33,000 Americans—about the same number of people killed in all gun deaths, and many more people than died by homicide.

You are far more likely to die driving to the movie theater than you are to die by being killed by a mass shooter at the movie theater.

Life, in truth, is mundane. Things become big news stories because they are extraordinary. It is a mistake to imagine that your death will make national news. It probably will not. If you fear guns, don’t kill yourself. If you fear dying, eat healthier and exercise and don’t smoke.

You will not die in a tragic mass shooting. You will die of heart disease in your late 70s. Unless you keep worrying about being murdered all the time. Stress is a killer."

Derek V

And right along with that is the fact that "assault weapons" (military style semi-auto) kill a bit over 200 people per year.

Less than one percent (total killings by that particular type of weapon, no distinction as to how many were killed per incident) of gun deaths.

Edit to add: Although, I have to admit that the woman who is now making sure she knows where the emergency exits are is doing something smart. Mass shootings are extremely rare. Fires aren't. People die in a "public building fire" because the main exits jam up and people get trapped. After about the first minute, most of the people who escape do so through alternative exits (emergency exits, "back doors", windows, whatever).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

And right along with that is the fact that "assault weapons" (military style semi-auto) kill a bit over 200 people per year.

You forgot the mantra: "Guns DON'T kill people....."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***And right along with that is the fact that "assault weapons" (military style semi-auto) kill a bit over 200 people per year.

Naah. I don't play silly, sematic, "one-up" games on here.

Besides, guns don't kill people.

Bullets do. :)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

wolfriverjoe

******And right along with that is the fact that "assault weapons" (military style semi-auto) kill a bit over 200 people per year.

So now you contradict yourself.

wolfriverjoe

******And right along with that is the fact that "assault weapons" (military style semi-auto) kill a bit over 200 people per year.

It's actually the chemical reaction that happens inside the bullet.
Let's ban chemical reactions!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Statistics are great, right up until you become one.

As a nation we keep sticking our heads in the sand over gun violence. It's time to gather law enforcement, the NRA, Congress, Governors, prosecutors gun dealers, mental health professionals and others with something positive to add and hold a national summit on how to help prevent gun violence. We work to keep people alive and help prevent all of these...
They are followed by Alzheimer’s, diabetes, pneumonia and flu, and kidney disease. Next is suicide, the only leading cause of death that might be considered violent

But do nothing about gun violence.
Yet everyone lost their minds when "Ebola" and "Target bathrooms".

kallend

Well, I guess we need not worry about terrorism, then, since heart disease kills far more people.

Or it could be that your argument is just plain stupid.

Well, for the average citizen, no. There is really no need to worry about terrorism at all. There was a video bouncing around FB last week. It mentioned a poll that found that 51% of Americans were 'worried about being killed in a terrorist attack.' Yet, since 1970, there have been 1 in 3,500,000 (three and a half million) Americans killed by terrorists.

I'm fairly sure you understand the concept of "risk assessment".
A few simple questions are asked:

#1 - How high is the risk of an attack happening? It's very small.'

#2 - What is the potential damage from an attack? Depending on the attack, it can be fairly high, even very high.

#3 - What are the potential targets? Terrorists like publicity. So big, high profile, often government owned targets are at the top of the list.

So they increase security at the high profile targets.

Airline security appears to be tightened (it really isn't, but that's another subject).

Government buildings get big flowerpots out front, stronger glass in the front windows, metal detectors at the entrances, ect.

New York City (and a lot of other major metro areas) are big targets. So they get more money for the cops, radiation detectors (don't ride the New York subway right after a procedure that uses radio isotopes), lots of cameras, that sort of thing.

But there are a bazillion targets. How many have been attacked?

It wouldn't be all that hard. A small terror cell that could build it's own bombs (rather than need an FBI informant to build the bombs for them) and set them off in a manner that would cause great havoc. If they were smart enough to stay off cell phones and the internet, they could easily pull it off.*

After the Sept 11 attacks, my (then) wife was seriously worried about another attack (to the point of affecting her sleep). It took a lot of convincing for her to understand that we were not at risk. Not in a little town in NE Wisconsin. Unless they set of a nuke device in Minneapolis (prevailing winds would make fallout a problem), we were safe from just about any attack. Even if the terrs decided to attack a sleepy little town in the midwest (which would scare the crap out of the country something serious), they would have tens of thousands to choose from before they got to us.

So no. I think as ordinary citizens in ordinary cities and towns, we need not worry about terrorism. I don't.

*I know you live in Chicago, professor. How bad would it be if terrorists set off truck bombs at expressway/tollway interchanges. Say 80/94/294 (south end), 294/55, 294/290, 294/90 and 294/94 (north end). It would paralyze the city. And wreak havoc for a long time. Since 80, 90 and 94 are major east-west interstates, it would affect the entire northern part of the country. And it wouldn't be all that hard. Build a few "OKC" style truck bombs. Park them under the overpass with the flashers on, get in partner's car and drive off.

Sure, because they are sensational. They get the ratings. They get people's attention.

Again, the "We have to do something!" call to arms (see what I did there?). What do you want to do? What can be done that will reduce already smaller numbers to even smaller numbers without large impacts on the 2nd amendment?

The low hanging fruit is gone.

Derek V

turtlespeed

*********And right along with that is the fact that "assault weapons" (military style semi-auto) kill a bit over 200 people per year.

It's actually the chemical reaction that happens inside the bullet.
Let's ban chemical reactions!

In ordinary bullets there is no chemical reaction. In a tracer, api, apit, spotter, raufaus yes ordinary bullet no.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Hooknswoop

Sure, because they are sensational. They get the ratings. They get people's attention.

Again, the "We have to do something!" call to arms (see what I did there?). What do you want to do? What can be done that will reduce already smaller numbers to even smaller numbers without large impacts on the 2nd amendment?

The low hanging fruit is gone.

Derek V

Mass shootings don't get attention?
What do I want to do? Read my post again.

Hooknswoop

They are followed by Alzheimer’s, diabetes, pneumonia and flu, and kidney disease. Next is suicide, the only leading cause of death that might be considered violent.

In 2013, auto accidents killed almost 33,000 Americans—about the same number of people killed in all gun deaths,

The fact that something that you can't fix is worse than something you can fix therefore meaning you shouldn't try and fix the thing you can is fatuous at best. 'More people die in car crashes so we shoudn't ban guns!!!' - what utter tosh! If you have an opportunity to stop any form of violent death then you should take it. This is why millions have been spent on making cars safer, and therefore saving lives. Yet apparently it is impossible to do anything about stopping the plague of gun violence in America because people die of strokes so why bother. What utter, utter bollocks.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

CornishChris

In 2013, auto accidents killed almost 33,000 Americans—about the same number of people killed in all gun deaths,

The fact that something that you can't fix is worse than something you can fix therefore meaning you shouldn't try and fix the thing you can is fatuous at best. 'More people die in car crashes so we shoudn't ban guns!!!' - what utter tosh! If you have an opportunity to stop any form of violent death then you should take it. This is why millions have been spent on making cars safer, and therefore saving lives. Yet apparently it is impossible to do anything about stopping the plague of gun violence in America because people die of strokes so why bother. What utter, utter bollocks.

At my age I watch a lot of people I know die slowly from Agent Orange related diseases. Non-Vietnam veterans are laying and lingering with heart disease, strokes, cancer, etc. I prefer a death by sudden violence, betting on a motorcycle crash, but I want a fighting chance. Therefore, I carry a weapon.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

This should get everyone's attention. Spoiler warning, kallend heart attack potential high.

BHO: S&W

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/10-surprising-investments-of-millionaires-and-billionaires/ss-BBty2qO?ocid=spartanntp#image=3
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Yet he is invested in gun and ammunition companies through the Illinois General Assembly's pension plan, which he joined as a senator, Reuters reported.

So? Do you think individual pensioners get to pick the investment strategy of their plan?

- Dan G

Hooknswoop

I suppose if the facts do not support your argument, go with the emotional argument. Cherry pick events instead of going with facts. Attack the person, not the facts. You should run for office, I hear Trump needs a VP and is taking applications.

Derek V

Guns are an emotional issue with a political back drop.
They do not care about facts.

Now, they could do some good here if they wanted to work on a good cause.

http://www.naturalnews.com/038889_doctors_guns_statistics.html

Doctors kill 2,450% more Americans than all gun-related deaths combined

When death by is looked at homicides are ranked 15th in the US today when looking at CDC stats.
Homicides by gun would be an even smaller subset of the data.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

christelsabine

***I suppose if the facts do not support your argument, go with the emotional argument. Cherry pick events instead of going with facts. Attack the person, not the facts. You should run for office, I hear Trump needs a VP and is taking applications.

Nice "cherry picking" :S on deadly gun shots:

Within last 10 days, 3 little kids:

June 17: Iowa, 4 y/o boy
June 23: Philadelphia, 4 y/o girl
June 26: New Jersey, 4 y/o boy

BTW: Last week, we had a very rare "event" here in Germany:

A heavy armed man entering a cinema, holding hostages for hours (abt. 15 persons), task force entered the scene, result: hostage-taker has been killed, nobody else. None of the hostages was armed.

That's a result I can live with.

Development in your country is appalling more and more.

And medical mistakes killed many times more.
So what is your point?

Never mind
When is comes to guns the only point is emotional indignation

Facts be damned

BTW

The gun death rates continue to drop in the US despite the FACT that there are many more guns.

These guns are NOT killing anyone so I suppose that makes them defective in your world
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

It doesn't matter what I think. The point is that MSN Money thought it was an interesting point to include BHO in their article.

It was a clickbait article. That doesn't mean that it means anything. Only people who are completely ignorant of how group investment plans work would find it interesting at all.

Most people are completely ignorant of most things.

- Dan G

In every First World country people die of heart disease, stroke, cancer, accidents... The USA is not an outlier in any of these areas.

ONLY in shooting death and injury is the USA an outlier among First World nations.

ONLY in the USA do we not have any effective gun control laws.

Only in the USA do we have as many toddlers as terrorists shooting people.

Only in the USA does road rage end up in a shooting on a regular basis.

Only in the USA do domestic disputes regularly end up in shootings (like in this Texas case).

(And before the false dilemma crowd gets going, effective gun laws do not have to involve outright bans or confiscation).