normiss

NBC review of child gun deaths

I'll take some flak for this but I don't think we should place the lives of children as more important than the lives of adults. It'd be nice to see people stop shooting each other in general.

That said, I think we owe it to future generations to stop raising them as fun-free pussies. Political correctness, helicopter parenting, and the nanny state mindset are a bigger problem than barely a gross of dead kids.
cavete terrae.

>I'll take some flak for this but I don't think we should place the lives of children
>as more important than the lives of adults.

I agree. It's just a bit harder for the pro-excessive-force types to claim that a 5 year old was a dangerous and violent thug who probably did something that caused his death. A simple guideline that we shouldn't shoot innocent people would be a good start.

I sat not 30 feet away from Neil Tyson the other night and listened to him talk for 4 hours. He got on a topic of "Banning" things. He said we should not ban anything. Think about the first car that hit a pedestrian and if we had said ooh well lets ban cars. Or if the first medicines had made someone sick, and we said ooh well lets ban medicines. He said the way we need to go about it is with true unbiased research, implementation, and review of things.

He also got to talking about bias and the media and said that we are screwed as a society if we do not stop the cherry picking of information to give to the public. One it causes people to be closed minded, and the ones that are open minded who catch on to what they are doing will no longer trust the media, and when we stop sharing information and learning its over and another country will begin to take over which is happening.

One of his examples was the U.S. funding that got slashed for the Superconducting Super Collider. The US gutted the funding and well science will continue to be done the LHC was built at CERN and they were the ones to find the higgs as well as many other achievements.

We need detailed unbiased information and to quit all the hyperbole and clickbait media influencing the hivemind before anyone can begin to understand how bad of a problem this is.

He got on a topic of "Banning" things. He said we should not ban anything. Think about the first car that hit a pedestrian and if we had said ooh well lets ban cars.

That sounds all really nice, but at some point as a society you make decisions as to what is absolutely not acceptable and you try and "ban" that behavior by penalizing it.

billvon

>We need detailed unbiased information . . .

And yet the NRA continues to oppose CDC research into gun deaths. It's almost as if they don't want that detailed unbiased information available to the general public.

the CDC has a track record of not being unbiased on this topic before. Only a fool would want to let them try again
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***>We need detailed unbiased information . . .

And yet the NRA continues to oppose CDC research into gun deaths. It's almost as if they don't want that detailed unbiased information available to the general public.

the CDC has a track record of not being unbiased on this topic before. Only a fool would want to let them try again

Unbiased being defined as: anything that isn't pro-gun. Obviously.

>I sat not 30 feet away from Neil Tyson the other night and listened to him talk
>for 4 hours. He got on a topic of "Banning" things. He said we should not ban
>anything.

So theft, drunk driving, statutory rape, Sarin home-defense kits - should all be legal?

He said we should not ban anything. Think about the first car that hit a pedestrian and if we had said ooh well lets ban cars.

What about dangerously poor car designs? Do you want to remove all federal and state vehicle safety requirements?

Or if the first medicines had made someone sick, and we said ooh well lets ban medicines.

What about poorly designed or poorly produced medicines that kill people? Do you want to remove all FDA certifications for medicine?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

why does the discussion always immediately jump to 'banning'. Who the hell said anything about banning guns?

there are 1000 other things that we could do to improve the situation but we refuse to do ANY of it. not one single fucking thing. which makes America tacitly 'OK' with kids killing each other with easy to access guns.

fuck the ban. how about some control?

Tyson may be right, but here is what he missed, we REGULATE cars, we REGULATE medicine, we REGULATE a lot of things that put harm into people's lives or have the potential of harm into people's lives.

knock it off with the 'banning' of anything. we need to improve...

now are you willing to give up ANYTHING? even one simple iota of ANYTHING to make the situation better? I doubt it.

>Things not actions

So he's OK with allowing Sarin sales to homeowners for self defense (for example.) Or people driving cars with no brakes, lights, seatbelts or horns. (Cheaper that way.) Or liquor made with methanol.

Would be interesting, for at least a little while.

billvon

When the head of CDC sits on the board of directors of one of the largest anti-gun organizations, and says publicly that the research will be used to prove the need to control guns, then I'd be inclined to call that sort of 'research' "biased."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

research, implementation, and review of things.

All three of you are so fast to attack me you can't even read.

If it doesn't work you go back review and figure out what was wrong and fix that, not ban it all together. And no bill I don't think he would allow nukes for self defense either but not even some poor old coonasses from louisiana was dumb enough to ask a question like that and it was a open mike q and a so there was nothing but air and opportunity! The context was in thinking and using your brains instead of emotions to solve problems.

If you have any more questions about it feel free to ask him yourself I am off to a wedding dinner.
http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/contact

billvon

>Things not actions

So he's OK … people driving cars with no … seatbelts …

Excuse my trimming there, but I don't see a compelling reason these should be mandatory. Lights, horns and brakes are for the safety of others as much as anything. If you want to make a choice involving your own body and you're an adult, so be it. No helmet on a bike, no seatbelt in the car, etc should not be concerns of the government.
cavete terrae.

billvon

Shirley, you jest.