normiss

Politicians and religion

DanG

People see these atrocities and they naturally want to find someone or something to blame - which is usually something they don't like nor understand - like guns or religion.

...or atheists.

or CrW Dawgs

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

People see these atrocities and they naturally want to find someone or something to blame - which is usually something they don't like nor understand - like guns or religion.

...or atheists.

or CrW Dawgs

Video guys are evil.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Coreeece

Correct - contrary to popular atheistic belief, evil would exist even without religion.

That is a "popular atheist belief" only in your mind.

Ya, well I sure hope so...some people here make me wonder sometimes when they parrot absent-minded quotes about how religion is the only thing that can make good people do evil things, or how religion is the cause of more war than any other reason and that somehow the world would be a better place if it would just go away...blah blah blah.

Blaming somebody or something else and turning it into a heated political issue is much more satisfying than merely accepting human nature for what it is.

Personally... I think with the separation of church and state that ANY politician who wears their religion on their sleeve should be disqualified from any further government service.

You can have your own deeply held belief system... but keep it to yourself. We are NOT living in a Theocracy.... and god help the people of this country if it ever devolves into that quagmire. Our founding fathers knew this..... and tried to prevent anything similar to the Church of England... or the King (or queen) as the head of the church as they had to live under. They had seen and were very close to the sectarian violence visited on the British Isles over the preceding couple of centuries and wished to never be subject to that ever again.

Amazon

Personally... I think with the separation of church and state that ANY politician who wears their religion on their sleeve should be disqualified from any further government service.

that's really way over the top

it's like judges - I don't have an issue with someone having beliefs, positions, etc. Nor even if they are forthright and public about them.

But, they have to have DEMONSTRATED, that they can do the job objectively without letting it color their decisions.

That said - I understand your reluctance since it seems that politicians can't help but be churchy (or anti-churchy) in a non-biased way in their policy. Judges can't seem to adjudicate objectively when they have strong social and political positions.

I think we need to also keep congress critters OFF of selection and approval committees when they bring in 'litmus' tests for things that should be non-factors in a job. It's a clear indication that they are hunting for a non-appropriate bias. That's wrong too.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Amazon

You can have your own deeply held belief system... but keep it to yourself. We are NOT living in a Theocracy.... and god help the people of this country if it ever devolves into that quagmire. Our founding fathers knew this..... and tried to prevent anything similar to the Church of England... or the King (or queen) as the head of the church as they had to live under. They had seen and were very close to the sectarian violence visited on the British Isles over the preceding couple of centuries and wished to never be subject to that ever again.

About 75% of the Christians in the U.S. do not vote. http://www.providenceforum.org/yourvotematters

If we can convince those 75% to vote in 2016 we will control the election. Cruz, Carson and Trump are the top candidates now.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

About 75% of the Christians in the U.S. do not vote. http://www.providenceforum.org/yourvotematters

If we can convince those 75% to vote in 2016 we will control the election. Cruz, Carson and Trump are the top candidates now.

Again... this is not and never should be a theocracy... every time it has been tried it has been HELL on Earth... and those living under it have suffered.

Amazon

Again... this is not and never should be a theocracy... every time it has been tried it has been HELL on Earth... and those living under it have suffered.

There are those under any kind of government eventually suffer.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Amazon

I am not talking theocracy. That will only happen when Jesus returns.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Then why do all the idiots who wear their religion on their sleeves keep trying to legislate a theocracy into existence. They should know that Freedom of Religion also includes Freedom FROM Religion... for those who do not follow your particular brand of rolling holies.

tkhayes

If there were no religion, good people would do good things and evil people would do evil things.

But it takes religion to get good people to do evil things.

Popular communicable mental malware in the form of religion is one very effective way of achieving this goal, but military organizations have, through the years, been able to get nice kids to do unspeakable things without bringing invisible friends into the mix.

Mechanisms for doing so are well documented, and there are millions of examples to support the principle.

Using religious fervor to achieve this purpose is simply cutting to the chase. "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" and all that.

BSBD,

Winsor

RonD1120

You realize that, according to the surviving, heavily redacted and belated accounts of his first go-around, most people were not on board with any of the claims made about who and what he was at the time he took mortal form.

Why, then, do you think that he would find any greater acceptance upon his return if he demonstrated the exact same set of criteria as he did before?

For a couple of thousand years people have been on the edge of their seats, assuming that the "be right back!" message would be fulfilled. In every generation there has been one or more groups who 'knew' that the prophecy was going to be fulfilled, some of which disbanded when it turned out their guesses needed work, and some of which morphed from cult into sect (Seventh Day Adventists, et al.).

You might be right - in the same sense that there is a finite likelihood that the morning paper will undergo a spontaneous nuclear chain reaction and evaporate everything within a mile radius.

This is to say 'you might be right' in a theoretical sense, but the practical reality is that the possibility is so vanishingly small that it rounds off to zero to any significant (and most insignificant) digits.

Put another way: 'bullshit.'

BSBD,

Winsor

winsor

You realize that, according to the surviving, heavily redacted and belated accounts of his first go-around, most people were not on board with any of the claims made about who and what he was at the time he took mortal form.

If he has heard this before, he willingly chose not to realize it. Because he just knows you're so very wrong and going to hell for it.

This is to say 'you might be right' in a theoretical sense, but the practical reality is that the possibility is so vanishingly small that it rounds off to zero to any significant (and most insignificant) digits.

:D awesome.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

winsor

Why, then, do you think that he would find any greater acceptance upon his return if he demonstrated the exact same set of criteria as he did before?

For a couple of thousand years people have been on the edge of their seats, assuming that the "be right back!" message would be fulfilled. In every generation there has been one or more groups who 'knew' that the prophecy was going to be fulfilled, some of which disbanded when it turned out their guesses needed work, and some of which morphed from cult into sect (Seventh Day Adventists, et al.).

You might be right - in the same sense that there is a finite likelihood that the morning paper will undergo a spontaneous nuclear chain reaction and evaporate everything within a mile radius.

BSBD,

Winsor

I can't argue with you. The eschatological picture includes the binding of Satan and his demons for the one thousand year period of Christ's theocratic rule. It is something good to hope for.

What do you offer in the way of hope for the future world?

Amazon

Then why do all the idiots who wear their religion on their sleeves keep trying to legislate a theocracy into existence. They should know that Freedom of Religion also includes Freedom FROM Religion... for those who do not follow your particular brand of rolling holies.

I have never heard of such a condition outside of the SC.

why do we need 'hope'? we've survived tens of thousands of years already and most likely tens of thousands of years more.

not sure what the 'hope' buys any of us. Sure eevryone wants a better world when asked, but it most certainly does not come from fairy tales and 'hope'.

Hope is not a management strategy that I am aware of.

RonD1120

I have never heard of such a condition outside of the SC.

You need to pay closer attention then because almost all of the social platform of the GOP is soundly grounded in THE BIBLE...

From birth control to abortion.... or the Myriad other ways of trying to control women in this society and wanting them to conform to a bronze age patriarchal ethos....
Hobby lobby come to mind for you???

How about all the fights the gays have had just trying to get the same right to marry the one they love as the rest of us????

How many people here in SC spout the bullshit that SAUL of TARSUS taught not what his lord taught... he was very well founded in the Jewish form of SHARIA.

Perhaps we need to start with that and stone all the sinners who had lobster and shrimp this weekend....
Or can we just publicy stone all the politicians who are ADULTERERS and are on their second or third marriage . How about the one who like trophy bimbo's.. can we stone him????

Morality and theocracy are different concepts in my way of thinking. The concept of sin seems to cover the expression of religious paranoia here in the SC.

RonD1120

Morality and theocracy are different concepts in my way of thinking. The concept of sin seems to cover the expression of religious paranoia here in the SC.

Unless you missed it a large part of your King James Version deals with all that 17th century Morality. BUT what was good for the masses... did not apply to the Court. But they certainly used it to great effect in cleansing other sects of Christianity with a whole two centuries of persecution of anyone who did not worship in the accepted manner. What was the death toll from the sectarian violence that brought so many of our ancestors to flee across the ocean???

Those who refuse to learn from history.... are doomed to relive it.

My message is the sharing of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My life changed significantly for the better when I accepted the gift of salvation.

What do you offer in the way of hope for the future world?

My hope comes from inside. You have chosen a different way of finding hope for yourself. Neither of us offers anything at all to the world as a whole.

Your theology offers hope only to those who follow your false prophet. It condemns all others. It is a shameful way to look at the world, and it leads you to suppose that your eventual outcome will be somehow better than mine and others.

Fortunately for you, God loves all equally and although you have chosen to follow the path of evil, you are still seen to be good in the eyes of the true creator.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

RonD1120

My message is the sharing of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My life changed significantly for the better when I accepted the gift of salvation.

And when you are not "raptured" outta here and have to face the tribulation with everyone else??

Self fulfilling prophesy has a habit of visiting a lot of blowback to the good people in society.

RonD1120

My current thinking is that Christians may well experience the Tribulation and rapture afterwards.

Forgiveness of sin comes from within yourself. Jesus is but one path people use to get there. No one, including God, will judge you harsher than you will judge yourself. When the time of accounting comes you will be the one adding the sums for yourself. There is no escaping that fact. It is good that you found your path through Christ. It is not so good that you believe it is the only path.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.