rushmc

Oh oh. Hillary Campaign has more problems coming?

kallend

She has an alphabet soup of real troubles; FBI, IG, DOJ and none of them have anything to do with the "vast right wing conspiracy".

My $100 says not a single criminal charge ever comes out of any of these agencies regarding anything to do with the Clintons.

Not ever. So if you are so correct, cough up your hundred dollar handshake and we will see

A low bar my friend. Nixon was never charged with a crime.

Only because he received a pre-emptive pardon. You don't need a pardon if you've not committed a crime.

www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=4696

Do you mean like John Deutch?

kallend

Bogus comparison.

Explain why a pardon is NEEDED if you've not done anything that needs pardoning.

Ford's explanation makes sense.

His contention was that we had too much on our plate to screw around with a long, dragged-out back-and-forth process related to what Tricky Dick may or may not have done. Since we simply could not afford the distraction, the most effective approach was to issue a pardon and move on.

Though Ford was accused of issuing a pardon as quid pro quo for ascending to the presidency, there is little to suggest that this is the case.

William Safire wrote a piece that described Nixon variously as a staunch ally, a bitter foe, a noble statesman and a profane backroom dealmaker. I worked for the sonofabitch (Nixon), and cheered when he stepped down. I nevertheless accept Safire's judgment that, while Nixon fully earned the dislike he engendered, he brought much to the office and did a lot of good.

It was a common practice in days of yore for the new king to pardon anyone who may have opposed him previously, once they had sworn fealty, in order to let bygones be bygones and work toward future goals.

As an aside, a double pardon by Henry Tudor was given as evidence that Henry, not Richard, had authored the demise of Richard's nephews and blamed Richard. According to Josephine Tey in "The Daughter of Time," the nephews were a threat to Henry's power, but their well-being was pivotal to Richard's hold on the throne. The last time they were seen was before Richard's death.

In any event, a blanket pardon has historically been used to put to rest rancor that is counterproductive to progress. It makes sense that this was Ford's purpose, as he stated,

BSBD,

Winsor

Ford's explanation makes sense.

If you close one eye and squint.

Occams Razor says, those with power look after their own. Cops cover up for cops. Politicians cover up for politicians. You can justify it any way you want, but it's croneyism pure and simple.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I was just as angry as the next young liberal when Ford pardoned Nixon. But in the long run, we'd already had a long drawn-out look into dirty politics, virtually everyone thought he was guilty, he'd resigned and so had his original VP, making his administration a part of the past.

I'm not sure we would have accomplished anything besides keeping people glued to the TV even longer than they had been. And we still got to watch "All the President's Men."

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I was just as angry as the next young liberal when Ford pardoned Nixon. But in the long run, we'd already had a long drawn-out look into dirty politics, virtually everyone thought he was guilty, he'd resigned and so had his original VP, making his administration a part of the past.

So?

Should Bernie Madoff have been able to avoid jail by resigning and liquidating his company?

Should OJ have avoided prosecution because everyone already thought he was guilty?

I'm not sure we would have accomplished anything

You'd have prosecuted a criminal. The same way it works for everybody else.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

brenthutch

Are you saying that the Huma Abiden situation is analogous to that of G. Gordon Liddy?

How many US presidents have received pre-emptive pardons upon resigning in disgrace?

To boast that "even Nixon wasn't charged" is just plain stupid. There is no point in charging someone who has already been pardoned.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Are you saying that the Huma Abiden situation is analogous to that of G. Gordon Liddy?

How many US presidents have received pre-emptive pardons upon resigning in disgrace?

To boast that "even Nixon wasn't charged" is just plain stupid. There is no point in charging someone who has already been pardoned.

So he wasn't charged then, kinda like you live in the seedy parts of Chicago.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******Are you saying that the Huma Abiden situation is analogous to that of G. Gordon Liddy?

So he wasn't charged then <+ stupid irrelevant stuff>

Not being charged is hardly something to BOAST about if you have to receive a pardon to avoid the charges.

How many other US presidents have received pre-emptive pardons so they wouldn't be charged with crimes?

kallend

*********Are you saying that the Huma Abiden situation is analogous to that of G. Gordon Liddy?

Not being charged is hardly something to BOAST about if you have to receive a pardon to avoid the charges.

How many other US presidents have received pre-emptive pardons so they wouldn't be charged with crimes?

Clinton would have.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

************Are you saying that the Huma Abiden situation is analogous to that of G. Gordon Liddy?

Clinton would have.

Did he or didn't he?

kallend

***************Are you saying that the Huma Abiden situation is analogous to that of G. Gordon Liddy?

Clinton would have.

Did he or didn't he?

If he would have had to leave office because of it, you know he would have.

Or, just as much as Nixon was charged.

turtlespeed

******************Are you saying that the Huma Abiden situation is analogous to that of G. Gordon Liddy?

Clinton would have.

Did he or didn't he?

If he would have had to leave office because of it, you know he would have.

So you don't actually have anything and you're weaseling.

turtlespeed

If he would have...

... He didn't:S

Did Nixon get charged?

Nixon was pre-emptively pardoned so he wouldn't be charged. Unlike ANY other president.

Some other people who weren't charged with anything:

Adam Lanza
Seung-Hui Cho
Vester Flanagan aka William Bryce
Steven Kazmierczak

kallend

If he would have...

... He didn't:S

Did Nixon get charged?

Nixon was pre-emptively pardoned so he wouldn't be charged. Unlike ANY other president.

Some other people who weren't charged with anything:

Adam Lanza
Seung-Hui Cho
Vester Flanagan aka William Bryce
Steven Kazmierczak

So, he wasn't charged then.

Anvilbrother

***You don't charge someone with a crime they did not commit.
:S

Wait are you saying Nixon was innocent?

After serving with him as my commander in chief AND having voted for him.....I think he ended up right where he belonged

Amazon

******You don't charge someone with a crime they did not commit.

Wait are you saying Nixon was innocent?

After serving with him as my commander in chief AND having voted for him.....I think he ended up right where he belonged
In the grave?:o

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

normiss

You don't charge someone with a crime they did not commit.

It happened to TM!!!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***You don't charge someone with a crime they did not commit.

It happened to TM!!!

Tandem master?

turtlespeed

******You don't charge someone with a crime they did not commit.

It happened to TM!!!

Ya
I meant to say in his case
Too much going on this morning

Zimmerman was charged with a crime he did not commit

Also the cop in MO

Point being, it is all about the politics, not the law
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln