2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

billvon

>But "why do you need that" is patronizing and not the way our law is supposed to work.
J
?? Every law out there is a balance between people's needs and the rights of other people to avoid injury or death.

You can't own highly enriched uranium yourself because 1) it can be used to make nuclear weapons and that is VERY dangerous to other people and 2) 99.999% of people don't need it. So it's outlawed.

You CAN own diesel fuel because, although it can (and has been) used to make ANFO bombs that kill hundreds, people need it for their tractors, trucks and cars.

For years you couldn't buy or own Krytron tubes, because they were used for nuclear weapon triggers. And no one really needed them. But you could buy triodes or pentodes (even though they were also usable in nuclear weapons) because people needed them for their TV's and radios.

There's always a balance.

And none of this has anything to do with what I'm talking about.

>And none of this has anything to do with what I'm talking about.

It is an explanation of why "why do you need that" is a consideration inherent in every law we pass, which is what your previous post was about.

But if you didn't mean that, then what did you really mean?

gowlerk

There actually are no "anti AR-15 nuts". There are a bunch of people who want to limit access to rifles with large magazines and close quarter fighting designs. Just because they don't know the details of the different models does not make them nuts.

Gun nuts on the other hand, now those are for real.

So what other semi-automatic large magazine weapons are you going after?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

All of them. Or to be more accurate, their large magazines. If I were writing the rules, I would hire an expert to help me sort some of it out. AR type rifles would not be banned, but restricted. Large magazines would be banned, with very large penalties for non compliance.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

All of them. Or to be more accurate, their large magazines. If I were writing the rules, I would hire an expert to help me sort some of it out. AR type rifles would not be banned, but restricted. Large magazines would be banned, with very large penalties for non compliance.

So my 25 year old 9mm Smith & Wesson pistol with a 17 round magazine would be in your sights?
Abraham Lincoln

The magazine would be illegal. 25 yo would not exempt it.

Edit, I would allow you to keep it if you modified the magazine to limit it to five loads.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Someone, anyone, please tell me about when your high capacity magazine saved your ass in civilian life. If you own an AR-15 please tell me how, where or when you expect to use the thing.

Look, unlike some gun grabbers who want a lot more regulation-and I am and do-I'm a gun guy. I get it. But only a tool hunts with a .223 and only a loser needs an automatic to kill critters. Seriously, I hunted ducks for years with a single shot. I know for a fact my deer and elk score is way better than most and it was all with a lever action Savage .300 or a bolt action something including a Springfield in 30-40 Krag.

In my mind war looking weapons and high capacity mags are pointless. Again, someone, anyone, get me right if I'm wrong.

gowlerk

Edit, I would allow you to keep it if you modified the magazine to limit it to five loads.

One thing's for sure. I'm sure as fuck glad you ain't got a goddamn thing to say about what happens in our country. Life is good!
Abraham Lincoln

JoeWeber

***The magazine would be illegal. 25 yo would not exempt it.

Someone, anyone, please tell me about when your high capacity magazine saved your ass in civilian life. If you own an AR-15 please tell me how, where or when you expect to use the thing.

Look, unlike some gun grabbers who want a lot more regulation-and I am and do-I'm a gun guy. I get it. But only a tool hunts with a .223 and only a loser needs an automatic to kill critters. Seriously, I hunted ducks for years with a single shot. I know for a fact my deer and elk score is way better than most and it was all with a lever action Savage .300 or a bolt action something including a Springfield in 30-40 Krag.

In my mind war looking weapons and high capacity mags are pointless. Again, someone, anyone, get me right if I'm wrong.

The stories are out there. There's one where a woman saved her family with an AR-15 fired more than 11 shots at home Invaders. It just didn't go posted in the media because it doesn't fit the narrative. And you won't see any of the anti-gunners posted here because it doesn't fit their narrative.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******The magazine would be illegal. 25 yo would not exempt it.

The stories are out there. There's one where a woman saved her family with an AR-15 fired more than 11 shots at home Invaders. It just didn't go posted in the media because it doesn't fit the narrative. And you won't see any of the anti-gunners posted here because it doesn't fit their narrative.

I said someone not sometroll. Until you learn the courteous art of substantiating your assertions with attributions, bug off.

Conflict will always exist when there is a lack of empathic understanding. People make decisions based on emotion, even if they used statistics to justify their feelings.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

gowlerk

Most handguns shoot a lower velocity bullet than rifles. This is an issue to be addressed both in deterring mass shootings and gun crime. Several of the mass shootings would have been much less severe if a handgun were used instead of a rifle.

9mm
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

There are cases of people using AR15's for self defense, that doesn't speak to how that's a preferable weapon to a hand gun. My friends who are hard core 2A all say they would never go for the AR over a handgun in a home defense situation.

OR...............http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-woman-stops-intruder-with-medieval-combat-skills-sword-20151010-story.html
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

There are cases of people using AR15's for self defense, that doesn't speak to how that's a preferable weapon to a hand gun. My friends who are hard core 2A all say they would never go for the AR over a handgun in a home defense situation.

OR...............http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-woman-stops-intruder-with-medieval-combat-skills-sword-20151010-story.html

In the highly unlikely event that I ever feel the need of a firearm for home defense, it will be a 12 gauge shotgun.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

RonD1120

Conflict will always exist when there is a lack of empathic understanding. People make decisions based on emotion, even if they used statistics to justify their feelings.

Now that's a fine dollop of woo-woo. How about conflict will always exist when the other motherfucker refuses to agree?

JoeWeber

***Conflict will always exist when there is a lack of empathic understanding. People make decisions based on emotion, even if they used statistics to justify their feelings.

Now that's a fine dollop of woo-woo. How about conflict will always exist when the other motherfucker refuses to agree?

Referring to your worthy opponent as a motherfucker is probably not the best way to begin dialogue. The exception is union/management negotiations.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

******Conflict will always exist when there is a lack of empathic understanding. People make decisions based on emotion, even if they used statistics to justify their feelings.

Referring to your worthy opponent as a motherfucker is probably not the best way to begin dialogue. The exception is union/management negotiations.

He's not a motherfucker until he refuses to agree. Until then he's just a chump.

kallend

***There are cases of people using AR15's for self defense, that doesn't speak to how that's a preferable weapon to a hand gun. My friends who are hard core 2A all say they would never go for the AR over a handgun in a home defense situation.

In the highly unlikely event that I ever feel the need of a firearm for home defense, it will be a 12 gauge shotgun.

Couldn't agree more. You don't have to aim particularly accurately, there's less chance of ammunition overpenetrating and, in the case of a pump action, just the sound of racking the slide attracts people's undivided attention.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

rifleman

******There are cases of people using AR15's for self defense, that doesn't speak to how that's a preferable weapon to a hand gun. My friends who are hard core 2A all say they would never go for the AR over a handgun in a home defense situation.

Couldn't agree more. You don't have to aim particularly accurately, there's less chance of ammunition overpenetrating and, in the case of a pump action, just the sound of racking the slide attracts people's undivided attention.

I've mentioned it here before, but I upgraded to a Beretta 1301 tactical for the home. Nothing say's do not come through the door like the sound of a 12 guage receiver closing with with a loud snap.

rifleman

******There are cases of people using AR15's for self defense, that doesn't speak to how that's a preferable weapon to a hand gun. My friends who are hard core 2A all say they would never go for the AR over a handgun in a home defense situation.

Bolding mine.

I hope you don't really believe that.
Or maybe I do.

Inside a typical dwelling, a shotgun pattern opens up only an inch or two.
The myth that a shotgun has to "only be pointed in the general direction" of the target is a load of garbage.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

*********There are cases of people using AR15's for self defense, that doesn't speak to how that's a preferable weapon to a hand gun. My friends who are hard core 2A all say they would never go for the AR over a handgun in a home defense situation.

Bolding mine.

Or maybe I do.

The myth that a shotgun has to "only be pointed in the general direction" of the target is a load of garbage.

But it's so hard to find a blunderbuss these days, and Claymore mines are highly restricted and in the dark it might be hard to read the label on the front.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

wolfriverjoe

*********There are cases of people using AR15's for self defense, that doesn't speak to how that's a preferable weapon to a hand gun. My friends who are hard core 2A all say they would never go for the AR over a handgun in a home defense situation.

Bolding mine.

Or maybe I do.

You are mostly right. That's why I switched from a Wingmaster with a 28" Barrel and a Modified Choke to an Automatic with a 20" Barrel and a Cylinder Bore . You still need to aim if for no other reason then so you don't shoot yourself. And if you don't you just sent 9 .32 caliber pieces of buckshot down the hallway with 9 more close behind. I reckon if it's the middle of the night and I'm slightly befuddled that'll cover more than an inch or two.

Well, to be clear, I'm not disparaging a shotgun as a weapon of choice in a interior, residential setting.

They do have some attractive characteristics.

But the idea that the shooter "doesn't have to aim particularly accurately", especially at closer ranges, is...

Bullshit.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi rifleman,

just the sound of racking the slide attracts people's undivided attention.

My son is a criminal defense attorney. He & I were talking about home protection weapons a year or so ago. He said that every criminal there is, stops dead in their tracks when they hear that noise. And they have no doubt as to what it is.

:o

Jerry Baumchen