2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

And just how is that a mischaracterization of what you said?

Why do people like you have so much trouble having an honest conversation about a topic?

You wouldn't know an honest conversation if it bit you on the ass. Take a stroll through http://www.gunpolicy.org and when you are ready to have an 'honest' conversation about guns let me know.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Words are cheap.

The fact is no real action is taken to try and prevent school shootings. People are too worried that it may impact their ability to walk around with guns. It’s so bad that people will declare school shootings fake news.

Edited to add: I’ll bet you both you and Rush has no clue there had been 11 school shootings, nor would you be able to tel where they were without googling it. So spare me the fake caring.

rushmc

Sorry, it's not getting worse. It's just getting better report it.

Great, so this many school shootings are the norm. That makes it so much better.

Yet and another emotional mischaracterization of what I said.

Why do people like you have so much trouble having an honest conversation about a topic?

It's always too soon for a conversation about shootings. Trump told us as much.

We can only have immediate conversations if Islamic extremists (real or imagined) are in the news.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

SkyDekker

Words are cheap.

The fact is no real action is taken to try and prevent school shootings. People are too worried that it may impact their ability to walk around with guns. It’s so bad that people will declare school shootings fake news.

Edited to add: I’ll bet you both you and Rush has no clue there had been 11 school shootings, nor would you be able to tel where they were without googling it. So spare me the fake caring.

And you can spare us your crocodile tears
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

After Sandy Hook, I'd say it was the lack of reaction in any form that was a cheap shot to children.
Our complete lack of any action in any efforts to reduce mass murders, and specifically the mass murder of defenseless school children that were the cheap shots at the expense of dead children.
Seriously and factually, we, as a nation, don't care about innocent people being mass murdered.
Just so long as everyone has access to guns, everything else that happens because of that is just a normal every day American activity.

It's beyond repulsively disgusting.

SkyDekker

Words are cheap.

You have no clue what I know or don't know. But here's a question I've asked before and as far as I can tell got no response at all.
Assume that the Second Amendment gets revoked, gone, and the NRA disbands. You can create any law you want. So, how do you end these shootings?

How about we start at a much more logical starting point of keeping the amendment?
Because that's where we need to start.
I laugh at this false flag every time it's raised.

I'd like to start with WHOEVER allows a minor access to a weapon that is subsequently used in a crime to pay a severe penalty for that crime as well as not securing the weapon. 10-20 years in the big house would be a good start.
Every. Single. Time.

One thing that becomes obvious is that a lot of people have no idea how prevalent guns are in the US. The idea that some relative has to give a kid a gun for him to have one doesn't fly. As far as laws go, the FBI puts the number of stolen guns each year at between 300,000 and half a million. If it becomes difficult for a kid to sneak his parent's handgun out of the house he'll just buy an illegal one.
How do you regulate who gets one of those?

normiss

...I'd like to start with WHOEVER allows a minor access to a weapon that is subsequently used in a crime to pay a severe penalty for that crime as well as not securing the weapon. 10-20 years in the big house would be a good start.
Every. Single. Time.

Well, it's already a crime to "allow access" in many places.

Link:http://leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committees/LAW/Documents/SummaryOfStateChildAccessPreventionLaws.pdf

But it's often not prosecuted.

And how far are we going to require gun owners to go?

Would locked in a house, but not otherwise secured be prosecuted if the house was broken into?
Would locked in a strong box be adequate, if the box was stolen and broken into?
Would a heavy-duty safe be adequate? What if someone in the household figured out (guessed or located) the combination?

And just minors? How about adults?
There's a campaign going on in the Minneapolis/St Paul area about not leaving guns in unlocked cars because stupid people are doing this and finding that the guns get stolen. I was going to post a link, but can't find one. Heard it on the radio the last time I was through that area.

Most of the 'mass shooters' are adults. Most use guns purchased through FFL gun dealers. Background check and everything.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Assume that the Second Amendment gets revoked, gone, and the NRA disbands. You can create any law you want. So, how do you end these shootings?

That would mostly leave the laws up to the states wouldn't it? In any case I would start with restricting the types of weapons available and a buy back program. Strong controls on carrying, and large magazines. Strong laws on proper locked storage, and keeping ammo stored separately.

You can not undo instantly what took decades to be done. But that is not an excuse for just carrying on. And of course the 2nd is yours to keep. So my answer only applies to the hypothetical situation you asked about. Don't start in on me about how it could never work. I know that.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Bob_Church

One thing that becomes obvious is that a lot of people have no idea how prevalent guns are in the US. The idea that some relative has to give a kid a gun for him to have one doesn't fly. As far as laws go, the FBI puts the number of stolen guns each year at between 300,000 and half a million. If it becomes difficult for a kid to sneak his parent's handgun out of the house he'll just buy an illegal one.
How do you regulate who gets one of those?

Rest of the world has it figured out. Americans simply don't want to make the sacrifices, specially not since it wouldn't really start making a difference for decades.

***One thing that becomes obvious is that a lot of people have no idea how prevalent guns are in the US. The idea that some relative has to give a kid a gun for him to have one doesn't fly. As far as laws go, the FBI puts the number of stolen guns each year at between 300,000 and half a million. If it becomes difficult for a kid to sneak his parent's handgun out of the house he'll just buy an illegal one.
How do you regulate who gets one of those?[/quote

Stolen guns actually don't make up a large portion of the illegally used sector. Source Most are purchased legally through strawman buyers or shady FFLs.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

gowlerk

That would mostly leave the laws up to the states wouldn't it? In any case I would start with restricting the types of weapons available and a buy back program. Strong controls on carrying, and large magazines. Strong laws on proper locked storage, and keeping ammo stored separately.

You can not undo instantly what took decades to be done. But that is not an excuse for just carrying on. And of course the 2nd is yours to keep. So my answer only applies to the hypothetical situation you asked about. Don't start in on me about how it could never work. I know that.

And your suggestions would not stop any crime that has been committed in the last 2 years that we've talked about on this form
Abraham Lincoln

And your suggestions would not stop any crime that has been committed in the last 2 years that we've talked about on this form

That's both unknowable and irrelevant. The question was about preventing future events. Like I said, don't start getting all over me about "it won't work". It's about a hypothetical situation where America becomes more civilized and loses a little of it's frontier mentality.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

That's both unknowable and irrelevant. The question was about preventing future events. Like I said, don't start getting all over me about "it won't work". It's about a hypothetical situation where America becomes more civilized and loses a little of it's frontier mentality.

And yet you spew your opinions like they're facts. Oh the irony...
Abraham Lincoln

gowlerk

Gun violence costs the US $230 Billion a year:
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/true-cost-of-gun-violence-in-america/. There are an estimated 300 million guns in the US.

Which equates a cost of $766 for every single gun in the US. Not gun owners, thats per gun. So a gun buyback program would take care of almost every gun excepting high class collectables.

Marc for example has a couple Walmart Ar-15's which are worth about $300 used. A couple 10/22's, .22 cal guns at $100 each. So the federal government can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWvVMt0rRsU take care of Marc for well less thank $1k.

A year later the $230 billion would pay for a two fold expansion in the ACA! FREE
"In 2016 alone, Obamacare will cost a total of $110 billion"
In 2016 alone, Obamacare will cost a total of $110 billion

Dude, there you go again. Look up the meaning of the word "Irony". What I posted was a direct answer to someone's question about a hypothetical situation. As usual you are reacting without following the thread.

And speaking of spewing opinions without any facts to back them up, that is your modus operendi here nearly every time you post.

Phil1111

Gun violence costs the US $230 Billion a year:
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/true-cost-of-gun-violence-in-america/. There are an estimated 300 million guns in the US.

Which equates a cost of $766 for every single gun in the US. Not gun owners, thats per gun. So a gun buyback program would take care of almost every gun excepting high class collectables.

Marc for example has a couple Walmart Ar-15's which are worth about $300 used. A couple 10/22's, .22 cal guns at $100 each. So the federal government can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWvVMt0rRsU take care of Marc for well less thank $1k.

A year later the $230 billion would pay for a two fold expansion in the ACA! FREE
"In 2016 alone, Obamacare will cost a total of $110 billion"
In 2016 alone, Obamacare will cost a total of $110 billion

You fail to realize that no gun buyback program ever worked. People brought in their old non-working guns and made a fortune. Americans are not going to sell their guns back. No way no how
Abraham Lincoln

gowlerk

Dude, there you go again. Look up the meaning of the word "Irony". What I posted was a direct answer to someone's question about a hypothetical situation. As usual you are reacting without following the thread.

And speaking of spewing opinions without any facts to back them up, that is your modus operendi here nearly every time you post.

Go back and read your own post dude! You spewed your shit like it was facts. You ain't got a fact in there. You have your opinions. Give me a break!
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Go back and read your own post dude! You spewed your shit like it was facts. You ain't got a fact in there. You have your opinions. Give me a break!

I propose a variation on Skitt's Law. Call it the Ruskie law. "Any post that lambasts another post for lacking X will itself lack X."

You fail to realize that no gun buyback program ever worked. People brought in their old non-working guns and made a fortune. Americans are not going to sell their guns back. No way no how

It's worked elsewhere. Americans are not so different. Most of the are human. I'm talking about a long term buyback. It would reduce the numbers over a period of many years. Note, I said "reduce" not eliminate.

Dude, again. It's hard to believe you sometimes. I was answering a question asking for an opinion. Not facts. I never stated anything was factual. Just that I had some ideas. You are extremely tiresome tonight.

gowlerk

Dude, again. It's hard to believe you sometimes. I was answering a question asking for an opinion. Not facts. I never stated anything was factual. Just that I had some ideas. You are extremely tiresome tonight.

Good! Maybe you go away. Not that I give a damn what you think anyway.
Abraham Lincoln