swisschris62

Cop shoots unarmed kid -graphic

turtlespeed

***This cop fucked up big time and he knows it..... he left his drop gun at home.

Read the whole thing.
His statement was a black and white way of looking at it.

You can't tell me that if you are responding to a call of a guy brandishing a firearm, and the kid turns around and pulls something out of his pants that meets the description, you would not have a different preparedness level than if you were answering a call about a kitten stuck in a tree.

Different is one thing, shoot first ask questions later is another. Come on, how many young men in baggy white T-shirts and short haircuts hang around outside shop fronts every day? That's a pretty loose description. The idea that responding to that call makes it even remotely OK to shoot someone who is acting with zero aggression and with zero evidence of a weapon is absolutely incredible.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Its funny when people bitch because they get hardcore training and good weapons, then also bitch that they are under trained, stupid, and should never be a cop.....I get it, I get it.

I think that statement shows that you do not make the slightest effort to understand the opposing argument.

Hint: it's nothing like what you just said.

What opposing argument? I have stated I think 3 times here the cop was wrong. I'm simply showing how it came about. There is a history of cops getting shot by citizens("as is citizens by cops" hur hur got that reply out of the way for you). It usually starts with failure to obey commands, sometimes the person is turned away, especially if they are doing both and have their hands inside thieir pants where weapons are carried. Combine that with cops that are actually looking for a person that fits that description who was just brandishing a weapon and you have a really good chance at this happening. It isn't supprising to me given the nature of the game. Once again as I said before it will be overlooked that I AGREE THE COP WAS WRONG.

swisschris62

Is this the only way these 'professionals' in uniform know how to handle these situations?

http://truthvoice.com/2015/06/video-proof-unarmed-utah-man-was-listening-to-headphones-when-killed-by-police/

Curious.... why is this coming up NOW? This occurred in August 2014. TEN months ago. :S
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Driver1

***Is this the only way these 'professionals' in uniform know how to handle these situations?

http://truthvoice.com/2015/06/video-proof-unarmed-utah-man-was-listening-to-headphones-when-killed-by-police/

Curious.... why is this coming up NOW? This occurred in August 2014. TEN months ago. :S

Why not now? First I heard of it. Does justice have an expiration date?
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Croc

******Is this the only way these 'professionals' in uniform know how to handle these situations?

Why not now? First I heard of it. Does justice have an expiration date?

Nah, not really. Just wondered if he had to dig it up or if it was recently published online... 10 months is kind of old news. First I'd heard of it too though.

If the guy had been black though, it would have been all over the news then. :S
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

jakee

Its funny when people bitch because they get hardcore training and good weapons, then also bitch that they are under trained, stupid, and should never be a cop.....I get it, I get it.

I think that statement shows that you do not make the slightest effort to understand the opposing argument.

Hint: it's nothing like what you just said.

We could probably add these quotes too:

"WOO HOO... Summary death sentences for all young men with saggy pant's..."

"This cop fucked up big time and he knows it..... he left his drop gun at home."

"a spouse and children thrust into bottomless grief and a very real threat of a sudden detour into a life of poverty due to loss of a breadwinner. But the cops can pat each other on the back and say "good kill"
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

jakee

******This cop fucked up big time and he knows it..... he left his drop gun at home.

Read the whole thing.
His statement was a black and white way of looking at it.

You can't tell me that if you are responding to a call of a guy brandishing a firearm, and the kid turns around and pulls something out of his pants that meets the description, you would not have a different preparedness level than if you were answering a call about a kitten stuck in a tree.

Different is one thing, shoot first ask questions later is another. Come on, how many young men in baggy white T-shirts and short haircuts hang around outside shop fronts every day? That's a pretty loose description. The idea that responding to that call makes it even remotely OK to shoot someone who is acting with zero aggression and with zero evidence of a weapon is absolutely incredible.

I didn't say I agreed with it, look at what I renamed the thread ^^^^^^^

I was simply stating the why it happened. He was already amped, expecting aggression, excitement level was topped out, and he reacted to a perceived threat. He should have been trained better.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Driver1

***Is this the only way these 'professionals' in uniform know how to handle these situations?

I think it's because the body cam video was released to the public.

I remember hearing about this awhile back. I remember the kids face. You didn't hear too much about it as it was overshadowed by Ferguson....

Coreeece

******Is this the only way these 'professionals' in uniform know how to handle these situations?

I remember hearing about this awhile back. I remember the kids face. You didn't hear too much about it as it was overshadowed by Ferguson....

Andy will call me a racist for saying this, but it seems to me that it is not as big a news story because he was white, had he been black it would have been front page news and on every news channel and at least three or four cities would have burned.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********Is this the only way these 'professionals' in uniform know how to handle these situations?

Andy will call me a racist for saying this, but it seems to me that it is not as big a news story because he was white, had he been black it would have been front page news and on every news channel and at least three or four cities would have burned.

I think that's correct. And the reason is there isn't a national history of white people being targeted for harassment, repression, unjustfied or excessive force and deadly force while unarmed by virtue of their being white. But there is such a history of that happening disproportionally to black people. So I guess I can understand why as a matter of institutional memory and group psychology, THEY'RE JUST A TAD TOUCHY ABOUT THE SUBJECT! And, in turn, they've sensitized those in the news media to the pattern of injustices, just as they were able to do back in the early 1960s with respect to civil rights.

Disappointing I have to explain that.

I don't think you understand the risk to the police that an innocent man minding his owns business, walking down the street listening to music, actually presents.
It's clear to me that cops should be able to hop off their horse and eliminate us at will based upon random selection and wild fear..
Why don't you people understand this?
[:/]

Yeah less than the $75k the person I was talking with said they get paid starting out which was what I was getting at. I took it as $35k average it might have been 45,261.11 and a free coupon for doughnuts, but the point is and your missing it is that the average wasn't $75,000 as he thought....I was right, this cop was wrong, and you can't see the forest but for the trees. I'm not responding to this again.

You're wrong, no one said the average starting salary was $75k. You said it was $35k, and you were wrong. You said it was $30k, and you were more wrong. And even though you were told that you were too lazy to check and just kept digging a bigger hole.

The point is that when someone pulls you up on a point of fact it's not because they're being a jerk, it's because you're wrong. But yet again, it seems like you're more interested in being aggressively argumentative than examining the facts behind your ideas.

But I don't think that's what you're going to take away from this. You're going to keep thinking that you were justified in arguing an incorrect position because you felt you were making a valid statement, and the people pointing out that you were wrong were only doing it because they were douchebags, not because they had a point to make.

No I didn't go 'digging' it up.
I didn't do a search for cops shooting people...honestly I don't know how I ended up seeing it.
It bothered me because my kid who's 25 runs around with ear buds in all the time.
I'm also not against cops. I'm against cops shooting dogs and unarmed citizens. It is my responsibility to drive a big truck safely in all sorts of conditions and it's a cops job to not kill people for no reason.
Salt lake pd recently shot and killed a weimereiner puppy in a fenced in back yard. The cop was chasing someone on foot and they happen to run through the puppies back yard. The puppy ran after them and the cop shot it.
Maybe they don't have enough real criminals there to shoot at.

Are you telling me you don't use the term 'kid' for anyone that looks like a goofy kid?
I'll bet if you described him vas a 'man with head phones' most people wouldn't have looked at him twice.
Whereas if you said ' the kid wearing head phones' you would have looked at him.
My kid is 26, works for cbs sports doing graphic stuff and has a legitimate incorporated side business doing computer stuff.
He's still a kid.
You can't possibly have a hard time understanding the difference.

Andy9o8

there isn't a national history of white people being targeted for harassment, repression, unjustfied or excessive force and deadly force while unarmed by virtue of their being white.

This incident proves this isn't racial, but socioeconomic and police procedure/relations.

Silver lining? :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Headoverheels

Around here starting pay is $78k

Me

What department is that if you don't mind me asking?

Headoverheels

San Jose

Me

Exactly, from where I am talking in Baton Rouge to there is a 53% increase in cost of living. Cant compare salaries without talking about that, it makes the numbers ridiculous without bringing it up. Look at the average salary on Google. The range is 35k-85k from start to retirement for cops in the U.S.

The point is he stated the starting salary there was $75K, I recognized something out of the ordinary, and realized it was San Jose, and it was an unusually high cost of living area and that's why the starting salary was that high, I then used the link to show the range was from 35K-85K start to retirement in the US. From there you stepped in and started nit picking to the point no one knew what we were talking about anymore and the thread died at 3 pages. I AM DONE WITH THIS TOPIC WITH YOU, go back and read the damn thread if you wish the things I posted above were what I was referring to.

swisschris62

Are you telling me you don't use the term 'kid' for anyone that looks like a goofy kid?
I'll bet if you described him vas a 'man with head phones' most people wouldn't have looked at him twice.
Whereas if you said ' the kid wearing head phones' you would have looked at him.
My kid is 26, works for cbs sports doing graphic stuff and has a legitimate incorporated side business doing computer stuff.
He's still a kid.
You can't possibly have a hard time understanding the difference.

He was 20 years old. A 20 year old can vote, go to war, be charged as an adult, and go to real person jail, not juvie..

You click baited everyone here with that title. You cant possibly have a hard time understanding that can you? You dont happen to work for a media outlet, or web ad design firm do you? Might have a very good career making misleading titles. Now back to the topic. "Cop MIRDERS unarmed kid in cold blood."

cvfd1399

You click baited everyone here with that title.

I think you're both right, but good point. I did click the link thinking the victim was much younger, but it shouldn't really matter. It could've very well been a 14-year old.

Also, depending on your age, 25 is still considered a kid. I believe they can still be claimed on their parents taxes and named on their parents medical insurance. When a 20 year-old gets picked up for an M.I.P, they are treated as a minor and the misdemeanor charges are erased after several years.

When filtering through all the BS comments, I think "both sides" made valid points, but I doubt there is much that could be done by way of sheer policy to prevent something like this from happening again.

You'd think by now we'd have a weapon with stopping power as effective as a gun - and then some - without all the lethality.

Andy9o8

just as they were able to do back in the early 1960s with respect to civil rights.

Out! Back to the sixties! Back! There's no place for you here in the future! Get back while you still can!

cvfd1399

The point is he stated the starting salary there was $75K, I recognized something out of the ordinary, and realized it was San Jose, and it was an unusually high cost of living area and that's why the starting salary was that high, I then used the link to show the range was from 35K-85K start to retirement in the US.

I think the point is that you were out by 40% and you don't seem to think that could possibly be important. Maybe $12k is only worth a donut coupon to you but to most people it's a heck of a lot of money.

It's also telling to how you approach discussions here that you kept insisting that the figures you were stating were correct when the source you provided clearly showed them to be wrong. I just don't get why that is?

Here's a hint you missed the point of what was trying to be said to try and pin me down on some irrelevantly accurate number so I purposly toyed with you. You to this day still miss the fact that The only thing that was trying to be said was the starting point certainly isn't 75k everywhere......