SunWatcher

Should Chris Kyle be awarded the Medal of Honor?

"Congress launches Medal of Honor campaign for ‘American Sniper’ Chris Kyle"

"A Texas congressman introduced a bill Thursday that would ask the president to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to Chris Kyle, a Navy SEAL whose life was chronicled in the movie “American Sniper.” Rep. Roger Williams, Texas Republican, said Kyle should receive the Medal of Honor for his actions during Operation Iraqi Freedom that saved “countless American lives.”

Story: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/26/roger-williams-wants-medal-honor-chris-kyle-americ/?_sm_au_=iMVPTn3r7ffrnQ3N

SunWatcher

so the movie comes out and this happens
NFL game has deflated balls, so congress wants to pass a law there
etc
etc
etc

the quote should be

"Shameless politician sees that a current Hollywood film is attracting a ton of attention and makes a big gesture to ingratiate himself to mindless movie goers"

being the subject of a movie shouldn't be rationalization for the MOH
if his actions warranted it, it shouldn't take a movie to get the works in motion
if that's what it takes, then it's another symptom of a failed social and political system

Freakin' pols and half the populace probably even think that Kyle = Bradley Cooper for that matter. I'd like to test that with the politician with a line up of ten pictures and see if he could pick out Kyle without help from a popularity poll and 3 assistants

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

SunWatcher

"A Texas congressman introduced a bill Thursday that would ask the president to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to ...

I'm almost 100% certain that's not how it works. The "Texas congressman" may think so, but I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm fairly certain there is more to it than simply asking the President to do it. There would absolutely be a vetting process. It's not something that just happens "because."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I am sure from all that I have learned of the Man he wouldn't accept it if he was alive. He did not "earn" it. He did his Job. Nothing more nothing less and he didn't ask for recognition the military heaped it upon him.

He did not call himself the most deadly sniper. The military outed him and he made the best of it and tried to use that notoriety to help others which cost him and his friend their lives.

While he should be remembered he didn't earn the medal of honor..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Far as I know, no.

He did his job the best he could, there's no doubt of that. What the CMOH is awarded for is for heroic actions of bravery beyond what any soldier would be expected to perform in battle in the face of certain death or crippling injuries.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

quade

***"Congress launches Medal of Honor campaign for ‘American Sniper’ Chris Kyle"

"A Texas congressman introduced a bill Thursday that would ask the president to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to ...

I'm almost 100% certain that's not how it works. The "Texas congressman" may think so, but I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm fairly certain there is more to it than simply asking the President to do it. There would absolutely be a vetting process. It's not something that just happens "because."

Of course that's not how it works... But in Kyle's home state, the congressman can't loose.

quade

***"Congress launches Medal of Honor campaign for ‘American Sniper’ Chris Kyle"

The first and most common is nomination and approval through the chain of command of the service member. The second method is nomination by a member of the U.S. Congress, generally at the request of a constituent, and the subsequent approval via a special Act of Congress. In both cases, the Medal of Honor is presented by the President on behalf of, and in the name of, the Congress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If he wasn't being considered before, he should not be considered now. He hasn't done anything since he died except be the subject of a movie. A good movie, a good man and a hell of a sailor but not enough for the "button".
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Maybe they can give him a Presidential Medal of Honor.

they'll give that to just about anyone

it's like a Grammy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

DanG

As much as I admire the man, I have seen no evidence justifying the award of the MOH.

Agree

Why ?

Obama got the Nobel Peace prize
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Why ?

I don't think the MOH should be a popularity contest. If the Nodel Committee wants their prize to be a popularity contest, that's fine for them, I don't really care.

Do you think Kyle earned the MOH?

- Dan G

The criteria for the Medal of Honor are rigid, and should not be a tiny bit more flexible.

There is an apocryphal case of a Purple Heart being awarded for a food fight ('shell fragment in eye'), the Silver Star being awarded to Lyndon Johnson for being a passenger aboard a bomber that never got within range of Japanese forces, and so forth.

"Conspicuous gallantry, intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service" is no small matter.

I know of nothing in Chris Kyles background that would even qualify him for the DSC, which does not detract from his accomplishments one iota.

MOH citations are all to often posthumous, and are typically stunning.

Maybe a Nobel Prize is in order on the basis of how many mujaheddin he euthanized.

BSBD,

Winsor

DanG

Why ?

I don't think the MOH should be a popularity contest. If the Nodel Committee wants their prize to be a popularity contest, that's fine for them, I don't really care.

I don't think he earned the Medal of Honor. Period. Giving Chris Kyle the CMH is like naming a lcombat ship after, say, Gabby Giffords. It's more about PR than tradition or honor. Think of Mark Kelly, her husband. Navy pilot and astronaut who put his ass on the line repeatedly and she gets. Ship named after her.

Giving this stuff out as PR seems to be the way things are going. What's next? Medal of Honor sponsored by...?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

DanG

No
do you think Obama earned the Nobel Peace Prize?
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

do you think Obama earned the Nobel Peace Prize?

No.
Does every thread have to turn in an Obama thread?

No
Abraham Lincoln

In a world where Birdman can beat Boyhood for the Best Picture Oscar, anything can happen B|
:P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

In a world where Birdman can beat Boyhood for the Best Picture Oscar, anything can happen B|
:P

Wendy P.

You got that right
Abraham Lincoln