Skyrad

The Independent People's Republic of Jockistan

Amazon

This is from a post in the Scottish Families' Forum that I am using to track down dead ancestors on.. I am not sure where it was posted originally BUT food for actual thought

Its a propaganda piece. Some of it's true but take the whole thing with a pinch of salt.
FWIW, I think they should vote yes anyway. Maybe then they'll stop complaining all the time.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

>Scotland would do well to watch they don't become the next Ukraine.

Based on the rhetoric coming out of Scotland, it sounds like they'd be much happier under Putin than under the cruel and tyrannical fist of the UK.

Of course, it's their country; they can do whatever they like.

Stumpy

***This is from a post in the Scottish Families' Forum that I am using to track down dead ancestors on.. I am not sure where it was posted originally BUT food for actual thought

Its a propaganda piece. Some of it's true but take the whole thing with a pinch of salt.
FWIW, I think they should vote yes anyway. Maybe then they'll stop complaining all the time.

DUUUUDE they are Scottish.....its genetic;)

billvon

>Scotland would do well to watch they don't become the next Ukraine.

Based on the rhetoric coming out of Scotland, it sounds like they'd be much happier under Putin than under the cruel and tyrannical fist of the UK.

Of course, it's their country; they can do whatever they like.

Based on how many Tea Baggers here worship the shirtess butch dude... they would be happier "under" Putin too.:ph34r:

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jeanne,

SUPPORT THE "YES" VOTE

And Sean Connery ( a Scot ) once said he would never bow before the Queen.

Well, we know how that went.

:P

They have all of that, but what are they going to do for money? The devil is in the details; as they say. :S

JerryBaumchen

Didn't he eat her out or something like that . . . is it still bowing if its tossing a salad?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Remster

***That also reminds me of Quebec's threats to separate. When separatists politicians got loud and obnoxious -during the 1960s - several large banks and major corporations moved their headquarters to Toronto.

"Moved". The famed Sunlife line-up of Brinks trucks was all for show.

Both sides spewed massive amounts of propaganda.
Some days you needed a snow plow.
Some politicians gave a French-language speech on Monday and a radically different English speech on Tuesday. When I hear two different opinions from the same person, begin to distrust them.
The scariest thing was the English-language press told one story while the French-language press told another story, but they never seemed bright enough to realize that the better-educated Canadians could understand both languages.

Ok, lets have a look at those stats for a moment.

32% of the land area.

Much of the land is mountainous, boggy or so far removed from anywhere it has no infrastructure to support anything.

61% of the sea area.

Currently, however in the event of Scotland leaving the Uk the costal territory will have to be redefined as it doesn't actually legally belong to Scotland but to the UK.

90% of the fresh water.

I'm highly suspicious of that claim, (clearly made by someone who has never visited Wales!)

65% of the natural gas production.

Taking this figure on face value this figure doesn't factor into the equation future remaining reserves or future shale gas production which if taken into account would revise the figure downwards significantly.

96.5% of the crude oil production.

The revenue from which does not belong to Scotland but to private companies. Under the present arrangement the oil tax revenues are assigned to an economic region set up by the UK government, which is called the UK Continental Shelf (UKCS). This means that oil resources are not officially assigned to Scotland but instead to a region distinct from the British mainland. Following a YES vote the area would be carved up and Scotland would receive a far smaller amount of the tax revenue than at present. If divided by geography it will be less if divided by investment made it will be around 10% of current revenue. And then theres this just in... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9151646/Scotlands-oil-rich-Northern-Isles-tell-Alex-Salmond-We-might-stay-with-UK.html

47% of the open cast coal production

A bit of a turkey this one as in the UK, thirty one percent of electricity currently comes from coal-burning power stations. However, a third of these power stations are expected to close by 2016 so that they meet EU air quality legislation. This means that Britain will become less reliant on coal as a source of energy and will need to look at alternative energy sources. The big coal users all have their own coal mining so I can't imagine that it would be cost effective to try and export it. The loss of EU free trade would also impact Scotland's ability to do export business.

81% of the untapped coal reserves

See point above, there was a good reason why the UK closed most of its coal mines in the 1980's coal is simply not the future of energy.

62% of the timber production

Again loss of EU free trade agreement will have impact upon Scotland's ability to export the timber. Remember this will also apply to the rest of the UK which is part of the EU which is its biggest customer. Still maybe they can use it to build some Man of War Ships for their new Navy :D

46% of the total forest area

Much of which is protected so is pretty much irrelevant anyway.

92% of the hydro electric production

Without questioning that figure even hydro electric power accounts for 1.8% of the UK's total generating capacity (including Scotland usage) so woopidoo.

40% of the wind wave and solar energy production

Again not really all that exciting as other forms of power are coming on line in the UK and solar farms are steadily increasing across the rest of the UK. However these forms of power production account for a minuscule amount of power production across the UK.

60% of the fish landings

Again this will change once the territorial waters of the UK are remapped. On top of which the issue of no longer being a in a free trade zone means that what fish they do land will have a very limited market.

30% of the beef herd
20% of the sheep herd
9% of the dairy herd
10% of the pig herd
15% if the cereal holdings
20% of the potato holdings
...obviously 100% of the Scotch Whisky industry.

Even if these figures are correct (I didn't check) there is the same problem with not being in the EU free trade zone.

We have a...
17 billion pound construction industry

Which will be massively effected by the loss of a central bank underwriting accounts and loans. The cost of Scotland borrowing investment money will be far higher as they will no longer have a AAA credit rating (They'll be lucky if they scrape a B). Home owners with Sterling mortgages will be struggling to pay off their debts as any new currency will be very disproportionate on a sterling exchange rate.

13 billion food and drink industry

In times of austerity this is one of the first sectors to be hit hard.

10 billion business services industry

Many businesses are not waiting to move south and are already doing so, Billions have been removed from Scotland in the past week alone.

9.3 billion chemical services industry

Hit by the loss of a Freetrade agreement across the EU and rUK.

A 9.3 billion tourism industry

This will do well I'm guessing as the exchange rate against the new currency (once they decide that the GBP is unworkable) will be very good for UK citizens and the novelty factor of a new Scotland is bound to draw people in the short term.

7 billion financial services industry

They'll be lucky if anything remains at this rate
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/08/scottish-independence-companies-billions-of-pounds-value-loss-pro-independence-poll-lead

5 billion aeroservice industry

Much of which is from the helicopter services for the oil rigs. 30 years left in them maybe?

4.5 billion pound whisky exports industry

Once again hit by loss of free trade agreement.

3.1 billion pound life sciences industry

Much of which is on the back of being a part of the UK. Government contracts would disappear over night along with NHS backed projects.

Scotland still has 350 million pounds worth of textile exports

Not without EU membership it doesn't

We have 25% of Europes wave and wind energy potential.

Just as Europe is moving towards shale gas and nuclear production.

And finally we are blessed to have 1.5 trillion pound worth of oil and gas reserves.

Which don't actually belong to the Scottish government and neither does all the tax revenue.

I love Scotland, its a beautiful country and I have many friends living there, I actually doubt that they will vote YES to independence. But if they do it will be a train crash.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Thats the funniest bit of all, the Scots rule themselves in their own Parliament in Scotland, the rest of us (Welsh, English and Northern Irish) just pay their debts for them.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/index.aspx

They even have their own laws and legal system.

http://www.scottishlaw.org.uk

In fact Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own Parliaments just for themselves but the English do not have our own Parliament for England. In actual fact the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish get a say on how England is governed but the English have no say in their Parliaments at all.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Andy9o8

You realize you're making my point, right? ;)

And he is doing a fine job of it too.

I think the Scots... with just 8.3% of the population of the islands will manage to get by just fine on what they do have. Skyrad is forgetting the most important thing though which is having the freedom to do as they wish.

With all the bellyaching of those who will be losing all those resources though... you can tell they seem mighty butthurt about it.;)

Andy9o8

Assuming all you say is correct, the headlong scramble of the lemmings to the cliff would seem to validate a long-standing historical fact: the Brits excel at really, really pissing off the people they govern.

Scots ARE Brits.

They just have the misfortune of not being English.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Amazon

***You realize you're making my point, right? ;)

I think the Scots... with just 8.3% of the population of the islands will manage to get by just fine on what they do have. Skyrad is forgetting the most important thing though which is having the freedom to do as they wish.

With all the bellyaching of those who will be losing all those resources though... you can tell they seem mighty butthurt about it.;)

Scotland becoming independent of the rest of Britain makes exactly the same amount of sense as Colorado becoming independent of the rest of the USA.

kallend

******You realize you're making my point, right? ;)

Scotland becoming independent of the rest of Britain makes exactly the same amount of sense as Colorado becoming independent of the rest of the USA.

Professor dear, geographically I think they will be just fine. It would be a real bitch getting exports onto a a ship in a port in Colorado, not so much in Scotland. I think they have a few, even a few provided by the English for them over the last few hundred years:ph34r::ph34r:

From Answers.com

Ninety percent of world trade is transported by ocean transportation. World trade is transported as liquid-bulk (petroleum products), dry-bulk (coal and grains), break-bulk (dry non-bulk cargo on pallets), neo-bulk (loose cargo of common size as automobiles) and container cargo. During the first half of the twentieth century, the ocean transportation of bulk commodities advanced; ships were designed to transport coal, grain and petroleum products. However, the transport methods for dry non-bulk cargo changed little. All of this began to change in 1955 when Malcom McLean recognized that individual pieces of cargo needed to be handled only twice - at their origin when stored in a standardized container box, and at their destination when unloaded...

Scots ARE Brits.
They just have the misfortune of not being English.

Ah, yes.

Kinnoch: With respect, Mr. Gandhi, without British administration, this country would be reduced to chaos.
Gandhi: Mr. Kinnoch, I beg you to accept that there is no people on Earth who would not prefer their own bad government to the good government of an alien power.
Brigadier: My dear sir! India is British. We're hardly an alien power!

[All assembled: embarrassed silence.]

-Ghandi (film), 1982

Texas already is; might as well throw Colorado into the mix.

If you have to quote a movie to make your point, you lose.

Scotland is part of Britain, just like USA is part of North America. Britain is an island in the North Atlantic, not a political region.

kallend

If you have to quote a movie to make your point, you lose.

Scotland is part of Britain, just like USA is part of North America. Britain is an island in the North Atlantic, not a political region.

For the non-UK people here: http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Here is yet another perspective on the issue...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/scottish-toffs-begin-to-sweat-as-referendum-counts-down-1.1926197

Fearing taxes on mansions and compulsory purchase of their estates, Scottish aristocrats are getting nervous – very nervous – in the face of next week’s independence referendum.

Nearly three-quarters of all of Scotland’s land is owned by 2,500 people: the Duke of Buccleuch, for example, holds 250,000 acres.

Interviewed by the Tatler, the Duchess of Argyll said: “This place eats money. But what if [First Minister] Salmond imposes a mansion tax? We’re done for.” Her family owns 62,000 acres and Inveraray, the castle used in the 2012 Downton Abbey Christmas special.

In the Scottish Borders, Lord Adrian Palmer told the Tatler’s reporter of his concerns. “I mean, [the pro-independence movement] simply do not know what they’re doing,” he told the magazine, the bible of British high society.

Lawyer Felicia Morris, described by the Tatler as “the new queen of the London-based Scots”, said: “Everyone’s very worried. It’s being talked about incessantly at dinner parties.”

Not all aristos are divorced from ordinary life, though perhaps they have unusually demonstrative ways of displaying their feelings.

Three years ago, Kit Fraser, who lives in a castle in Perthshire, stripped down to his underpants outside the Royal Bank of Scotland’s agm in Edinburgh to demonstrate Scotland’s anger at bankers “stripping the nation bare”.