Anvilbrother

Riots over a shoting turn into free jordans and 40's

Anvilbrother

Have a look at the pictures here, and the 1100+ comments. This is from Reddit a place where millions of people post every day, and is heavily liberal. They also see what is going on .
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/2djkqh/yes_there_have_been_gross_oversteps_by_police_but/

My thoughts on this cock-up, are best stated by repurposing words from one of my favorite sci-fi characters.

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

--Admiral William Adama, Battlestar Galactica

If you outfit the police as if they were the military, they will act like it.

Tell me how police are any more military than 1965 and up when swat was started other than they have access to $1 mraps from surpuls programs? Look at that old swat photo, the only thing missing is color.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Besides examples of a Candian riot, this is the first one I was able to view
After filtering through a number of rather racist comments such as:
"ghetto as fuck area"
"Fuckin black people man."
"Why do black people riot and plunder shops every time something like this happens? Despicable."

You need to try harder if that is your source, unless racism is your thing.

Keep in mind this all started because two unarmed kids were walking in the street. To grandmother's house we go.

I dunno, I know there is a lot of information we don't yet know.
But shooting a kid for jaywalking is unreal.
Justifying it by force is unacceptable to me.

Anvilbrother

Tell me how police are any more military than 1965 and up when swat was started other than they have access to $1 mraps from surpuls programs? Look at that old swat photo, the only thing missing is color.

Ah yes the good old days... Police riots in Chicago... beating down those dirty hippies and anti-war protestors....
Hell lets call out the National Guard.... lets shoot some students while we are "protecting America"

Ohio
lyrics by Neil Young

--------

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

It changes to everything vs me at 1am on the side of the road at night and you find an abandoned vehicle where bad shit usually has gone down and there is someone laying on the ground and one standing next to them.

Really? According to another cop posting in this thread it turns into "everything vs me" when he's in his car and Grandma sitting on her porch looks at him. I think that cop's name was Anvilbrother. You're obviously way more laid back than that guy.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You forgot to clip out and paste the part where I said just before that its US together for the community when the environment is right.

Your hand picking multiple posts out of context and trying to make them literal. The intent of what was said is that when a cop puts on his uniform and goes to work it becomes everything that can injure and kill VS them.

Same thing as a firefighter. When your out and about during a shift in a building that's not on fire your not thinking of when is this roof going to collapse, are there exposed live wires to shock me, propane tanks venting?, how much air do i have left etc.

When in public safety, military, plants and im sure other high risk jobs you have to put on your fucking work hat, adjust your mental attitude and be safe.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

The intent of what was said is that when a cop puts on his uniform and goes to work it becomes everything that can injure and kill VS them.

Yeah, and then you backpedalled to justify it by talking about obviously shitty situations, and then it's back to us vs them in all situations.

When AggieDave used to post here a lot he'd talk about criminals, police and other citizens as wolves, sheepdogs and sheep. Now, I'm pretty sure that he's a very good policeman, but that outlook is still dead fucking wrong. Same thing here.

Anvilbrother

This is exactly the shit the media has told everyone that incited this riot. Do you, the media, the cops( under investigation) have all the facts at this point? Were you there when the kid was killed, was an unbiased media there? If you dont have all the facts then we all shouldn't say shit about the shootings, or police actions.

Remember what Spike Lee did during the zimmerman trial which was supported by the media at the beginning?

There's a tremendous difference between the Zimmerman/Martin shooting and this one. Then, the police initially cleared him and the evidence was available. Then pressure came to charge him and have the trial.

In our current case, the PD has basically lawyered up and won't even name the shooter. If a citizen shot and killed someone, even for what looks like obvious self defense, they're still going to jail and will be put through the ringer. They certainly wouldn't get the priviledge of anonimity, even if the deceased has a bunch of gang banger friends who will likely retaliate.

In the absence of any statements from the police, and adding in the one biased account and the one potentially unbiased account of this as a contempt of cop execution, coupled with the non functioning camera gear, it hardly seems like a jump to conclusion going on. Doesn't defend looting and rioting as a response, but it's been a week. Give us any reason to believe it could be justified.

If there was in fact some altercation where said LEO was pushed back into his car, that could support the first shot fired, but it can't support the described shooting down the street.

The later events - the gassing of a state senator, the assault on reporters - I see a PD that has lost complete institutional control and may need to be eliminated and replaced entirely.

No your wrong. Dead wrong.

The intent of every command presence comment I have made was that it was a mentality not to fuck anyone but to be prepared for whatever harm may come be it human, or environmental in order to go home safe.

Please find one comment where i inferred that its ok for the police to do anything wrong(legally/morally/ethically) just to fuck with someone for fun, hatred or whatever.

Please find one comment where i inferred that its ok for the police to do anything wrong(legally/morally/ethically) just to fuck with someone for fun, hatred or whatever.

Ok, but you do something for me first. Find one comment where I said that's what you said.:S

It's starting to feel like you have a knee firmly between our shoulder blades, hand full of hair, forcing a face full of concrete while yelling "STOP RESISTING"!!!!! at this point.

I'm guessing you're never going to see that side though.

It appears even the justice department now sees it that way.
They have forced the local authorities out now.
I believe Mr. Holder had a lot to say about the military approach.

I remember talking with a cop friend, and finally realizing that his filter is different, because a much larger percentage of people he deals with really are guilty. He still tried to consider them as innocent, but it's kind of like trying to be surprised that there are free fliers at a DZ :)

So one must consider the source, as in any other situation. And sometimes I'm glad there are people out there in front line positions who are comfortable with just dealing, and not considering the source, because there isn't time. Unfortunately, some don't recognize the difference, and are always in automatic reaction mode.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yeah, and then you backpedalled to justify it by talking about obviously shitty situations, and then it's back to us vs them in all situations.

Thats what I took out of this comment was that you think im ok with cops to doing bad things, and I was trying to cover my tracks.

Anvilbrother

Thats what I took out of this comment was that you think im ok with cops to doing bad things, and I was trying to cover my tracks.

No, I clearly meant backpedalling from your initial statement that it's always us vs them.

Anvilbrother

We will see in court. I wont comment on the shooting, or the police actions against the looters, rioteers(sp).

There's the problem - "we'll see in court" is an unacceptable level of transparency and accountability for the people we give badges and guns to.

You do realize that since post #41 we started talking about police having a military mentality, and have hardly talked about the riots right?

My US. VS them was NEVER about race, color, sex etc. It has always been US=Police/THEM=Potential bad guys, and anything that could harm you. Its a saying about being cautious of your surrounding and, not to be taken as US vs Blacks, mexicans etc that alot of you are thinking it is. I believe it is due to the fact that this thread started as a black riot thread and evolved into a police mentality thread.

What the fuck do you want the police/da/courts to do, release partial info, evidence, taint the jury pool even worse?

You dont talk till you know all the story and have all the evidence. You release a statement that there was a shooting involving an officer, and a civilian, and the the nearest department, or higher up department(state police etc) is handling the investigation.

Alot of that shit is sealed until a long time after for good reasons.

I WILL ONCE AGAIN STATE THIS.

The original thread was about the riots. At post#41 Amazon stated this

Too many of our police only have the military approach in their toolbox.
It is what some of them were taught at a very early age as a way to deal with "evildoing colored peoples far far away". They have brought all those problems home with them and its been socialized to their fellow officers.

AT THAT POINT WE STARTED DISCUSSING THE MODERN AGE OF POLICE MENTALITY, AND NOT DIRECTING IT TOWARDS THE SPECIFIC TOPIC BUT ALL POLICE IN GENERAL

MY REPLY WAS THIS AT POST #45 of like 300+

It is THEM(EVERYONE) vs US when your a police officer trying to return home from work alive.

I have NEVER stated that the THEM in that phrase us vs them was about anyone of a certain race sex etc. That is something that keeps getting thrown at me as something i have said or believe in.

That link is stupid,...

what is stupid about a bunch of pictures of what is really happening at any given place?

No I do not actually get your point. not at all. There is nothing stupid about a picture of a guy on the top of a vehicle with a rifle and scope, especially if that is a an actual picture of a guy on the top of a vehicle with a rifle and scope.