airdvr

Once again Jimmy Carter proves he is an idiot...

Jimmy Carter calls for recognizing terror group Hamas

Even USA Today calls them terrorists. More drivel from a Presidential failure.

Carter achieved a major diplomatic achievement with the Camp David Accords in 1978, which produced peace between Israel and Egypt. Since then, he "has kind of wandered off the highway," said Aaron David Miller, a vice president of the Wilson Center and a former Middle East negotiator for Democratic and Republican presidents.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Jimmy Carter calls for recognizing terror group Hamas

Carter achieved a major diplomatic achievement with the Camp David Accords in 1978, which produced peace between Israel and Egypt. Since then, he "has kind of wandered off the highway," said Aaron David Miller, a vice president of the Wilson Center and a former Middle East negotiator for Democratic and Republican presidents.

So you are saying hamas isn't a terrorist organization?

regulator

***Jimmy Carter calls for recognizing terror group Hamas

So you are saying hamas isn't a terrorist organization?

In this case it's all about point of view. I'm not stating they are or aren't. Just the fact.

There is a well known saying, "One man terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

MANY of the things the US does are considered terrorist actions by others. A number of "militia" groups in the US, especially those that want to go to our southern borders and shoot people entering the country would easily fit the description. The KKK for instance has stated they want to do that and pretty much by any definition (except by the members of the group) a reasonable person would conclude they are a terrorist organization, and they'd be right.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

kelpdiver

Your posting is a bit of a disaster, no? The classic combo of mistyping while calling another an idiot, no citation, and a somewhat irrelevant quotation.

I'm so sorry...here. Let me spoon feed it to you. I guess you don't follow world affairs all that much.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/08/05/carter-israel-hamas/13640905/

Destinations by Roxanne

> I guess you don't follow world affairs all that much.

More like the glass houses thing. You can bitch about people all you want, but if your complaint is something along the lines of "get a brain, morans!" - it's not going to be very effective. (And you might just end up as an example of the very thing you claim to be opposing.)

billvon

> I guess you don't follow world affairs all that much.

More like the glass houses thing. You can bitch about people all you want, but if your complaint is something along the lines of "get a brain, morans!" - it's not going to be very effective. (And you might just end up as an example of the very thing you claim to be opposing.)

You are correct sir. That errant 'd' proves I'm as much of an idiot as the person I'm complaining about. :S

I guess it is true...if you can't attack the message attack the messenger.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

***Your posting is a bit of a disaster, no? The classic combo of mistyping while calling another an idiot, no citation, and a somewhat irrelevant quotation.

I'm so sorry...here. Let me spoon feed it to you. I guess you don't follow world affairs all that much.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/08/05/carter-israel-hamas/13640905/

Let me help you, too!

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-William-Strunk-Jr/dp/1499142234/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407368965&sr=1-2&keywords=shrunk+and+white

Once again Jimmy Carter proves he is and idiot... by airdvr

Isn't that exactly what you did with this thread?

So you think Jimmy Carter is an "idiot". Well, lets make a quick comparison.
Carter:
Graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis
Qualified as submarine commander
Lead cleanup of nuclear reactor accident at Chalk River, Ontario
After leaving the navy, built a very successful farming business
Twice elected to Georgia Senate
Elected Governor of Georgia
Elected President of the US
since leaving the presidency:
Worked extensively with Habitat for Humanity
Founded and directs the Carter Center, which is highly active in combating several tropical diseases including malaria, trachoma, river blindness, lymphatic filariasis (elephantiasis), Guinea worm, and schistosomiasis. Several of these diseases (especially river blindness, lymphatic filariasis, and Guinea worm) are expected to be completely eradicated by 2020 due in very large part to the efforts of the Carter Foundation. The Foundation also actively and vigorously promotes democracy and human rights around the world. Carter himself is very much involved on a day to day basis with the activities of the Center.
Was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for the work of the Center, and for his work negotiating alternatives to war in several conflicts around the world. (Unlike Obama, who got the Nobel for not being Bush, Carter has done an unbelievable amount of work since leaving office to fight disease, promote human rights, promote democracy, and negotiate alternatives to war).

Now people may take issue with Carter's effectiveness as President, though it's not clear to me just how he was responsible for OPEC's oil embargo, or the Iranian hostage crisis, or the fact that the rescue failed because US military helicopter pilots were unable to avoid flying into one another. We should also keep in mind that he deregulated the beer industry and made it legal to sell malt, hopps, and yeast to home brewers for the first time since Prohibition; I think that offsets at least some of the bad stuff that happened during his time in office.

airdvr: accomplishments???
Since you assert all that Carter has done was accomplished by an "idiot", I'm sure you will be able to provide us with an even more impressive list of accomplishments that establish your intellectual superiority. I'm sure you have something to show, besides promoting a travel agency, to establish your credentials to proclaim Carter an "idiot".

Personally, I would have thought a discussion of the merits or lack thereof of talking to Hamas would have been more interesting than denigrating Carter's intelligence. However, you (airdvr) chose the topic for the thread. I hope you can defend it without showing yourself to be even more of an "idiot" than the messenger you chose to attack, rather than attack the message.

Don

It is instructive to notice the reaction of the religious wrong to a man who actually talks the talk and then walks the walk of his faith.

No matter how much they hate the man... he is following what his lord taught.

"Blessed are they who make peace, for they will be called the children of God."

Is there a lesson for any of the usual suspects here who profess their own faith to learn from his example in life???

Amazon

It is instructive to notice the reaction of the religious wrong to a man who actually talks the talk and then walks the walk of his faith.

Is there a lesson for any of the usual suspects here who profess their own faith to learn from his example in life???

and yet you hating everyone from texas...just because they are from texas...that's 'walking the walk?'

Hypocrite

regulator

***It is instructive to notice the reaction of the religious wrong to a man who actually talks the talk and then walks the walk of his faith.

and yet you hating everyone from texas...just because they are from texas...that's 'walking the walk?'

Hypocrite

Tsk tsk tsk

Prove that I hate everyone from Texas ....otherwise please stop with these incessant attacks...[:/]

When do you plan to answer Georgia Don's rebuttal to your assertion that Carter is an idiot?

Speaking of idiots, can you name the US political figure that was instrumental in getting Hamas elected? The one that pushed for, and got, the general election that put Hamas in power. The one that ignored the well informed people who warned, correctly, that a general election would result in Hamas being elected?

Here is a hint, the same person was on vacation in August, 2001. That person chose to totally ignore the PDB warning about an imminent attack on the USA, telling the people who delivered the message that they had covered their asses and could go back to Washington.

Please let us know who that person is. Consider this a basic test on the subject of recent historical FACTS.

Jimmy wasn't an idiot - he was extremely high functioning in many areas.

he was just a lousy president - super smart doesn't necessarily make a good pres.

even so - how does one prove "again" their idiocy. once it's proven, I didn't think it needed repeats

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

he was just a lousy president - super smart doesn't necessarily make a good pres.

even so - how does one prove "again" their idiocy. once it's proven, I didn't think it needed repeats

So you don't believe Hamas is a terrorist organization? I'll submit that all of you who don't believe Hamas is a threat in the ME are as Goat-Fuck-Stupid as Carter.

Destinations by Roxanne

rehmwa

Over the years, I've read many articles about the Carter administration, and they can all be distilled to 3 points:

1. Carter was an outsider in Washington. He had never served there as a representative nor a senator, so he had no established friends there, and did not know how the political machine worked.

2. He appointed people he knew, (and had worked with in the past), to administrative positions. Of course these were people from Georgia, so this only exacerbated problem #1.

3. He was a micromanager, and spent too much time dwelling on details that should have been delegated, and not enough time on the big picture.

That said, I still think Carter was probably the most decent human being to serve as POTUS in my lifetime, and the one who I would most want to be my next-door neighbor.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

airdvr

***Jimmy wasn't an idiot - he was extremely high functioning in many areas.

So you don't believe Hamas is a terrorist organization? I'll submit that all of you who don't believe Hamas is a threat in the ME are as Goat-Fuck-Stupid as Carter.

Of course they are.. but as has been stated one groups terrorists are another groups freedom fighters. Many of the founding fathers of Israel were seen as terrorists for their actions against the British as were many of our founding fathers seen the same way by the British of the late 18th century.

The people of Gaza elected them.... and seem to support them for now. What Carter is doing is encouraging a dialogue with the elected government.. that is not GOAT FUCK STUPID my dear..that is what is known as statesmanship and that is trying to get people to sit down and deal with reality. I do wish some people could parse reality a bit better but as we see by this thread it is beyond the capability of their limited abilities.

GeorgiaDon

Once again Jimmy Carter proves he is and idiot... by airdvr

Isn't that exactly what you did with this thread?

So you think Jimmy Carter is an "idiot". Well, lets make a quick comparison.
Carter:
Graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis
Qualified as submarine commander
Lead cleanup of nuclear reactor accident at Chalk River, Ontario
After leaving the navy, built a very successful farming business
Twice elected to Georgia Senate
Elected Governor of Georgia
Elected President of the US
since leaving the presidency:
Worked extensively with Habitat for Humanity
Founded and directs the Carter Center, which is highly active in combating several tropical diseases including malaria, trachoma, river blindness, lymphatic filariasis (elephantiasis), Guinea worm, and schistosomiasis. Several of these diseases (especially river blindness, lymphatic filariasis, and Guinea worm) are expected to be completely eradicated by 2020 due in very large part to the efforts of the Carter Foundation. The Foundation also actively and vigorously promotes democracy and human rights around the world. Carter himself is very much involved on a day to day basis with the activities of the Center.
Was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for the work of the Center, and for his work negotiating alternatives to war in several conflicts around the world. (Unlike Obama, who got the Nobel for not being Bush, Carter has done an unbelievable amount of work since leaving office to fight disease, promote human rights, promote democracy, and negotiate alternatives to war).

Now people may take issue with Carter's effectiveness as President, though it's not clear to me just how he was responsible for OPEC's oil embargo, or the Iranian hostage crisis, or the fact that the rescue failed because US military helicopter pilots were unable to avoid flying into one another. We should also keep in mind that he deregulated the beer industry and made it legal to sell malt, hopps, and yeast to home brewers for the first time since Prohibition; I think that offsets at least some of the bad stuff that happened during his time in office.

airdvr: accomplishments???
Since you assert all that Carter has done was accomplished by an "idiot", I'm sure you will be able to provide us with an even more impressive list of accomplishments that establish your intellectual superiority. I'm sure you have something to show, besides promoting a travel agency, to establish your credentials to proclaim Carter an "idiot".

Personally, I would have thought a discussion of the merits or lack thereof of talking to Hamas would have been more interesting than denigrating Carter's intelligence. However, you (airdvr) chose the topic for the thread. I hope you can defend it without showing yourself to be even more of an "idiot" than the messenger you chose to attack, rather than attack the message.

Don

Sorry...I am permitted to label anyone I choose as an idiot. I understand as a flaming liberal it makes your ass ache that anyone would call Jimmy an idiot. When you are POTUS you are responsible for it all; good, bad, indifferent. Most of the people who post here were sucking thumbs, filling diapers, or were just a nasty thought in daddy's mind during the Carter administration so all you really have is coming from Wiki or your university education. Therefore I won't debate Carter's presidency or his merits as a person. When he says shit like Hamas should be recognized he is a fucking idiot.

Wow...who would have thought demonizing Carter would evoke almost as much spittle laced diatribes as attacking the religion of AGW.

Destinations by Roxanne

Amazon

******Jimmy wasn't an idiot - he was extremely high functioning in many areas.

Of course they are.. but as has been stated one groups terrorists are another groups freedom fighters. Many of the founding fathers of Israel were seen as terrorists for their actions against the British as were many of our founding fathers seen the same way by the British of the late 18th century.

The people of Gaza elected them.... and seem to support them for now. What Carter is doing is encouraging a dialogue with the elected government.. that is not GOAT FUCK STUPID my dear..that is what is known as statesmanship and that is trying to get people to sit down and deal with reality. I do wish some people could parse reality a bit better but as we see by this thread it is beyond the capability of their limited abilities.

Isn't that something your beloved Barack should be doing?

Destinations by Roxanne

ryoder

Over the years, I've read many articles about the Carter administration, and they can all be distilled to 3 points:

1. Carter was an outsider in Washington. He had never served there as a representative nor a senator, so he had no established friends there, and did not know how the political machine worked.

2. He appointed people he knew, (and had worked with in the past), to administrative positions. Of course these were people from Georgia, so this only exacerbated problem #1.

3. He was a micromanager, and spent too much time dwelling on details that should have been delegated, and not enough time on the big picture.

That said, I still think Carter was probably the most decent human being to serve as POTUS in my lifetime, and the one who I would most want to be my next-door neighbor.

this is absolutely dead on target IMHO

However, his large view on social issues is destructive to society. But his local view is great - building homes and charity work is laudable. In his case, he should "think local, act local" and the stay the hell out of the limelight.

But even a nice guy like Jimmy got caught up in thinking he's on the big stage. He's got serious foot in mouth/ass syndrome now whenever he talks world view. And he's also become seriously partisan-dumb.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

ryoder

+1
I did not vote for the man and I served in the military with him as the commander in chief. The military in that time frame at the end of the South East Asian War Games was not a good place to be and ultimately led to my decision to exit the service and use my GI Bill.

Sorry...I am permitted to label anyone I choose as an idiot. I understand as a flaming liberal it makes your ass ache that anyone would call Jimmy an idiot. When you are POTUS you are responsible for it all; good, bad, indifferent. Most of the people who post here were sucking thumbs, filling diapers, or were just a nasty thought in daddy's mind during the Carter administration so all you really have is coming from Wiki or your university education. Therefore I won't debate Carter's presidency or his merits as a person. When he says shit like Hamas should be recognized he is a fucking idiot.

Wow...who would have thought demonizing Carter would evoke almost as much spittle laced diatribes as attacking the religion of AGW.

WOW:|

Such a lack of gravitas

airdvr

*********Jimmy wasn't an idiot - he was extremely high functioning in many areas.

Isn't that something your beloved Barack should be doing?

Well now... it does appear that you do not have a firm grasp of how diplomacy works do you. All modern presidents have used back channels and others outside their administration to try to make progress to solving international issues for things that they could not do in the full light of the press.

Perhaps you should stick to local water district politics since the international stage seems to be so confusing.

Amazon

All modern presidents have used back channels and others outside their administration to try to make progress to solving international issues for things that they could not do in the full light of the press.

though true - Obama would be super naive to try and use Jimmy for anything. Jimmy is way past his prime for this type of tasking. O is not that dumb to use him. Pretending or assuming this is scripted by the executive branch is silly.