maadmax

How can anyone say "God doesn't exist" ?

Where is the universal interpretation of the bible? The consensus? No matter how much I look for the truth in the bible I will always find something to contradict what I found in the same fucking book. How can this ever lead to any understanding of anything at all?

By our nature we are good and evil. Science accentuates who we are, but provides no solution for the evil that we struggle with. The Truth of the Bible is that God can cleanse us and save us from ourselves.

normiss

Come on Ron, you're smarter than that man.

Not really, if I hadn't found and experienced Jesus Christ I would have died many years ago as just another homeless alcoholic veteran. And I might add, with a MA degree and 876 jumps.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Nature does not have predefined ordered state but organizes itself according to laws of physics and evolution without a predetermined outcome.

Intelligent Design requires a pre defined goal, you know to design.

Evolution is not a law. It is a theory.

Lame-O.

Gravity, relativity, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics..... are all theories too. And they all work, just like evolution. There is more evidence for the operation of evolution than there is for the creation myth of ANY religion.

YOU are typing your posts on machines that only work on account of the success of scientific theories.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

RonD1120

Nature does not have predefined ordered state but organizes itself according to laws of physics and evolution without a predetermined outcome.

Intelligent Design requires a pre defined goal, you know to design.

A study of the Scripture in both the Hebrew and the Christian writings lead to the understanding that God had a pre-defined goal.

Well, evolution of man (how we got from single celled organisms in the primordial ooze to man and all the other species on earth) is a theory. It can not move beyond that because the steps in the process cannot be tested repeatedly to prove it scientifically.

But evolution as a process is proven. Scientifically proven. Tested repeatedly. It has laws that are followed (within the statistical probabilities).

Creationists often dismiss the process of evolution as "microevolution." But if you apply "microevolution" over millions and millions of years, you get...
The evolution of man and the rest of the species on earth.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

kallend

YOU are typing your posts on machines that only work on account of the success of scientific theories.

You are quite correct. But, not one of those theories ever gave me, or gives me now, peace beyond all understanding. Only Christ can do that.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

You are quite correct. But, not one of those theories ever gave me, or gives me now, peace beyond all understanding. Only Christ can do that.

How you get your inner peace is your business. We don't all have your demons to deal with.

kallend

How you get your inner peace is your business. We don't all have your demons to deal with.

Quite true again. I can only work with those who admit to their demons. Not much I can do for the others. And yet you keep confronting me as you have for about five years now. I suspect denial is a factor.

In this forum I can only observe the player. The ball just bounces back and forth.

RonD1120

It's statements like this that reveal the lack of scientific understanding that makes the creationist arguments so easy to refute.
At least some parts of christianity are waking up to the fact that Evolution and christianity can coexist.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

***Your odds are 50/50 for a correct choice. Eternity has no end.

Again, not even close, there are a huge number of equally valid religions - what if Islam has it right?

Its all the same thing. There is as much difference between Islam and Christianity as there is between republicans and democrats. Islam, Judaism and Christianity all evolved from the same source.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

Islam, Judaism and Christianity all evolved from the same source.

Well, only sort of. Since they're all in the fertile crescent they are vaguely related, but to say they "evolved" from the same source is stretching things quite a bit.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

RonD1120

******but imo, to call oneself an atheist, they must've had a negative personal experience with religion that gives rise to their reproach

And you would be wrong. Some people simply do not require the emotional crutch that religion provides.

You are absolutely correct. For those people all they have is the material here/now. Unless they change their mind, known as repentance, they are the lost.

Salvation is the only thing you can possibly take with you at death. Some believe salvation does not exist. Some believe salvation does exist. Your odds are 50/50 for a correct choice. E.

Wrong.

Humans have recognized tens of thousands of gods. Call the exact number "N".

You believe (N-1) of them don't exist. I believe N don't exist. Since N is large, the chance that you chose the right god, 1/(N), is tiny and very close to zero. So our odds of salvation are very similar indeed, and very very small.

kallend

Wrong.

Humans have recognized tens of thousands of gods. Call the exact number "N".

You believe (N-1) of them don't exist. I believe N don't exist. Since N is large, the chance that you chose the right god, 1/(N), is tiny and very close to zero. So our odds of salvation are very similar indeed, and very very small.

"You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't fuck around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

For years I asked God to do something about my noisy neighbor with the barking dog, Joe Pesci straightened that cocksucker out with one visit. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.

So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50."

-- George Carlin
B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Really sad that some of us, Americans, still believe in creationism and deny any sort of global warming(pollution).

If evolution is a theory, than ANY sort of religion is bigger theory. Bull shit theory without supporting facts.

Deny all you want. The ice is still melting on top of Mt. Kilimajaro, and bigger piece of ice is still melting at the north pole.

But fuck it, it is just a theory anyways, and we will only live till like 60,70, maybe 80, hopefully not 90. So none of this shit is our problem.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

normiss

Struggle? Nope.
Not at all.

You folks need to think what "we" means given the way you use it. Because it doesn't.

That is interesting if you actually believe it. "Us folks" are very aware how we use "we".
The interesting thing about evil it is difficult to spot in oneself , but the same evil is very
easy to spot in others.

This sums up religion - it's a personal 'feel good' thing. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I might be wrong Ron, but even if there was convincing evidence that the Christian God didn't exist you wouldn't stop believing because it is not about facts or logic but about how it makes you feel.

I think where non-believers have a problem with religion is when this personal feel good belief system tries to put itself in the middle of public policy and dictate how others should live.

RonD1120

I do believe it.
There is no such thing as "demons" or "evil".

It concerns me that not only to you hear and follow voices, but that you "see" evil in "others".

That's really quite disconcerting in my mind. Do you also own weapons? If your "god" told you to eliminate those of us with "evil" that you can "see", would you???
You wouldn't be the first.
:S:S:S

It concerns me that not only to you hear and follow voices, but that you "see" evil in "others".

That's really quite disconcerting in my mind. Do you also own weapons? If your "god" told you to eliminate those of us with "evil" that you can "see", would you???
You wouldn't be the first.

I hope I can be forgiven for speaking up here.

If you knew Max personally you would know how out of line your comment really is. You would know a gentle man who goes out of his way to help others. He's always first in line to work with newbies and try to spread his enthusiasm for the sport. I have never seen him be "preachy", harangue anyone about their faith or lack thereof, or even just raise his voice in anger. He takes his faith very seriously, but (as far as anything I have ever seen goes) he applies it to self improvement, not to making demands on others. He knows that my views on religion are basically opposite to his, yet he has never once trotted out the fore-and-brimstone, you better get right with God or burn in hell line of argument. I would be hard pressed to name a more honest or trustworthy person.

Normiss, generally I appreciate your posts and perspectives but this time your tip-toeing up to the line of PA comments are way out of line.

Don