kallend

F35 a $Trillion boondoggle

Anvilbrother

Screw the F-35 brink back the F-14 it was the sexiest plane ever. Hell Tom Cruise still looks good, lets have him make another Top Gun also!

You may have your wish: http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/95609/20140615/top-gun-2-release-date.htm
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Anvilbrother

Eisenhower warned us about this a long time ago.

He warned that the F-35 couldn't fly in inclement weather?:P

Also aboout people denying the holocaust.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I agree with his complaint that trying to build one to make all the branches of the military happy is a recipe for a very expensive program that doesn't make anyone truly happy. This, and the associated funding instability, have been the downfall of many programs in the past.

That said, his understanding of modern stealth and its combat function is lacking, his contempt for "electronic junk" is laughable, and his statements about the F-35 armament are patently false.

kallend

So says the co-designer of the F-16

past glory types often take a odd stance towards new design. Wozniak and Bill Joy often seem to shake their fist at youth.

But overall, the need to have air superiority thru technology superiority seems pointless based on our recent conflicts. The current gen offers us the ability to shoot down opposing fighters before they even know our guys are there, but where are the targets? Once we wiped out all of Iraq's air force and AA capability, the B52 was the most effective plane. Aside from selling our planes to Taiwan, Israel, etc, what's the point?

Anvilbrother

Screw the F-35 brink back the F-14 it was the sexiest plane ever. Hell Tom Cruise still looks good, lets have him make another Top Gun also!

I don't know about the relative merits of different fighter planes, but I'd love a ride in any of them.
My childhood dream was to be a fighter pilot but I didn't have the eyes for it *sniff*:(
Never try to eat more than you can lift

The F-4 was supposed to be all things to all people. It didn't need a gun.
By the time it's reign was over, we had the F-14, the F-15, the F-16. the F/A-18, and the A-10. They all had guns, and the F-4 had a gun pod.
The reason this keeps happening has nothing to do with stealth or armament and everything to do with who took a Congressman to lunch.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

kallend

Just for the benefit of the Military Industrial Complex.

So says the co-designer of the F-16

sploid.gizmodo.com/the-designer-of-the-f-16-explains-why-the-f-35-is-such-1591828468

Look, it may be unworkable, but at least it's unaffordable.

Outspending the enemy sure worked in Vietnam.

The Soviet Union also got great results from a military that served the dual purpose of an economic black hole.

We are NOT, repeat NOT, doing the same thing and expecting different results. This time it is truly different. We have Top Men in charge...

But overall, the need to have air superiority thru technology superiority seems pointless based on our recent conflicts.

It's naive to think we'll never face an enemy that has a technologically advanced air force.

Preparing for the last war instead of being prepared for the next is foolish.

- Dan G

DanG

But overall, the need to have air superiority thru technology superiority seems pointless based on our recent conflicts.

It's naive to think we'll never face an enemy that has a technologically advanced air force.

I am sure there is great hope in some of the chickenhawk quarters of a future conflict with Ivan or the chinks ( heard yesterday by a rabid follower of Infowars et al)

I am sure there is great hope in some of the chickenhawk quarters of a future conflict with Ivan or the chinks ( heard yesterday by a rabid follower of Infowars et al)

Regardless of whether there is hope, there is the possibility, and it seems more and more likely with the way Russia is acting lately.

- Dan G

Stumpy

***Screw the F-35 brink back the F-14 it was the sexiest plane ever. Hell Tom Cruise still looks good, lets have him make another Top Gun also!

I don't know about the relative merits of different fighter planes, but I'd love a ride in any of them.
My childhood dream was to be a fighter pilot but I didn't have the eyes for it *sniff*:(

Just the eyes? I didn't realise they made booster seats that big!

winsor

We have Top Men in charge...

Who?

Top.

Men.

Why are you so sexist?

No Top Women?>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

While the F-35 program clearly has problems, more so than even the typical hi tech program, the guy in the video - Pierre Spray - doesn't necessarily have the last word on anything.

While I haven't done any fact checking, one perceptive comment on the web page includes the following:

Pierre Sprey didn't design the F-16. Sprey has never 'designed' anything with wings, and he still doesn't know diddley-squat about aircraft design OR air warfare. He started at the Pentagon in 1966 as one of Robert S. McNamara's (the genius [/sarc] behind the TFX) "wiz kids."
[...]
He came to OSD/SA in 1966, where he declared himself an expert on military fighter aircraft, despite his lack of experience. Sprey admitted being a gadfly, a nuisance, and an automatic opponent of any program he was not a part of.

He was part of the "Fighter Mafia" that drafted the requirements that drove the F-16's design (lightweight, no radar). He played a bit role in developing top level requirements at OSD for a couple of years, basically parroting whatever John Boyd or Everest Riccione were hawking that day.
[...]
Sprey hasn't been directly involved in a DoD aircraft program since the early/mid 1970s, using 1960s technology. He comes from an era where electronics weren't reliable.

It's too easy to pile onto the F-35 now. "Do everything" planes have tended to have problems in the past. On the other hand, sometimes a large, capable aircraft has the stretch capability if the designers don't try to do everything at once, and thus run out of time to get the job done. Like the F-15, at one time "not a pound for air to ground", yet now available in capable air to ground versions too.

So I'm not so much against some of the design compromises (well, maybe the VTOL thing is a stretch), as being against the F-35 just getting so expensive and still not able to fulfill its basic functions.

Just an amateur opinion. My overall point is still that Pierre Spray isn't necessarily a prescient oracle, but maybe just someone who is a pessimist and eventually gets to say "I told you so!" for one project or another.

DanG

But spending a trillion dollars on a maybe standoff with China or Russia is a luxury we can no longer afford well. We have better uses for that money, or debt to pay off. It also buys a shit load of armed Predators.

But spending a trillion dollars on a maybe standoff with China or Russia is a luxury we can no longer afford well. We have better uses for that money, or debt to pay off. It also buys a shit load of armed Predators.

Obviously, one trillion dollars is way, way too much. I'm not saying that the F-35 is the answer.

I'm just saying that our air superiority shouldn't be assumed if we don't have the hardware to dominate any potential adversary.

- Dan G

DanG

Obviously, one trillion dollars is way, way too much. I'm not saying that the F-35 is the answer.

I'm just saying that our air superiority shouldn't be assumed if we don't have the hardware to dominate any potential adversary.

Depends on if you are asking what it is for and whose pockets get lined with the extra.

mr2mk1g

******Screw the F-35 brink back the F-14 it was the sexiest plane ever. Hell Tom Cruise still looks good, lets have him make another Top Gun also!

Just the eyes? I didn't realise they made booster seats that big!

:D:D:D

Bite me gigantor
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Depends on if you are asking what it is for and whose pockets get lined with the extra.

All of the great military hardware that the US brings to bear on its enemies was made by private companies. Companies making a profit is not evil, is it?

- Dan G