mpohl

World Cup 2014

turtlespeed

RIGHT!

and if they can officiate that the guy was OS by three inches, they can officiate an extra ten yards.

How?

Remember this is football, not handegg. You can't freeze everyone in place and get the tape measure out.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***RIGHT!

and if they can officiate that the guy was OS by three inches, they can officiate an extra ten yards.

How?

Remember this is football, not handegg. You can't freeze everyone in place and get the tape measure out.

Paint yard lines on the field and take timeouts for review over commercial breaks. Allow at least five timeouts per team, per half. Introduce a 2-minute warning as well, with a commercial break before injury time at the end of the half. Increase the size of the goals by at least 100% to allow for higher scorelines. This would make the game far more entertaining.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

******RIGHT!

How?

Paint yard lines on the field and take timeouts for review over commercial breaks. Allow at least five timeouts per team, per half. Introduce a 2-minute warning as well, with a commercial break before injury time at the end of the half. Increase the size of the goals by at least 100% to allow for higher scorelines. This would make the game far more entertaining.

How about cheerleaders in skimpy outfits?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Oh lord….
When I'm running line, it's hard enough to keep square at a full sprint with the second to last defender. You're suggesting I would need to stay with the attacker AND look back to see how far the defender is???

I do have to say that most club games don't interest me. World Cup is kind of like HS soccer games where it's a matter of Country (or school ) pride involved. There tends to be a lot more emotion and intensity to the games which do make it more exciting.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Oh lord….
When I'm running line, it's hard enough to keep square at a full sprint with the second to last defender. You're suggesting I would need to stay with the attacker AND look back to see how far the defender is???

No, I'm not suggesting that. He is.

I hope you're better at IDing players when you're handing out cards:P

Could we please go back to the World Cup.

And leave any American Football/ Basketball/ Baseball insights behind. They don't matter!

Chile : Spain. 2:0. NOW that matters!!!!

And that on average every player on the field runs about 6 mi. While maintaing control of the ball.

Have your average, 250 lbs NFL player run 6 mi in 90 min., and you can carry them to the ICU 30 min into it.

mpohl

Have your average, 250 lbs NFL player run 6 mi in 90 min., and you can carry them to the ICU 30 min into it.

Apples and Oranges.

Have your average soccer player get within 10 feet of an average NFL tackle and they'll be crying, moaning and twisting on the ground as if they'd been actually contacted or something.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

mpohl

And leave any American Football/ Basketball/ Baseball insights behind. They don't matter!

And that on average every player on the field runs about 6 mi. While maintaing control of the ball.

Cameroon just got their ass handed to them by Croatia.

It was interesting to watch, but hardly a nail-biter. It was like watching a High School Varsity team go up against Pros - no contest.

So you are saying the average NFL soccer player has a 10-ft force field around them? Making them impervious to any physical contact?

Interesting! I didn't know that. Thanks for educating me.

quade

***Have your average, 250 lbs NFL player run 6 mi in 90 min., and you can carry them to the ICU 30 min into it.

Apples and Oranges.

Have your average soccer player get within 10 feet of an average NFL tackle and they'll be crying, moaning and twisting on the ground as if they'd been actually contacted or something.

mpohl

Yep that absolutely matters, just as much as The Bryan Vikings beating A&M Consolidated.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

mpohl

So you are saying the average NFL soccer player has a 10-ft force field around them?

No. I'm saying that soccer players have a tendency to flop on the ground the second they think somebody might get near enough to hurt them. Even you have to admit that's a bullshit move.
quade -

quade

So you are saying the average NFL soccer player has a 10-ft force field around them?

No. I'm saying that soccer players have a tendency to flop on the ground the second they think somebody might get near enough to hurt them. Even you have to admit that's a bullshit move.

You mean like this?

I can't see an NFL or Rugby player playing at being this big a pussy.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

You mean like this?

I can't see an NFL or Rugby player playing at being this big a pussy.

You mean like Andy Haden Wales v All Blacks 1978 (approx 4 mins 40 secs in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r4iOOjOWL4
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

quade

Bert Trautmann would disagree.

quade

NFL players frequently fake injuries to get extra rest or other advantage during the game. It got so bad rules had to be changed to counter it.

I hate the flopping around in soccer, but stating it doesn't happen in the NFL isn't true.

Agreed.

Well that didn't last long.

SkyDekker

I hate the flopping around in soccer, but stating it doesn't happen in the NFL isn't true.

Nobody said it doesn't happen in the NFL, it's just that in soccer it happens a LOT more frequently.

American's tend not to like that sort of bullshit and when it's found out it's generally considered a bad thing.
quade -

quade

***I hate the flopping around in soccer, but stating it doesn't happen in the NFL isn't true.

Nobody said it doesn't happen in the NFL, it's just that in soccer it happens a LOT more frequently.

American's tend not to like that sort of bullshit and when it's found out it's generally considered a bad thing.

Here lets get religion, guns and sports into one post.:ph34r:

Real men don't dive

quade

Non-Americans don't like that bullshit either, and it's a matter of time until rules are put in place to neutralize/punish the behavior. Hopefully the imminent regime change at FIFA will expedite this.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

quade

***I hate the flopping around in soccer, but stating it doesn't happen in the NFL isn't true.

I don't see anything that convinces me that isn't true. People who don't like soccer just use that as a cudgel to bash the game with, while ignoring so much similar behavior in football and (especially) basketball.

It is true that different cultures have different feelings about this sort of "gamesmanship"
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Southern_Man

******I hate the flopping around in soccer, but stating it doesn't happen in the NFL isn't true.

I don't see anything that convinces me that isn't true. People who don't like soccer just use that as a cudgel to bash the game with, while ignoring so much similar behavior in football and (especially) basketball.

It is true that different cultures have different feelings about this sort of "gamesmanship"

The NBA has recently started fining players for doing that. Whether or not it ends up having any real impact has yet to be seen but at least they are trying to do something about it.

http://nba.si.com/2014/06/09/dwyane-wade-flop-fine-manu-ginobili-heat-spurs-finals/
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Southern_Man

******I hate the flopping around in soccer, but stating it doesn't happen in the NFL isn't true.

From American football fans' perspectives, a kick on the leg doesn't amount to much when they're used to seeing players go down with heavy tackles. Soccer is in fact a dangerous sport that risks damage to lower limbs in any encounter or even with bad footing alone; people who play it know this well. Unfortunately some professional players milk that risk for advantage by feigning injury, and those who don't know the game so well mistake real take-downs and injuries for theatrics. It's easy for the lines to get blurred.

quade

In his defence, I alluded to it . . . I have never seen it myself - EVERYONE has seen it in soccer.:D

quade

Well, there's a lot more actual playing time in soccer. How much actual time is spent IN PLAY in a typical NFL game? Eleven minutes according to a study reported in the WSJ. All the rest is spent standing around.

And since the deeefense has a different squad than the offense, the average player spends about 6 minutes actually in action.

All this action is compressed into approx. 3 hours and 20 minutes that the average NFL game lasts.