RonD1120

Pioneer or Settler Spirit

My pastor proposed a question to the congregation. Are you a pioneer or a settler? He further stated that pioneers tend to be the leaders and settlers tend to be the managers. I thought this question would be appropriate for exploration here.

Multiple poll choices permitted.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Different situAtions call for different roles. When you're out of unexplored land you need more settlers; when you have a group with more novices you might need a manager worse than you need a leader. A pioneer who has nowhere to explore and lacks the imagination to figure it out can be very disruptive.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

shropshire

I'm indigenous and resent you stealing my land :P:P:P

I do not understand what you are saying.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

wmw999

Different situAtions call for different roles. When you're out of unexplored land you need more settlers; when you have a group with more novices you might need a manager worse than you need a leader. A pioneer who has nowhere to explore and lacks the imagination to figure it out can be very disruptive.

Wendy P.

I think most people in America have become settlers. This spirit is reflected in our political environment. Liberals are gaining over Libertarians because they want the government to meet their needs. They have lost the need for a relationship with their Creator. These folks cannot survive well unless they have concrete and pavement under their feet.

Felix Baumgartner, IMO, is the last of the sport parachuting pioneers. His act is going to be hard to surpass.

When I starting parachuting the sport was young and we really did not know how the human physiology would react to long periods of freefall. We expected equipment malfunctions. We feared red outs and the dreaded flat spin. We needed to learn about every aspect of our gear.

I have never been satisfied where I was. I always wanted to experience something new. I have never been strongly motivated by money. I enjoy the fringe area of wherever I am.

I believe our society and country is in deep trouble.

Andy9o8

I looked at your poll choices, and gotta hand it to you: there are no other sensible choices; you've nailed them all.

Settler

RonD1120

***I'm indigenous and resent you stealing my land :P:P:P

Sorry Ron, it sounded clear in my head. What I means is that both pioneers and settlers 'often tend' to trump the rights of the folks that were already living there. (Since the very first migration, it has happened in many/all places in the world).

So maybe your poll should have another option.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

RonD1120

My pastor proposed a question to the congregation. Are you a pioneer or a settler? He further stated that pioneers tend to be the leaders and settlers tend to be the managers. I thought this question would be appropriate for exploration here.

Good question Ron, me? Pioneer spirit and leader and quite frankly its very hard to live a life that is true to those qualities in todays's age in a modern western nation or in a corporate environment. You're either born with the spirit of a pioneer or you aren't, leaders on the either hand are made. That said some are better leaders than others with the same training. Mostly people today confuse being a manager with being a leader, I hear it all the time, people on management teams being described as leaders. Often they couldn't even get their own families to follow them let alone any one else.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

RonD1120

***I looked at your poll choices, and gotta hand it to you: there are no other sensible choices; you've nailed them all.

Settler

I think there is still plenty of Pioneering left to do in this great place. Besides...just because someone else has done a particular thing before you doesn't mean you can't try yourself.

And all of this talk about pioneers and settlers brings me back to elementary school and the first ever video game I played.

Man I miss those times. Every now and then. :ph34r:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(video_game)

shropshire

******I'm indigenous and resent you stealing my land :P:P:P

Sorry Ron, it sounded clear in my head. What I means is that both pioneers and settlers 'often tend' to trump the rights of the folks that were already living there. (Since the very first migration, it has happened in many/all places in the world).

So maybe your poll should have another option.

Aren't you British? You are coming across as Native American. That is what is confusing me.

I was referring to motivating spirit not behavior consequence.

Skyrad

***My pastor proposed a question to the congregation. Are you a pioneer or a settler? He further stated that pioneers tend to be the leaders and settlers tend to be the managers. I thought this question would be appropriate for exploration here.

Good question Ron, me? Pioneer spirit and leader and quite frankly its very hard to live a life that is true to those qualities in todays's age in a modern western nation or in a corporate environment. You're either born with the spirit of a pioneer or you aren't, leaders on the either hand are made. That said some are better leaders than others with the same training. Mostly people today confuse being a manager with being a leader, I hear it all the time, people on management teams being described as leaders. Often they couldn't even get their own families to follow them let alone any one else.

My pastor was making the same connection as you. That is to say, pioneers tend to be leaders. I do not believe that is necessarily true. Furthermore, I do not believe that settlers tend to make good managers. I posted the question here to see the reaction.

I have always associated good leadership with good subservience. In other words, a good leader also knows when to follow and do their best in that capacity.

In my life, what I consider good or at least adequate leadership was not when I felt like a pioneer. The exception was becoming a freefall sport parachutist during my military service. I was not in an airborne unit and the Air Force did not consider the sport of any value at the time.

At any rate, I agree with you. Pioneering is difficult in modern western society.

shropshire

******I'm indigenous and resent you stealing my land :P:P:P

The town where she was born, like town where I was born
Was built by white settlers seeking gold and other treasures
Like me she feels uncomfortable in the clothing of her ancestors
"It's not easy" she would say, putting her fingers into the ashtray
"It's not easy to erase your blood"

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I have always associated good leadership with good subservience. In other words, a good leader also knows when to follow and do their best in that capacity.

In life you have to do one of three things, Lead, Follow or get out the way.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

A true leader knows when to assist and follow as well.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My pastor proposed a question to the congregation. Are you a pioneer or a settler?

I think virtually all "personality tests" and self categorizations create self-fulfilling prophesies tending to create more problems than solutions.

Once you've put yourself in a box, you've given others permission to keep you there.

Right about now Ron is probably asking a question like, "What could possibly be wrong with putting yourself into the boxes marked; Christian, Pioneer, Leader?" Well, the fact is, even if a person believes they are, they probably aren't and then there is a conflict between the reality and false vision they have of themselves.

For instance, the Pope is unquestionably a (type of) Leader and a Christian, he is not however a pioneer. By definition he can't be. He must be a follower of Christ and can't stray too far away from the teachings by "pioneering" too much either. While he can attempt to address some issues where the Church has strayed, like cleaning up the child molestation nonsense, his main function is to maintain the overall status quo.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

sfzombie13

i would have to say, simply by his actions and words, the the pope has no desire at all to maintain the status quo.

So . . . you think he might be into devil worship or something? ;) You think he's going to tear down the Vatican and replace it with a homeless shelter?

Nope. After this Pope is dust, the Catholic church will essentially be the same institution it has been for centuries. People might quibble over the difference between being actively against gays by the previous Pope and the live and let live feelings of this one, but fundamentally, nothing changes. If anything this Pope brings it closer to the center and the original teachings to judge not lest . . . yada, yada, yada.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

turtlespeed

A true leader knows when to assist and follow as well.

I agree
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

quade

My pastor proposed a question to the congregation. Are you a pioneer or a settler?

I think virtually all "personality tests" and self categorizations create self-fulfilling prophesies tending to create more problems than solutions.

Once you've put yourself in a box, you've given others permission to keep you there.

Right about now Ron is probably asking a question like, "What could possibly be wrong with putting yourself into the boxes marked; Christian, Pioneer, Leader?" Well, the fact is, even if a person believes they are, they probably aren't and then there is a conflict between the reality and false vision they have of themselves.

Everyone puts themselves in a box. Actually, it is a self defined sphere of consciousness. We all know what is on the inside of the sphere. The question, for me anyway, is, what is on the outside of the sphere?

RonD1120

Everyone puts themselves in a box.

I generally just let them tie me to the bed. Boxes are so confining.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun