normiss

If you support wefare recipient drug testing ...

JohnnyMarko

Lady in front of me in line last week bragged about doing this...I just shook my head at her....

Why?

Everyone should pay for someone else's pot habit.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It sounds like the issue isn't allowing people to use EBT cards for pot, it's allowing people to use EBT cards in ATM's in pot shops. (In other words, if this wasn't the case, you would have to go down the street to use your card instead.)

Is that all it is?

billvon

It sounds like the issue isn't allowing people to use EBT cards for pot, it's allowing people to use EBT cards in ATM's in pot shops. (In other words, if this wasn't the case, you would have to go down the street to use your card instead.)

Is that all it is?

The sign says they accept food stamps.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>The sign says they accept food stamps.

Right, but the article doesn't talk about that - it just talks about the ability of someone to use their EBT card in an ATM in the pot store vs. using it across the street. There might be a separate issue with food-stamps-for-pot but I didn't see that in the article.

Right, but the article doesn't talk about that - it just talks about the ability of someone to use their EBT card in an ATM in the pot store vs. using it across the street.

That's what I read too. Existing "problem" is allowing people to use EBT cards at ATMs in general.

ETA: Where's the outage about the same situation at Walmart where someone might use their EBT card to get cash to buy ammunition?
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

Right, but the article doesn't talk about that - it just talks about the ability of someone to use their EBT card in an ATM in the pot store vs. using it across the street.

That's what I read too. Existing "problem" is allowing people to use EBT cards at ATMs in general.

ETA: Where's the outage about the same situation at Walmart where someone might use their EBT card to get cash to buy ammunition?

billvon

Is that all it is?

I assume an EBT card is just like a Lone Star card...so why on earth would they be allowed to pulse actual money? That's absolutely stupid. Why can't they just use it at grocery stores for you know....food.

>I assume an EBT card is just like a Lone Star card...so why on earth would they be
>allowed to pulse actual money?

As I understand it, the card gives you access to different benefits. If you are getting SNAP for example (supplemental nutrition) or WIC (women-infants-children food program) it can only be used for food or non-alcoholic drinks. But if another state program is giving the user (for example) rent assistance you can use the card to withdraw cash to pay for rent. Which means you might be out of money in the rent assistance program, so the card would stop working at the ATM, but would still work for SNAP benefits at a supermarket.

In other words same card, but it accesses different programs.

>That's what I read too. Existing "problem" is allowing people to use EBT cards at ATMs in general.

Here's the story on the story:
================
Fox Pretends Coloradans Can Buy Pot With Food Stamps
January 21, 2014 1:33 PM EST
TYLER HANSEN

Fox News seized on Colorado's legalization of recreational use and sale of marijuana to stoke fears -- while offering no evidence -- that low-income Americans could use food stamps to buy marijuana. In fact, food stamp recipients are barred from purchasing non-food items, cannot withdraw food stamps as cash, and fraud in the program is extremely rare.

After a Colorado law allowing the legal sale of marijuana went into effect in 2014, an urban myth spread that Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, commonly known as food stamps) recipients could use electronic benefits transfer (EBT) cards to withdraw SNAP benefits as cash at ATMs located in marijuana dispensaries in order to buy marijuana. Colorado senate Republicans introduced a bill to ban the use of EBT cards at those ATMs, but the bill failed after Democratic lawmakers raised concerns about restricting recipients' access to benefits in areas with few ATMs.

Despite lack of evidence and the failure of the bill, Fox News continued perpetuating the myth that SNAP recipients can use benefits to buy marijuana. The January 21 edition of Fox & Friends included on-screen text that read, "Food stamps for pot!" Another line of text claimed that the bill would "ban food stamps at pot shops."

Fox & Friends co-host Brian Kilmeade introduced the segment by asking, "Can people collecting food stamps in Colorado add marijuana to their shopping lists?" and answering,"Right now the answer is yes."

In fact, the answer to Kilmeade's question is no. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the agency that administers SNAP, recipients are only allowed to use benefits to purchase approved food items and are barred from purchasing alcohol, tobacco, and non-food items. The USDA also makes clear that SNAP benefits can't be used to withdraw cash from ATMs (emphasis original):

"SNAP benefits can never be withdrawn as cash. Many States allow clients to use a single EBT card to access SNAP as well as cash benefit programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). In most States, cash benefits from other programs can be accessed through ATMs."
===============

labrys

right here. It's too easy to convert EBT benefits into cash. There was a dust-up here in Austin about EBT cards paying for strippers. While I'll applaud ingenuity, if they have money for strippers (or ammunition), they shouldn't need the EBT card.
--
Rob

Here's the story on the story:

The ultimate story on the story is that if we (I) donate a warm blanket, a couple of cans of tuna, and a winter coat to someone who's homeless, cold, and hungry, I'm either freeing up their limited disposable cash to buy candy, alcohol, and pot... or maybe I'm just helping them not be as cold, homeless, and hungry.

Will a couple of idiots out of a thousand people be complete dicks and buy hookers and blow? I guess. I guess I'll use that as an excuse not to help anyone. Not.
Owned by Remi #?

if they have money for strippers (or ammunition), they shouldn't need the EBT card.

I couldn't agree more. Where is the line drawn though? Should we refuse to give anyone this benefit if 1 person in 10,00 abuses it. One in 5000? One in 2500? One in 1000?

It sucks

ETA: To rant on... I'm one of the least creative and artistic people that I've ever met by the standards that many of us judge artistic and creative... but I'm a very successful communications engineer. And one of the most primary things that inspired me to be an engineer was looking at the detail of the artwork that the government funded when I was a kid.

There's value in so much of the stuff "we" consider frivolous. I pay more in federal taxes than a minimum wage earner "earns. Mostly because I stood in awe of a federally funded piece of art when I was a kid and saw the science and alchemy of it if not quite getting the creative part of it.

It's just really fucking complicated.
Owned by Remi #?

billvon

>I assume an EBT card is just like a Lone Star card...so why on earth would they be
>allowed to pulse actual money?

As I understand it, the card gives you access to different benefits. If you are getting SNAP for example (supplemental nutrition) or WIC (women-infants-children food program) it can only be used for food or non-alcoholic drinks. But if another state program is giving the user (for example) rent assistance you can use the card to withdraw cash to pay for rent. Which means you might be out of money in the rent assistance program, so the card would stop working at the ATM, but would still work for SNAP benefits at a supermarket.

In other words same card, but it accesses different programs.

Yes, this is conceptually correct. All of the rent assistance programs that I am aware of the rent subsidy is paid directly to the landlord, though. TANF is the largest program that I know of that is a straight cash benefit.

People can also get SSI or SSDI benefits on a debit/credit card, although that is a separate card and most people choose to get those benefits direct deposited into a checking account.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

tkhayes

I have learned not to put too much credence into headlines. The headline and picture is obviously trying to persuade the reader that people are getting free pot on the taxpayers tab. When in fact, no such thing is actually happening.

Dont jump off the deep end and say it ISNT happening. It could be happening on a small scale but that doesnt mean it isnt happening at all. If they allow people to have these cards and pulse money out anything is possible as to what they can buy with it. Which is why I think its assinine that any cash would be able to be dispensed from these cards.

regulator

Dont jump off the deep end and say it ISNT happening. It could be happening on a small scale but that doesnt mean it isnt happening at all. If they allow people to have these cards and pulse money out anything is possible as to what they can buy with it. Which is why I think its assinine that any cash would be able to be dispensed from these cards.

So you shouldn't be able to get cash from your cash benefit?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"