ianmdrennan

Interesting read on GOP/Science

billvon

>So all those with liberal arts and psychology degrees are useless then.'

They are pretty useless if you want to design bridges - but pretty useful if you want to be a psychologist.

So liberal arts?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

jclalor

Being uneducated is the new badge of honor in today's GOP, look at all the grief Obama got for even suggesting that everyone should receive a college education.

Because that was a stupid suggestion. If you need a degree for a job, you'll get the degree or you'll find a different job. You don't need a degree to do the overwhelming majority of the work out there. The only real-world change everyone going to college would be is causing "degree inflation". If everyone has a degree, a degree becomes worthless unless it's a MS/MA or better.

Not to mention, quite frankly, most of the fucking retards out there shouldn't have graduated from high school.

Heaven knows if I could get 4 years of my life and $50k back and the only downside is I don't have a stupid piece of paper, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Especially since I left an exceptionally well-paying job to go back to school in order to make my family happy. Stupidest fucking decision I have ever made in my life.
cavete terrae.

turtlespeed

College doesn't make you a better negotiator. It doesn't give you more native intelligence, or give you better judgment. It just makes you better at a task, like engineering or medicine or architecture or writing.

Hmmm.

So all those with liberal arts and psychology degrees are useless then.'
Gotcha

Burger King still needs workers.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

College doesn't make you a better negotiator. It doesn't give you more native intelligence, or give you better judgment. It just makes you better at a task, like engineering or medicine or architecture or writing.

Hmmm.

So all those with liberal arts and psychology degrees are useless then.'
Gotcha

Burger King still needs workers.

Yep. They do.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***>So all those with liberal arts and psychology degrees are useless then.'

They are pretty useless if you want to design bridges - but pretty useful if you want to be a psychologist.

So liberal arts?

I've heard it said that a liberal arts education teaches how to communicate. To sift through information, assemble the appropriate parts and present them in a way that conveys what you want to say.

Maybe not worth the price, but certainly not "worthless."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

******>So all those with liberal arts and psychology degrees are useless then.'

So liberal arts?

I've heard it said that a liberal arts education teaches how to communicate. To sift through information, assemble the appropriate parts and present them in a way that conveys what you want to say.

As in "Do you want fries with that?"

wolfriverjoe

Maybe not worth the price, but certainly not "worthless."

My stepson has a degree in performance music. It cost his parents over $200,000. After 2 years unemployed he is now making $15/hour making bread in a Chicago restaurant.

My stepdaughter is about to graduate with a degree in "womens studies". No prospect whatever for a job. It will have cost her mother over $140,000. ROI - negligible.

My own son has a BS and MS in computer science. He is a manager for Oracle. He makes as much annually as his entire college education including graduate school cost.

Those sound like poor educational/cost choices. Someone should have had a difficult discussion with them before they started. Of course, if the loans are in their names, they they're paying a tall tax.

Of course, I have one of those ridiculous liberal arts degrees. It was very valuable to me, frankly. I think people have changed far less in the last 40 or so years than technology.

I did have to be able to learn the technology, though. And a liberal arts degree made me less marketable in a technical world, but within the company it was no problem at all.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

billvon

>So liberal arts?

If I want someone to run a local community theater, I'm probably going to go with the chick with the liberal arts degree over the one with a BSEE or a psychology degree.

Honestly, if you want the theator to run and make a profit, I'd go with the Business major or the Finance major.

He can contract the liberal arts major to supervise the production I guess.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***>So liberal arts?

If I want someone to run a local community theater, I'm probably going to go with the chick with the liberal arts degree over the one with a BSEE or a psychology degree.

Honestly, if you want the theator to run and make a profit...

Who do you hire if you want it to put on challenging minimalist productions mixed with interpretive dance and survive off a government arts grant?:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

******>So liberal arts?

Honestly, if you want the theator to run and make a profit...

Who do you hire if you want it to put on challenging minimalist productions mixed with interpretive dance and survive off a government arts grant?:P

Ron motherfuckin' Swanson
cavete terrae.

Honestly, if you want the theator to run and make a profit, I'd go with the Business major or the Finance major.

You need a EE who can install a kick-ass laser light show. Theater without lasers isn't theater at all.

- Dan G

billvon

It also is a good way to winnow the really dumb people out. In other words, college doesn't turn dumb people into smart ones - but the dumb ones generally don't make it through. Thus overall college grads tend to be somewhat smarter. This does not, of course, apply to people who never went to college to begin with.

Dumb honest people. Anyone can cheat, regardless of intelligence.

Though to be fair, the dumber are more likely to be caught. ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.