shropshire

No you can't walk you kids home ... WTF?

Like most of the times when I see things like this my guess is there's a lot more to the story than what is being reported. Like, why is it that all of these parents feel the need (or have a valid need) to pick up their kids in a car? Is it that there really is a rule in place they can ONLY be picked up in a car? I seriously doubt it. In fact the story says there is a waiver the parents can sign to let the kids walk home by themselves. Is it the distance they live from the school and the city no longer has school busses? No, that can't be it because the story also mentions busses.

So, really what the story comes down to is a guy who agreed with the system as it was until this one day and then decided to essentially cut in line in front of other people.

Okay, so the rent-a-cop is over the line, but so is the dad for trying to use some sort of walking loophole to cut in line.

This problem doesn't exist in the first place without parents being awful to begin with.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Like most of the times when I see things like this my guess is there's a lot more to the story than what is being reported.

It's an anti-car rant site. I'm sure you're correct.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

yup... there is usually more to the story. True. Can't jump to judgement based on a one-sided article and some assumptions.

When I see people jump to conclusions based on a one-sided article and some assumptions they've added on their own I think of the old Benny Hill saying about assuming.

At least you seem to acknowledge there is a problem. But it's dubious as it's couched in another assumption.
--
Rob

i don't see it as "cutting in line". i see it as trying to alleviate a problem. the article mentions a mile long line of cars on a busy highway. and to use personal references, the situation with cars and picking up students around here is way out of hand. they have cops stopping traffic and waving cars out at the high school down the street.

now, granted, there may (and probably is) more to it. but, using occam's razor, sometimes it really is just that simple.

Did you watch the video? There is no walking 'loophole', the parent(s) sign the waiver allowing the kids to be released from the school on foot after the school is over. The mall-cop loses a verbal argument and then applies 'disorderly conduct' to win.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

The way I understood it is that the school just recently started this new policy because of all the stories in the news that revolve around schools.
So the school implemented a new policy and didn't even think to add another lane in front of the building and instead parents line up on the shoulder, which in and of itself isn't the safest place to be parking.
Now if this guy had parked his car and walked the last few feet in order to beat the system and avoid the line I would agree that he is partially to blame for the situation that happened but...
He didn't park and then walk up ...
He actually walked to the school to get his kids. I guess he's within walking distance. If that's the case then how else would he get his kids?
You can't really go stand behind the last car in line and stay in the line as if you were in a car.

Now if this guy had parked his car and walked the last few feet in order to beat the system and avoid the line I would agree that he is partially to blame for the situation that happened but...
He didn't park and then walk up ...

Are you sure? What I'm seeing in that video is one slice of time and one point of view. The video picks up with him already in the office. The parent tells the cop he's walking, but certainly didn't say from where.

I guess he's within walking distance.

Yep. That's a guess. My guess is, I think, more likely. That rather than "standing in line" he parked his car nearby and walked from there rather than wait.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

BIGUN

The father had an agenda. He boned up on the State codes and brought a separate videographer to record.

You are probably right, but he wouldn't have, if this was the first incident. This stuff doesn't just happen, and then we hear about it out of the blue.

Good for him! IMO, it shouldn't matter what method a parent uses to pick up a child, as long as all laws are being observed.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

When he called his lawyer, it SEEMED like he had this planned, and his lawyer was on board with it.

He was going to proceed as planned.

I guess he is trying to get stuff changed and is being a conscientious objector.

The rule seems naive, not very well thought out, and restrictive.

It appears, from the form shown, that there is no option for a child to be picked up on foot.

Maybe he is against this for pollution reasons or time and efficiency reasons.

Either way, the rules as they are appear to me to be ridiculous.

As far as the cop goes, he lost the argument on basis of the law, as was mentioned above, and pulled the "I'm a cop and you are not right when I am involved" card.

I hope the cop is fined, reprimanded and the father is compensated for his time and legal fees.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I agree with both you and Turtle... But, I still wonder if he went from 0 to 100 mph in 5.0 and if there was an attorney involved - why didn't the attorney just send the school a letter? There are more ways to change dumb ass school policies than having a YouTube moment.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

I agree with both you and Turtle... But, I still wonder if he went from 0 to 100 mph in 5.0 and if there was an attorney involved - why didn't the attorney just send the school a letter? There are more ways to change dumb ass school policies than having a YouTube moment.

Not these days ... welcome to the modern world.

why pay for a lawyer .. just ignore the stupid school 'rules' they're not law (surely :S) - why was a cop involved anyway?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Because we live in a time where children are required to have police protection on campus. Last year, my kid's school had two attempts of two different intruders trying to get in the locked doors during school hours... in two days. Welcome to the modern world. :S

Homeschooling Growing Seven Times Faster than Public School Enrollment

From the comments: "I dont think there is an economic benefit that can outweigh preventing your child from being a victim of bullying, gun violence, drugs , and molestation., plus getting a crappy education from public school."

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

but so is the dad for trying to use some sort of walking loophole to cut in line.

Some sort of walking loophole? WTF does that mean?

Cutting in line would be driving down the side of the queue and then forcing into a gap. If anything, walking to the gates would reduce the line.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

but so is the dad for trying to use some sort of walking loophole to cut in line.

Some sort of walking loophole? WTF does that mean?

Cutting in line would be driving down the side of the queue and then forcing into a gap. If anything, walking to the gates would reduce the line.

applying logic to an illogical situations is naught but folly.:P

(.)Y(.)

BIGUN

Yup.

You could donate $1,000,000 with strings attached, $1,100,000 with strings attached, $1,200,000 with strings attached, etc.

You could pay a good lawyer $800/hour, a decent lawyer $400/hour, or a less experienced litigator $200/hour to fight it in court.

Or you could go for public outrage with a low cost video and free post to youtube.

How much did the whole going to jail over a week old policy that he hadn't even tried thru regular channels first cost him? And, guess what.. when he tried calling his old buddy the Sheriff... not only was he too busy to talk; but in the end, the Sheriff defended his Deputy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3bDxYve3FA

BIGUN

How much did the whole going to jail over a week old policy that he hadn't even tried thru regular channels first cost him? And, guess what.. when he tried calling his old buddy the Sheriff... not only was he too busy to talk; but in the end, the Sheriff defended his Deputy.

It shouldn't have been a policy to begin with. Day 1 it should have been challenged by a parent walking up and saying I'm taking my kid home.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

devildog

***How much did the whole going to jail over a week old policy that he hadn't even tried thru regular channels first cost him? And, guess what.. when he tried calling his old buddy the Sheriff... not only was he too busy to talk; but in the end, the Sheriff defended his Deputy.

It shouldn't have been a policy to begin with. Day 1 it should have been challenged by a parent walking up and saying I'm taking my kid home.

That is a school policy of which I am familiar that are the result of automotive chaos at the end of the school day, probably more than one child either being hurt or close to becoming hurt by a vehicle, parents getting out of their cars and threatening each other, neighborhood safety, blocking the neighborhood because everyone wants to grab johnny and take off, so there is no sense of order.

I live a block from the school and everyone's thought of they're more entitled to be first without being in line is ridiculous. Two final points; this type of policy is usually a reaction to a series of situations and in "most cases" not without a parents being invited to discussion at the school board meetings to discuss the matter.... in which 99% of the time; the parents don't show.

quade

Like most of the times when I see things like this my guess is there's a lot more to the story than what is being reported. Like, why is it that all of these parents feel the need (or have a valid need) to pick up their kids in a car? Is it that there really is a rule in place they can ONLY be picked up in a car? I seriously doubt it. In fact the story says there is a waiver the parents can sign to let the kids walk home by themselves. Is it the distance they live from the school and the city no longer has school busses? No, that can't be it because the story also mentions busses.

So, really what the story comes down to is a guy who agreed with the system as it was until this one day and then decided to essentially cut in line in front of other people.

Okay, so the rent-a-cop is over the line, but so is the dad for trying to use some sort of walking loophole to cut in line.

This problem doesn't exist in the first place without parents being awful to begin with.

You obviously aren't very familiar with schools, busing and/or dismissal procedures in the current day and age.
Maybe you should hang around a school at dismissal time for a week before you comment.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

BIGUN

******How much did the whole going to jail over a week old policy that he hadn't even tried thru regular channels first cost him? And, guess what.. when he tried calling his old buddy the Sheriff... not only was he too busy to talk; but in the end, the Sheriff defended his Deputy.

That is a school policy of which I am familiar that are the result of automotive chaos at the end of the school day, probably more than one child either being hurt or close to becoming hurt by a vehicle, parents getting out of their cars and threatening each other, neighborhood safety, blocking the neighborhood because everyone wants to grab johnny and take off, so there is no sense of order.

I live a block from the school and everyone's thought of they're more entitled to be first without being in line is ridiculous. Two final points; this type of policy is usually a reaction to a series of situations and in "most cases" not without a parents being invited to discussion at the school board meetings to discuss the matter.... in which 99% of the time; the parents don't show.

I've also seen school policies where balls are banned from the schoolyard because of a series of situations, usually involving someone getting hit by a ball when they weren't watching. I don't agree with that, either. And I believe from the coverage I saw that that was a play by the principal without input from anyone else (the ball situation, not the walking/driving situation, which I only know of through the media coverage). If it's not a board policy, I doubt it would be covered at a board meeting, unless people raised objections after they found out about it. It 'might' be brought up with the school council beforehand, but again, principals do seem to have dictatorial powers in their own schools - coming up with their own solutions that are sometimes totally opposite to what school board policies might be.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

You obviously aren't very familiar with schools, busing and/or dismissal procedures in the current day and age.
Maybe you should hang around a school at dismissal time for a week before you comment.

Judges and cops don't like you doing that either

(.)Y(.)