turtlespeed

Negotiations

Obama Negotiates with Russia
Obama Negotiates with Syria
Obama Negotiates with Taliban
Obama Negotiates with al qaeda

Obama for some reason will not negotiate with House Republicans though . . . why is that?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Obama for some reason will not negotiate with House Republicans though . . . why is that?

My understanding is that House Republicans have refused to negotiate up until very recently. Probably since they figured out they appear to be getting the blame for the shut down.

Somwhere in there is probably your answer.

The President has said that it's not negotiable. Harry Reid has said it's not negotiable. It's their way or the highway. Period.

A smart move on their part. The GOP is such a mess they can't agree on a damned thing. Obama and Reid are very content to just say no, sit back and watch the GOP fight each other.

Harry Reid has just said that unrestricted funding of the entire government will be the only solution. It's either everything or nothing. How do you negotiate that? You don't.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

It's either everything or nothing. How do you negotiate that? You don't.

whichever one they pick, you have to pick the other

and then meet in the middle somewhere

it's a crappy tactic and childish

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

turtlespeed

I dunno, but if you're comparing the Republican party to terrorists you may already have your answer. He's finding them to be more reasonable.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

rehmwa

***It's either everything or nothing. How do you negotiate that? You don't.

It's politics. And it works. It's what people want. Think about it - quade is suggesting that Al Qaeda is easier to deal with than Republicans. The public eats this stuff up.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

******It's either everything or nothing. How do you negotiate that? You don't.

It's politics. And it works. It's what people want. Think about it - quade is suggesting that Al Qaeda is easier to deal with than Republicans. The public eats this stuff up.

Just wait until Jon Stewart picks up on it. People really eat his schtick up.

turtlespeed

The silliness of such a statement is that the two parties negotiate every day Congress is in session, and many more beyond that.

I'm trying to remember when a President or a party has needed to negotiate with the opposition on legislation that is already enacted. The GOP under Newt didn't try to pretend the 1994 AWB wasn't real. They just waited for it to die.

And I know it has nothing to do with the debt ceiling expansion bills that come up every few years. Fucking with the economy (to claim "look! lower GDP growth!") is a high stakes game of poker with the American voters, esp those still looking for work.

jclalor

What's to negotiate, convene congress and take a vote to keep the government running, without anything else attached. The majority of the Congress would vote to keep it running, but do to the Hastert rule, they even even take a vote.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority_of_the_majority

Or discuss the items individually, or in smaller packets.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

***What's to negotiate, convene congress and take a vote to keep the government running, without anything else attached. The majority of the Congress would vote to keep it running, but do to the Hastert rule, they even even take a vote.

So when the majority in congress cannot even vote on an issue, you think that's a good thing?

jclalor

******What's to negotiate, convene congress and take a vote to keep the government running, without anything else attached. The majority of the Congress would vote to keep it running, but do to the Hastert rule, they even even take a vote.

So when the majority in congress cannot even vote on an issue, you think that's a good thing?

It is so much more complicated than what you suggest.

I think that the delay in implementation of a bad law is good.
I think that standards held to some and not others are not usually good.
I think that Congress should be held to the same EXACT standards as the layman.
I think the President should quit posturing and negotiate with the House to come to a resolution.
I think the President should keep to his "Transparency" doctrine he ran on.
I think the President should Man UP and tell the nation that he lied and that the HC costs he touted as being 2500 per year less is actually on average 7500 more per year.
Then he should let the bill lie dormant until there is a better solution.

quade

***Obama Negotiates with Russia

I dunno, but if you're comparing the Republican party to terrorists you may already have your answer. He's finding them to be more reasonable.

So Russia is a terrorist?

I wasn't . . . even though you may consider them that. Which shows a lot, really.

But if he can negotiate with such nefarious characters, you would think he might find the time to negotiate with his peers.[:/]

Wait . . . wasn't the US policy that we NEVER negotiate with terrorists?
Wow. I guess that is just one more thing that Obama went against the majority in the US on.[:/]

So he'll break the long standing rule that we don't negotiate with terrorists, but negotiating with own peers is out.

He can have a beer summit with a professor and a cop, but the Majority leader of the House of Representatives - No Way!

Gotcha.

jclalor

******What's to negotiate, convene congress and take a vote to keep the government running, without anything else attached. The majority of the Congress would vote to keep it running, but do to the Hastert rule, they even even take a vote.

The biggest issue is neither chamber did it's constitutionaly required budget bills
but they like this because they can use the CR's and increase gov spending without anyone knowing what is really going on
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

The biggest issue is neither chamber did it's constitutionaly required budget bills
but they like this because they can use the CR's and increase gov spending without anyone knowing what is really going on

It has been years since Congress passed a budget. There was an Omnibus bill in 2009. The last time we had a real budget passed in the normal way was 1997.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Southern_Man

It has been years since Congress passed a budget. There was an Omnibus bill in 2009. The last time we had a real budget passed in the normal way was 1997.

Yep
And they are getting away with this
Abraham Lincoln

Evidently Obama is going to meet now that he is starting to look bad by not.

It's all about image and perception, nothing about what's best for country.>:(

turtlespeed

Evidently Obama is going to meet now that he is starting to look bad by not.

It's all about image and perception, nothing about what's best for country.>:(

EVERYTHING for him, is in the context of political advantage

As it is for many political critters

On both sides
Abraham Lincoln

For everyone's situational awareness.
The following organizations have been awarded contracts as "navigators" to "help" all of us sign up for Obamacare.

1. Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
2. ACORN
3. Planned Parenthood

This information can be verified through a Google search.