jgoose71

Self Defense: Right or Privilege?

Bignugget

Maybe the problem is you consider avoiding violent conflict 'running like a pansy' and I consider it smart shit to do.

Absolutely not. I've avoided very many acts of aggression by walking away, been in only one fight and it wasn't directly related to me. I think fighting is stupid and a good way to screw your own life up.

Having said that though, running out the back door isn't always an option...there's a good chance that someday you'll have to defend yourself or someone else and cannot run. What then?
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Bignugget

Maybe the problem is you consider avoiding violent conflict 'running like a pansy' and I consider it smart shit to do.

We are coming from two different starting points.

are you expecting to be single forever?

Well, if the would be family knows how much (little) you feel for them, sounds like the answer is yes.

The minute there are 2 people in the house, this run out the back door plan becomes woefully inadequate.

kelpdiver

Well, if the would be family knows how much (little) you feel for them, sounds like the answer is yes.

The minute there are 2 people in the house, this run out the back door plan becomes woefully inadequate.

He could always use his boyfriend as a shield.

Bignugget

******well I would just run right out the back door.

Is that what you would do if you had a family in your house too? Run for the back door and let them handle themselves? Someday you might change your mind and want the right to defend yourself and your family instead of run like a little pansy. Hopefully by then, people like you haven't stripped us from that right.

--------------------------------
you'll think it's 'smart shit' until you get shot in the back running away screaming.

I don't think that question can really be answered until one is in the moment. I'd rather not deal with all that goes along with killing someone if I can avoid it.

I would, too. I'd also rather not deal with malfunctions, particularly the ugly ones without clear answers.

But by thinking about them sometimes, I come up with mental alternatives, and (probably more importantly) I eliminate ones that seem less likely to work when I actually think about them.

In the same way, I've come up with some thoughts on what to do for self-defense for me and mine. It's not perfect, but it's thought through to some degree, and it's all stuff I'm willing to do, answer for, and stand up for.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I never said I had a solution, but I am also suggested that gun lobby does not have one either.

more guns = more people getting shot with guns. The USA demonstrates it clearly, and would demonstrate even MORE clearly if the CDC had not been defunded to do any sort of research on the subject.

And happen to believe that people should be free to test their capabilities.

given that sort of logic, I should then be allowed to freely test my capabilities as a neurosurgeon without ANY REPERCUSSIONS whatsoever, for the results of my actions.

Yours is a philosophy based on a mistrust of people.

We 'freely accept' regulations in may parts of our lives every single day because we do not 'trust people'. From drugs to speeding, to filing your tax returns, to handshake business deals with a simple signed contract. The 2nd Amendments' biggest flaw is that it assumes that everyone is capable and responsible when handling a firearm. And they are not.

not even close. Not remotely so.

quade

***Both a drill and a hand gun are equally dangerous.

Negative.

Obviously, you have never experienced enhanced interrogation.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

tkhayes

I never said I had a solution, but I am also suggested that gun lobby does not have one either.

the gun lobby's solution is to side with the people and the constitution, not the criminals.

more guns = more people getting shot with guns. The USA demonstrates it clearly, and would demonstrate even MORE clearly if the CDC had not been defunded to do any sort of research on the subject.

No, your statement is demonstrably false. Crime has been declining for 2 decades in spite of record gun sales. It's pretty clear that we have more than enough guns already for the criminals.

The CDC shat in its bed and paid the price for doing so, trying to mix politics with science. Gun violence is not a disease.

define 'crime'. more people get killed by handguns in the USA every year that any other country (civilized) in the world. fact, indisputable, bar none, that is the reality.

I understand COMPLETELY that the Constitution is there to allow this, however, the gun lobby DOES NOT have a solution to 8000 people getting killed by handguns every year.

that is my point. I never claimed to have a solution, but I also assert once again, in the face of whatever twisted definitions you might care to try and put on all the 'facts' that you claim to have, the USA has a higher death-by-gun rate that most countries in the civilized world.

and that is a problem IMO, and that is obviously NOT a problem in your opinion.

My previous statements stand. The constitution allows assholes to carry guns and they can act recklessly and irresponsibly. Army Rangers can carry guns, (as well as others that are highly trained in the art of gun play) and they are less of a problem. The USA would be better off if 270,000,000 guns were in the hands of well trained people instead of assholes.

I understand that you stand by your 'rights. That does not mean that there is a 'problem'. Politicians have the 'right' to tkae money from large corporations and then ignore the people that put them in office. It is their 'right'. It does not mean that there is not a 'problem'.

And the gun debate helps to make my larger case that Americans especially really do not give a fuck about human life, despite their repeated claims that they do.

Every year we make CHANGES to help alcohol abuse and drug policies.

Every year we make CHANGES to help smoking and the results of it

Every year we make CHANGES to help heart disease.

seemingly every year we REGRESS on guns.....

thanks for making my point. Not only do you agree that we do not care about human life, you also support my argument that the gun lobby is not willing to change even if it might help the numbers.

And I notice you did not dispute my point about the USA having the highest gun-by-death rate in the civilized world.

12 more today. yippee.....

there are more guns on the streets and there are no/few new regulations to control them. There are more people being killed by guns than there were 30 years ago. However, for example, there are fewer people dying of smoking that 30 years ago.

And there are fewer people dying from heart disease than 30 years ago. So perhaps (in some cases) we do actually care and ACT regarding the value of human life. The 'Action' we take for guns is to further deregulate them (assault weapons ban, recalling politicians etc), and put more of them out there and then claim that the USA is safer :S.

point made.

Why do you think we need increased gun control - based on simple sales numbers?
Your 'assault weapon ban was a useless waste of time. Poor example. Although it does seem to have started the whole "OMFG that gun is SCARY!!! We MUST DO SOMETHING!!!!!"
When in reality they are no different than hunting rifles.

We gonna start talking numbers and statistics now?
We do get to include how they have been massaged and manipulated, don't we?!

I wonder how many 'anti-gun', 'anti-defend yourself effectively' posters on here would change their mind if they were to be attacked and had fear for their or their loved ones' lives?

eta: It's all fun and games hypotheticals until it happens to YOU!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

I wonder how many 'anti-gun', 'anti-defend yourself effectively' posters on here would change their mind if they were to be attacked and had fear for their or their loved ones' lives?

I wonder how many actually own firearms, but would never admit it. There has been more than one anti-gun liberal politician caught with a firearm. ....bad PR.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

oldwomanc6

Looking back through the posts, almost everyone here believes that self defense is a right, however, it seems the liberals think that you should be able to defend yourself without hurting your attacker...

It's always fun to watch liberal ideals trying to be applied in the real world....:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

kelpdiver

A significant other could run out the door with me, its a normal sized door not a tiny doggy door.

Maybe I just under-estimate the time it takes for 2 random burglars to fight 2 80 lb shepherds....but I think I can make it the 25 feet to the back door, could probably get a significant other there as well.

Ill leave it to the imagination as to the sex of the significant other, since that seems to have some bearing for Gravitymaster.

normiss

How we doing with alcohol?
Smoking?
Heart disease???

If WE cared simply about the numbers of fatalities, we'd start addressing the issues.
Instead of removing other's rights that will have zero effect on the loonies.
The loonies are the problem.

If you could come kill me with heart disease, smoking, or alcohol I would have a pretty big issue with those.

Killing people while under the influence of alcohol or drugs I already have a problem with.

As it turns out, other than drunken/drugged driving, you can't kill me using any of your mentioned means.

You can come kill me with a gun though. That concerns me.