mistercwood

Personal Armed Drones and the 2nd Amendment

DrewEckhardt

Since the OP turned out to be pure CGI, I attach a picture of my drone, which is real.

:)

Four mechanical engineering students who share my communal machine shop were building a heavy-lift (50 pound payload, 112 pound vehicle) twin engine quadracopter with an estimated one hour loiter time for their senior project.

_That_ is a drone.

That will have interesting control issues. I hope it's stable.

As far as FAA is concerned they are all "Unmanned Aircraft Systems" regardless of size, even down to insect size. Drone is not legally defined.

You say they "were" building it. Is it finished?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

*********How much wind can you fly in and how many minutes of flight?

Up to approx 15kt of wind. On a 4000mA.h battery I can get around 12 minutes with the camera on board. More without the camera (because it's lighter).

That's a 5C discharge rate. What lithium chemistry are your cells? Also, what is the voltage of the battery? It's not a single cell, is it?

It's a 3 cell (3S) hobby grade LiPO pack.

Interesting. After looking around a bit online, I was surprised to find that many lithium polymer cells are capable of very high constant discharge rates. Apparently 5C is nothing.

I regularly use cylindrical lithium cobalt oxide cells, and discharging at rates over 2C is just asking for very bad things to happen. For higher discharge rates, I use lithium iron phosphate or lithium manganese oxide cells.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

************How much wind can you fly in and how many minutes of flight?

Up to approx 15kt of wind. On a 4000mA.h battery I can get around 12 minutes with the camera on board. More without the camera (because it's lighter).

That's a 5C discharge rate. What lithium chemistry are your cells? Also, what is the voltage of the battery? It's not a single cell, is it?

It's a 3 cell (3S) hobby grade LiPO pack.

Interesting. After looking around a bit online, I was surprised to find that many lithium polymer cells are capable of very high constant discharge rates. Apparently 5C is nothing.

I regularly use cylindrical lithium cobalt oxide cells, and discharging at rates over 2C is just asking for very bad things to happen. For higher discharge rates, I use lithium iron phosphate or lithium manganese oxide cells.

Cells I am using in the quad are rated for 25C continuous. Using them at lower rates increases lifetime.

In my electric R/C airplane with the 800W motor I'm using 40C 4S cells, but I'm only pulling about 40 - 45 amps from them.

kallend

Four mechanical engineering students who share my communal machine shop were building a heavy-lift (50 pound payload, 112 pound vehicle) twin engine quadracopter with an estimated one hour loiter time for their senior project.

_That_ is a drone.

As far as FAA is concerned they are all "Unmanned Aircraft Systems" regardless of size, even down to insect size. Drone is not legally defined.

I think so. Sometime in the last month or so they vanished from the shop after pretty much living there turning out machined parts and have a face book page (that wasn't hard to find - not too many San Jose State students make such things) which looks more like a photo and less like a rendering but there's no test flight footage

https://www.facebook.com/IncredibleHLQ

http://www.industrytap.com/heavy-lifting-quadcopter-lifts-50-pound-loads-its-a-gas-powered-hulk-hlq/2182

DrewEckhardt

_That_ is a drone.

I think so. Sometime in the last month or so they vanished from the shop after pretty much living there turning out machined parts and have a face book page (that wasn't hard to find - not too many San Jose State students make such things) which looks more like a photo and less like a rendering but there's no test flight footage

http://www.industrytap.com/heavy-lifting-quadcopter-lifts-50-pound-loads-its-a-gas-powered-hulk-hlq/2182

Very cool, if it works.

Big paperweight otherwise.

kallend

_That_ is a drone.

Very cool, if it works.

Wouldn't work very well with those fans blowing the paper everywhere
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

_That_ is a drone.

Very cool, if it works.

Wouldn't work very well with those fans blowing the paper everywhere

Just go from blow to suck.

Shredder!

kallend

And I'll post photos of my five "Excellence in Teaching Awards" - three more than any other prof in the 120 year history of my university.

What do you differently in the class room than what you do in the SC?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I'd imagine getting paid to be there and talking to people who had paid to be there to learn about a particular topic had something to do with it.

Also, nobody flips the hell out when you teach circuit theory complaining that the whole class is a bullshit republican approximation that refuses to acknowledge liberal displacement current.

champu

I'd imagine getting paid to be there and talking to people who had paid to be there to learn about a particular topic had something to do with it.

For a university of that caliber, most are paid to do research and write papers. Teaching, esp undergrads, is a minor priority.

Well, this is "interesting."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxThXvuP4Vo

I wonder what kind of ammo they were really using in the gun? Pretty damn sure most of the shots shown of things blowing up were normal ammo or possibly birdshot (I also think all those shots are fake fired from the drone), but when you look at the energy imparted onto the phone by the hit, it barely knocks the phone over.

Will be interesting to see what happens with with this video.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Well, this is "interesting."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxThXvuP4Vo

I wonder what kind of ammo they were really using in the gun? Pretty damn sure most of the shots shown of things blowing up were normal ammo or possibly birdshot (I also think all those shots are fake fired from the drone), but when you look at the energy imparted onto the phone by the hit, it barely knocks the phone over.

Will be interesting to see what happens with with this video.

Pretty sure it's bogus. The octocopter is pretty standard and if you watch its motion, the probability of aiming it with any precision is minute. The gun mount is flimsy. I would also expect a much greater recoil effect on the drone from normal handgun ammo.

I'm sure one of the gun enthusiasts can comment on the legality of remotely fired guns and firing guns from civilian aircraft (manned or unmanned).

RonD1120

And I'll post photos of my five "Excellence in Teaching Awards" - three more than any other prof in the 120 year history of my university.

I have a better quality audience.

kallend

Pretty sure it's bogus. The octocopter is pretty standard and if you watch its motion, the probability of aiming it with any precision is minute. The gun mount is flimsy. I would also expect a much greater recoil effect on the drone from normal handgun ammo.

From what I'd read it wasn't normal handgun ammo, It was a low power birdshot load. Note the cans... many of them are punctured at the same time. Also note that the only shot we see the recoil from is one with the phone in frame. When the phone is finally hit, only a few pellets hit the phone.

I don't believe the shot from the copter that we see, nor the shot on the phone are bogus. I don't believe that both are the same shot from the pistol. I bet the shots that actually hit things are all hand fired.

Editing is kind of like statistics.
--
Rob

kallend

So you admit that your awards are based on the aptitudes of the students and not your professional ability or knowledge.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

So you admit that your awards are based on the aptitudes of the students and not your professional ability or knowledge.

A response that nicely illustrates my point. It is clear that you don't even understand your own question.

kallend

A response that nicely illustrates my point. It is clear that you don't even understand your own question.

Nice try but, I am willing to go another round.

Kennedy

That's not chum you smell. It's variably sourced quadroped feces being throw around.

I know, I know. Sometimes I wish I had greater will power to just say no. Being retired gives me way too much time on my hands. Moving to the mountains should give me newer and more productive activity variables.

RonD1120

:D:DDo I smell blood in the water?

No - you detect a professor, on his own dime, accompanying a team of students to a UAV design contest at Patunxet River NAS, who doesn't have much time or interest right now to respond to your ignorant opinions of his teaching.

Some of the students' drones are VERY sophisticated. Also got to watch some of the Navy's own drones being tested.

Internet connectivity here is very spotty.

rhaig

I don't believe the shot from the copter that we see, nor the shot on the phone are bogus. I don't believe that both are the same shot from the pistol. I bet the shots that actually hit things are all hand fired.

Editing is kind of like statistics.

This. I found it immediately very telling that only one of the shots showed the target and the weapon in the same shot, and with such a huge fov that you'd have no way of telling if the phone was hit or not.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Kennedy

That's not chum you smell. It's variably sourced quadroped feces being throw around.

So you don't believe I have any Excellence in Teaching Awards.

I hope you like crow.

Relax professor. That wasn't aimed directly or solely at you. There's plenty of horseshit, bullshit, dog shit, as well as a bit of chickenshit in this thread coming from all around.

However, there are pages out there stating you've received (at least) the following:
Amoco Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1991
Bauer Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 1997
Bauer Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2004
Barnett Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2006
Bauer Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2007

And apparently you think I'm over educated. :P

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Well, having now returned from Patuxent River NAS I am more convinced than before that weaponizing a personal drone will be very difficult to do. There was some very sophisticated machinery at the contest, probably costing well into the $50+k range, yet reliably identifying targets autonomously turned out to be very difficult indeed. And even the large, heavy machines weren't, IMO, sufficiently steady to be a good firing platform except for a guided weapon of some sort.