jclalor

24 Children reported dead in tornado.

kelpdiver

MSNBC is reporting that 24 third graders were killed at their school, how does a school in Oklahoma not have a below ground shelter?

this tornado was described as being 1-2 miles wide. Below ground shelter may not be enough.

It looks massive in this timelapse video: http://www.wmctv.com/category/240217/video-landing-page?clipId=8899079&autostart=true
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

jclalor

MSNBC is reporting that 24 third graders were killed at their school, how does a school in Oklahoma not have a below ground shelter?

Supposedly the school had been reinforced after the May 3rd tornado that tracked a few miles to the south of this one. All the schools in the area had. It is hard to protect against a slow moving 2-mile wide F5.

However, you can fully expect new legislation to come out directing requirements for schools as an outcome.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's exactly it-- no amount of reinforcing is going to save you from an EF-4 or 5. The only hope people have in that situation is to be underground, or just plain lucky above ground. Shelters are tough to build in that area in the hard rock that is just under the surface. I'm sure they're expensive. Sucks.... it's the only chance people have in a ginormous tornado like this.

I am really keeping all of these people in my thoughts tonight!
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

AggieDave

However, you can fully expect new legislation to come out directing requirements for schools as an outcome.

with the prerequisite funding bills and tax raises that'll get spent on artsy overpasses eventually - maybe stadium subsidies....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***However, you can fully expect new legislation to come out directing requirements for schools as an outcome.

with the prerequisite funding bills and tax raises that'll get spent on artsy overpasses eventually - maybe stadium subsidies....

It's like other preventative measures (police/fire funding for example), it doesn't give instant gratification to tax payers, they don't see the good it provides. All tax payers see are the tragedies that could have been prevented, but that is always after the fact. It's harder to sell a multi-million school bond to the tax payers for a new shelter for a school that will use it once or twice in the life of that building. It is even harder to get educators to look outside their little reality bubble to the real dangers that exist.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Let's hope Sens. Coburn and Inhofe don't ask for disaster relief from the Feds. I'd hate to think they were hypocrites.

Sens. Jim Inhofe and Tom Coburn repeatedly voted against funding disaster aid for other parts of the country. They also have opposed increased funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which administers federal disaster relief.

Late last year, Inhofe and Coburn both backed a plan to slash disaster relief to victims of Hurricane Sandy.

In 2011, both senators opposed legislation that would have granted necessary funding for FEMA when the agency was set to run out of money. Sending the funds to FEMA would have been "unconscionable," Coburn said at the time.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The May 3rd Tornado was one of the major tornado events in the US, in 1999. I'm sure they reinforced the heck out of the school. But there is no perfect protection, and this sounds like the kind of event that's outside normal.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

-Joey-

So... 24 children dead in Oklahoma, that's more than the Sandy Hook total.
What's Dianne Feinstien gonna do about this? Oh that's right, nothing, because she can't exploit it for a power grab.

What do you expect her to do? Propose a ban on tornadoes? :S
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

The second I saw the thread title, and that it was in SC and not BF, I got sad. Anyone here - and I don't care which way you lean - using kids dead from a natural disaster as political point scoring? Go to hell. You should be ashamed of yourself.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

mistercwood

The second I saw the thread title, and that it was in SC and not BF, I got sad. Anyone here - and I don't care which way you lean - using kids dead from a natural disaster as political point scoring? Go to hell. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I rarely post in BF, I never thought this event could even be construed as political. I have lived in California my whole life and I just always thought that all the schools in this area of the country had basements for tornadoes.

I just read that they were in the basement of the school, the news report I read stated they drown when water filled the basement portion they were in... I so hope the report is wrong, that's a bad way to go.
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

Is it that different from hurricane Andrew in South Florida?
It brought in a TON of new codes.

I had a HELL of a time getting CO's for a few data centers down there after the new codes were passed.

I don't see any difference.

hurricanes
tornadoes
mountain slides
beach erosion
wild fires
flooding

We are free to chose where we want to live, we should be expected to assume some level of responsibility for living in those areas of increased natural disaster risks.

mistercwood

How about someone who would blame tornadoes like this on Global Warming? Would you have the same level of contempt for them?

jclalor

I grew up in KS. It's not uncommon for larger schools to have an area that is "better protected". But not all of them. And in the rare event that the underground shelters are used, it's not certain that the collapse won't kill as many as it saves. So there was real discussion... do we spend the money on a shelter that will survive a mid-level storm, do we spend 5 times as much on a shelter that will survive a high intensity storm, or do we spend the money on programs instead of having a very expensive storage area to use in that very small chance that we get hit with a storm. The soil is mostly shrink/swell clay. Expensive to build underground in where there isn't a rock layer close to the surface (which causes it's own expense).

it all comes down to the money.

Of course now everyone will be asking that question, and it will be politically advantageous to build the sturdy shelters. And in 5 years, when no storm has hit, there will be questions about why the money wasn't spent on programs.
--
Rob

Gravitymaster

***The second I saw the thread title, and that it was in SC and not BF, I got sad. Anyone here - and I don't care which way you lean - using kids dead from a natural disaster as political point scoring? Go to hell. You should be ashamed of yourself.

How about someone who would blame tornadoes like this on Global Warming? Would you have the same level of contempt for them?

If it was a thread just about tornadoes, or other extreme weather? Probably not. In a thread specifically started to draw attention to the tragic loss of children? Yes.

ETA: I've bolded the part that should've prevented you needing to ask.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

mistercwood

******The second I saw the thread title, and that it was in SC and not BF, I got sad. Anyone here - and I don't care which way you lean - using kids dead from a natural disaster as political point scoring? Go to hell. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If it was a thread just about tornadoes, or other extreme weather? Probably not. In a thread specifically started to draw attention to the tragic loss of children? Yes.

ETA: I've bolded the part that should've prevented you needing to ask.

Well, I asked because one of the leaders in the Democratic Party, Rahm Emmanuelle, once said "you never let a serious crisis go to waste".

So, I just wondered if you supported that kind of thinking.