futuredivot

Teaching kids that racisim is alive and well

Pretty sure calling someone jewish is more towards what you said than that word. I thought he just made that up. Have you heard of niggardly before?

I live in the south and I havent

Yes I have heard the word and know what it means; as others have noted the similarity to a racial insult is coincidental. Nevertheless, the similarity is enough to have caused some trouble for people who used the word around others who are less literate and more thin skinned, which is why the alternative synonyms I suggested would be safer for general use.

On the other hand, using "Jewish" in that context is definitely playing to racial stereotypes.

I still have no idea of what Gravitymaster was attempting to convey when he used the word. Or maybe I do, but let's wait and see if he can provide a rational non-racist explanation.

Don

It also means ungenerous or small.

Ungenerous is fine. I've never seen it used in place of "small", and "small" is not listed as a synonym in any of the dozen or so on-line dictionaries I checked. Also, how does "small" fit the circumstances of this news story? If you mean "small-minded", well yes the councilwoman could certainly be called small-minded but "small-minded" is as good a fit to "niggardly" as is "orange". And do you mean the councilwoman's reaction to the student's work was "ungenerous"? I can think of a lot of words to describe her reaction, but "ungenerous" was not one that came to mind.

I resisted the temptation to misspell it too. Thinking that would be too much of an overload.
Admittedly it does require some mental gymnastics.

Glad you resisted the temptation to misspell it. Unfortunately mental gymnastics is still necessary to discern any meaning to your use of the word, apart from the obvious one.:P

Don

Some people get it, smile and move on. Others hang around to dissect things. Glad I didn't misspell it.

So, it was the obvious meaning. Thereby making the thread title all the more appropriate.

Don

Some people get it, smile and move on. Others hang around to dissect things. Glad I didn't misspell it.

So, it was the obvious meaning. Thereby making the thread title all the more appropriate.

Don

Nope, it was mocking the person in the article who got butt hurt over something silly. Don't people like that just make you sick?

Don

Nope, it was mocking the person in the article who got butt hurt over something silly. Don't people like that just make you sick?

As a matter of fact they do, on multiple levels. I prefer to ignore them, but they do a lot of damage by perpetuating their culture of victimhood. There are enough real issues to get butt-hurt about without wasting time and energy over manufactured ones.

Don

Don

Eh, she probably has a chip on her shoulder and this is an excuse to complain. Happens all the time.

I often see people like Tim Tebow get told that they arent good enough and they get a chip on their shoulder and the only way to get it off is to prove themselves by hard work. Somehow I dont think this woman would alleviate her chip by something so simple.

Don

Eh, she probably has a chip on her shoulder and this is an excuse to complain. Happens all the time.

I often see people like Tim Tebow get told that they arent good enough and they get a chip on their shoulder and the only way to get it off is to prove themselves by hard work. Somehow I dont think this woman would alleviate her chip by something so simple.

Some people are what I call "chronic umbrage-takers". They see and take offense at the slightest perceived provocation, even when it's not there or not intended. Psychologists would probably diagnose them as borderline paranoid personalities. Anyhow, they don't really make me sick, but I've come to recognize that they're "socially dangerous", so I've learned to just avoid them.

Some people are what I call "chronic umbrage-takers". They see and take offense at the slightest perceived provocation, even when it's not there or not intended. You take that back. Psychologists would probably diagnose them as borderline paranoid personalities.that's so out of line Anyhow, they don't really make me sick, but I've come to recognize that they're "socially dangerous" you just keep pushing it don't you? >:( , so I've learned to just avoid them. ... please oh please oh please ..

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

On behalf of the physically-challenged of the world I take umbrage at you sigline. Putting pants on can be something to be very proud of.
:P

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Pretty sure calling someone jewish is more towards what you said than that word. I thought he just made that up. Have you heard of niggardly before?

I am not quite sure what point you tried to make.

Are you saying that your vocabulary is deficient?

Are you saying that your education is lacking?

Are you saying that since you never heard of the word, it must be fake?

Or are you just being willfully ignorant, as you didn't take the time to enter the word into any search engine to find out what it means before posting this?

I am not quite sure what point you tried to make.

All that needed to be said. The rest was unnecessary arrogance and intentionally degrading. I'm sure he appreciates it.
:S

Willingfully ignorant?

No thats your forte.

If you have something you want to say just say it.

Man the fuck up.

HAHAHAHA we have quite the internet tough guy today :D:D:D

...and an anonymous internet tough guy, too!

no decision has been made whether to hang the quilt.

Well that's some progress. Those racially motivated hangings used to be quite common.

:D
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

>In that context the word coon would also be appropriate.

Speaking of coons,I seen one eating cat food off the old lady down the streets porch last night.
It was pretty good size,I would guess about 35 pounds or so.
What was really funny was the lady's cat sitting there watching the coon eat all the food:D:D while the lady gave me the evil stink eye through her window because she thought her dog was barking at me through the screen door while I walked by:D:D.
From the size of that coon,I bet she buys alot of cat food.:)

Willingfully ignorant?

No thats your forte.

Man the fuck up.

Macho man!!!! Ha, Ha Ha!!!!

What exactly do you mean by "Man the fuck up."?

I asked the questions because the statement makes no sense at all when one has access to the Internet. It isn't a real challenge to look up a single word and find a definition. Failing to do so is being willfully ignorant.

Right Wing Conservatism is a clear indicator that one is ignorant and ill informed.

Nothing positive for society has ever come out of RWC philosophy. Not a single thing, EVER.

If it was up the conservetards, Plessy v Ferguson would still be in effect, women's suffrage would have never happened, and miscegenation laws would still be in effect.

Now go look up what I wrote about. THEN reply to my post.

Willingfully ignorant?

No thats your forte.

Man the fuck up.

Macho man!!!! Ha, Ha Ha!!!!

What exactly do you mean by "Man the fuck up."?

I asked the questions because the statement makes no sense at all when one has access to the Internet. It isn't a real challenge to look up a single word and find a definition. Failing to do so is being willfully ignorant.

Right Wing Conservatism is a clear indicator that one is ignorant and ill informed.

Nothing positive for society has ever come out of RWC philosophy. Not a single thing, EVER.

If it was up the conservetards, Plessy v Ferguson would still be in effect, women's suffrage would have never happened, and miscegenation laws would still be in effect.

Now go look up what I wrote about. THEN reply to my post.

Be careful, he might send you an angry private message about how hot is wife is and how gay you are (which doesn't at all project that he's a closet homosexual in the slightest). ;)

Additional info to continue thread drift:
This was written over 100 years ago in England
"If you do your work well, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, you will have no reason to complain of niggardly treatment." ... — The Return of Sherlock Holmes -
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Right Wing Conservatism is a clear indicator that one is ignorant and ill informed. Nothing positive for society has ever come out of RWC philosophy. Not a single thing, EVER.

You just blew your credibility right there.

You bought stock in Kallend's mind reading machine, didn't you?

Somebody is going to come back and tell you Progressives are trying to take the country to hell in a hand basket.