SkyChimp

Keep the Food Stamps and Obama phones but not the military strength.

Airshows are a way of recruiting our young people to be the future of our nation's defense. I'm sick that the military gets cut but food stamps and obama phones run wild with funding. I am dripping with disdain about people making an excuse for why they aren't successful in life. Now we have budget cuts that affect our military but not to get lazy people off food stamps and government obama phones.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/apr/29/us-budget-battle-air-shows/

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

When you add up the military spending AND the Obama phones (which by the way are NOT actually Obama phones and the food stamps and realize that the total of the phones and stamps is about 10% of the military spending, it comes into perspective a little more about why the military can sustain some cuts.

And the cost of the two recent wars is now estimated at $2T, and probably will exceed $4T in the long run once we pay for all the injured and care for their lifetimes.

$4T buys a lot of food stamps, education, phones, and whatever other social programs you might despise.

Our investment would have been better spent there, and not in some foreign country

What's the positive outcome again of Iraq and Afghanistan? Hmmmmmm, describe it please in tangible terms.....

When the country makes $4T mistakes, it IS actually time to rethink where we are spending the money.....regardless of how those mistakes were made.

And the cost of the two recent wars is now estimated at $2T, and probably will exceed $4T in the long run once we pay for all the injured and care for their lifetimes.

$4T buys a lot of food stamps, education, phones, and whatever other social programs you might despise.

Our investment would have been better spent there, and not in some foreign country

What's the positive outcome again of Iraq and Afghanistan? Hmmmmmm, describe it please in tangible terms.....

When the country makes $4T mistakes, it IS actually time to rethink where we are spending the money.....regardless of how those mistakes were made.

By all means, lets have everyone on food stamps. That way no one actually has to work except the rich who pay for it all.

But its not actually about food so much anymore is it?

Have some free cash.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

it's not an either/or scenario - spend it here vs spend it there

4T is a LOT of money that decent citizens could have kept in their pockets and spent and invested and hired people with in the private sector

once you guys stop thinking about spending cuts as just a means of the government stealthily keeping the money and spending it elsewhere (not really 'cuts' now is it?) then we'll make some progress

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Military strength - Like the Abrams tanks that the Army doesn't need or want but which are being forced on them?

Our military is already the most bloated in the world.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've been in walmart at least 5 times in the past 7-8 years and been behind people trying to buy ciggarettes or alcohol on their lone star cards and have to put those items back...slowing up the line and pissing me off in the process. Its clearly stated when those cards are issued that no alcohol or tobacco products can be bought and yet I see people constantly trying to buck the system. I can see giving out lone star cards for a year. After that...better get a damn resume worked up.

Military strength - Like the Abrams tanks that the Army doesn't need or want but which are being forced on them?

The Abrams tanks are food stamps, for the military-industrial complex and the politicians who suck off their teat.

Don

The Abrams tanks are food stamps, for the military-industrial complex and the politicians who suck off their teat.

except the army is offering to cut that spending voluntarily and the government is forcing them to take their symbolic food stamps.....

can you say the same for a welfare queen?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

except the army is offering to cut that spending voluntarily and the government is forcing them to take their symbolic food stamps.....

Are you calling subsidized farmers welfare queens?

Are you calling subsidized farmers welfare queens?

I wasn't before, but MAN O MAN! I sure do plan to now.

OK, so in this case it's the "industrial complex" side of the partnership, not the military, that is the "welfare queen".

Don

no issues, I understand, even if the military is willing to be efficient, the complex supporting them isn't and they have strong strings on much of Congress. So the offer by the military is nice, but moot.

anyway - dry up the nipple in ALL the cases

Greek's spending philosophy just doesn't look that good to me for the US. Germany can't bail everyone out......

no one is suggesting that we have 'everyone' on food stamps - the absurdity of your statement does not actually make your argument.

The argument being made and the original post was about sustaining the military which costs 10x as much as the food stamp program.

I made the argument of diminished returns effectively. You can put more tanks and special weapons in the hands of the military while you force poor people to starve, OR you can cut the food stamp program by 10% and cut the military by 10% and easily afford both.

To say that the food stamp program is ANY KIND of a drain on the overall budget is nothing short of silly and naive....... it is less than 'fuck all' of the total cost of government. That does not mean that it cannot be trimmed some. But trimming it will also make 'fuck-all' difference.

no one is suggesting that we have 'everyone' on food stamps - the absurdity of your statement does not actually make your argument.

But it's the best he can do - give him a break.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Airshows are a way of recruiting our young people to be the future of our nation's defense.

Airshows are a way of brainwashing the American public into believing it is their patriotic duty to unnecessarily convert trillions of tax dollars into defense contractor profits.

I'm sick that the military gets cut but food stamps and obama phones run wild with funding.

I'm sick of having a giant make-work program funneling tax dollars to private companies.

If that's not the true purpose of the US armed forces I'm tired of supporting a military that's so grossly incompetent that they need 5X the budget of the number 2 country, 10X the second place NATO country, and over 30X the first world country with the same land mass and border length.

Pick one.

Yet, only four out of every 10 adults in the US is employed.
http://rt.com/usa/jobs-us-employment-welfare-749/

Russia has no vested interest in misrepresenting US realities.

Do they? ;)

Paul,

What was stated in the article that the Russians misrepresented?

See billvons post for starters.
Never try to eat more than you can lift