quade

Charges Filed in Boston Attack

>After a while it doesn't mean anything any more other than "something really bad." Which is what the term WMD is becoming, both in common usage and legally.

You are a hero for pointing that out. The fascism of people diluting the meaning of words is totally dysfunctional. It's downright abusive and insane. The racism and sexism involved clearly shows the challenge of the extremism in the whole situation. Clearly our civil rights are being abused by being subjected to this.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>After a while it doesn't mean anything any more other than "something really bad." Which is what the term WMD is becoming, both in common usage and legally.

You are a hero for pointing that out. The fascism of people diluting the meaning of words is totally dysfunctional. It's downright abusive and insane. The racism and sexism involved clearly shows the challenge of the extremism in the whole situation. Clearly our civil rights are being abused by being subjected to this.

Now that's some high-capacity sarcasm.

>You are a hero for pointing that out. The fascism of people diluting the meaning of
>words is totally dysfunctional. It's downright abusive and insane. The racism and
>sexism involved clearly shows the challenge of the extremism in the whole situation.
>Clearly our civil rights are being abused by being subjected to this.

You know who else diluted the meaning of words for political gain? Hitler, that's who.

I guess it is our fault for assuming the government uses common sense when defining terms used in legislation. I don't think most people would consider a large firework that has over 4 ounces of propellant to be a weapon of mass destruction. Hell - it isn't even a finale to a fireworks show.

Indeed. I reckon just about every city and town in the USA uses a lot of WMDs by that definition on July 4th each year.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>You are a hero for pointing that out. The fascism of people diluting the meaning of
>words is totally dysfunctional. It's downright abusive and insane. The racism and
>sexism involved clearly shows the challenge of the extremism in the whole situation.
>Clearly our civil rights are being abused by being subjected to this.

You know who else diluted the meaning of words for political gain? Hitler, that's who.

someone better lose their job over that

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Charging with a weapon of mass destruction?

And people wonder why due process rights are needed. [Facepalm]

Jerry, you gonna stand by that post? The statutory definitions are what they are.

Indeed. And we deal with them daily. So note to all of you who like putting dry ice in soda bottles and detonating them - you have a federal "weapon of mass destruction" and it's the equivalent of having a nuke.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

(4) The term “destructive device” means—
(A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas—
(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
(iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
(v) mine, or
(vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;

So weaponised biological agents are not classified as WMD?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

they would be if delivered in a grenade, attached to a bomb, delivered on the head of a rocket or missile

a weapon of mass destruction

Its an IED not a feckin nuke FFS:S Talk about a stretch, is this so that they can say that yes they found WMD in Iraq in years to come? :S

well, according to some accounts I read there were certainly lots of biological weapons and ingredients found in irag, so I don't think they have to make stuff up

Do pay attention old chap, biological weapons and ingredients are not WMDs...

(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
(v) mine, or
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

From AggieDave's post:

(2) the term “weapon of mass destruction” means—
(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title;
(B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
(C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title); or
(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life; and
(3) the term “property” includes all real and personal property.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

a weapon of mass destruction

Its an IED not a feckin nuke FFS:S Talk about a stretch, is this so that they can say that yes they found WMD in Iraq in years to come? :S

well, according to some accounts I read there were certainly lots of biological weapons and ingredients found in irag, so I don't think they have to make stuff up

Do pay attention old chap, biological weapons and ingredients are not WMDs...

(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(v) mine, or

Before you make wise ass comments, you should re-read the post from Dave. That section you just quoted if the definition of "destructive device" which is ONE of the types of WMD listed in the statute above in his post.

(2) the term “weapon of mass destruction” means—
(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title;
(B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
(C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title); or
(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life;

Remster

:D:D:D At least someone has kept a sense of humour.

I see you've already been corrected...

If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

It's like calling anything you dislike "fascism." After a while it doesn't mean anything any more other than "something really bad." Which is what the term WMD is becoming, both in common usage and legally.

Unless you're trying to vilify a certain US President, in which case you try to set impossible standards....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

This is so funny. You twits are learning first-hand why lawyers are such dicks.

Oh I know it, and it's fun to watch/play the game with them on the stand. You can usually see where they're trying to lead you. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

:D:D:D At least someone has kept a sense of humour.

A sense of humor that costs us all money!!!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Depending on how they're used...sometimes it could accurately apply couldn't it?
If the desired effect is mass injuries and fatalities...I say yes.

3 dead and 180+ injured in two blasts. Sounds like a WMD to me. They can be of any size as far as I'm concerned if they are still able to kill and maim a bunch of people.

Please.

Really. Please.

A TRUE WMD is capable of killing massive amounts of people.
Not 3.

Set off one of those IEDs in a crowded football stadium.
How many will die? A couple of dozen if it's placed in a strategic spot?

Put a small nuke on the 50 yard line.
Everyone is dead (60k +)

Release Sarin or Ricin or VX and everyone who takes a breath of it is dead. Probably 30k-50k

Fly over and release anthrax spores. Most everyone who breathes it in and doesn't get treated right away (before symptoms show up) is dead.
Again, 40k +.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So here's the best (worst?) thread through that law I could come up with, making careful efforts not to hinge on the word "weapon."

A person who, without lawful authority ... attempts or conspires to use, ...any explosive device ... similar to ... [a] bomb ... against any ... property within the United States, and ... the offense, or the results of the offense ... would have affected interstate or foreign commerce ... shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.