jgoose71

Time to register/ban Pressure Cookers?

Or at least put a cap on their capacity?

"Never let a crisis go to waste..."
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

depends on who's buying it.

I guess we need to implement back ground checks for them and ensure that they are only sold through license dealers...

or at the very minimum, have the person evaluated by a professional psychiatrist...
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

So...about 48 hours is all it takes to get back to our "normal" selves.

Takes less than that for some politicians...

"Never let a crisis go to waste...."

Now is the time to stand on the shoulders of the victims and loudly beat the drums of our political views in hopes to gain power with knee jerk reactions...

Time to register/ban Pressure Cookers?

Brilliant! No matter how many times this cute little canard is regurgitated, it just never gets old.

Yes, just like global warming, universal health care, government spending, etc, etc, etc.....

and yet we still post here....

Don't worry, I got it.

But just like liberals like to post over and over again their beliefs, true or false, I got to post my beliefs over and over again also. How can it become truth unless I repeat it over and over again?

And the canard continues....

So...about 48 hours is all it takes to get back to our "normal" selves.

I cracked a joke yesterday regarding my confusion on the incident and how this could happen since bombs are obviously illegal.

As you can imagine it wasn't received very well.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

good question, just so I understand, what is the primary purpose of a firearm, and what is the primary purpose of a pressure cooker?

Indeed. If someone had a sporting clays shotgun, you could rightfully argue that its primary purpose was to shoot clay targets. That's what the gunsmith designed it to do best, and that's what the vast majority of people who buy them will only ever use them for. The VP, however, might use it to fire shots into the air in an attempt to scare off an intruder, even though now he's out of rounds. A hunter might take it out to shoot ducks, even though it's a bit heavy to be lugging around meadows all morning. Or, someone might commit murder with it, even though it's highly conspicuous and it would be illegal to do so.

The primary purpose of a pressure cooker is to cook food. Some people might use it to help them make drugs, even though boiling things other than water in it is dangerous. Some people might make a bomb out of it, even though the bomb might be cumbersome and it would be illegal to do so.

The point is, neither a firearm nor a pressure cooker has a primary purpose of "committing violent crimes/murdering people" so taking an approach to either that goes in assuming that's the case is silly. It does take a much less active imagination to picture someone using a firearm to commit a crime, but an important thing to remember about those that wish to erode law-abiding citizens' access to certain firearms, is that it takes a much more active imagination for them to picture themselves ever wanting to purchase one.

btw, when you write things like "register/ban" you're falling into the trap that it's all just a package deal.

After Newtown, people very casually listed "universal background checks, assault weapon bans, and magazine bans" as all being "common-sense" measures, stating how it's all just a blanket approach that all needs to be done together because no one thing will stop everything. Thankfully a lot of people here, and more importantly in congress, don't think very highly of the bans, and would really just be happy with finding a workable fix to the background check situation. Sadly, not all state legislatures are being as cool-headed.

The more people that make their arguments for/against these things inseverable, the more polarized the argument gets and the more "common-stupidity" measures we're going to end up with.

>The point is, neither a firearm nor a pressure cooker has a primary purpose of
>"committing violent crimes/murdering people"

Agreed. However, a pressure cooker's primary purpose is to cook food. A handgun's primary purpose is to kill people. Thus they are different, and should not be treated the same. (Even though they can both be used for good things and bad things.)

good question, just so I understand, what is the primary purpose of a firearm, and what is the primary purpose of a pressure cooker?

Indeed. If someone had a sporting clays shotgun, you could rightfully argue that its primary purpose was to shoot clay targets. That's what the gunsmith designed it to do best, and that's what the vast majority of people who buy them will only ever use them for. The VP, however, might use it to fire shots into the air in an attempt to scare off an intruder, even though now he's out of rounds. A hunter might take it out to shoot ducks, even though it's a bit heavy to be lugging around meadows all morning. Or, someone might commit murder with it, even though it's highly conspicuous and it would be illegal to do so.

The primary purpose of a pressure cooker is to cook food. Some people might use it to help them make drugs, even though boiling things other than water in it is dangerous. Some people might make a bomb out of it, even though the bomb might be cumbersome and it would be illegal to do so.

The point is, neither a firearm nor a pressure cooker has a primary purpose of "committing violent crimes/murdering people" so taking an approach to either that goes in assuming that's the case is silly. It does take a much less active imagination to picture someone using a firearm to commit a crime, but an important thing to remember about those that wish to erode law-abiding citizens' access to certain firearms, is that it takes a much more active imagination for them to picture themselves ever wanting to purchase one.

Or one is designed to cut down cooking times, by increasing pressure. The other is designed to propel an object faster, by creating a controlled explosion behind it. Historically, we wanted to increase the velocity of that object so the weapon would be more effective at destroying what it hit.

People use guns for defence and offence, because it is very effective at killing, while relatively safe for the person handling it.

Objectively, there simply isn't a parallel between guns and pressure cookers.

I don't understand how admitting that makes one automatically in favour of gun restrictions and a gun-o-phobe. But when it comes to America and guns, objectivity is not part of the picture.

>creating a bit of a strawman, here.

A handgun's primary purpose is to kill people. That's why people practice with human-shaped targets, and why things like "stopping power" are used as metrics. That makes them inherently different than something designed to cook food.

Anyone who does not understand the difference probably shouldn't own a gun.

Or one is designed to cut down cooking times, by increasing pressure. The other is designed to propel an object faster, by creating a controlled explosion behind it. Historically, we wanted to increase the velocity of that object so the weapon would be more effective at destroying what it hit.

People use guns for defence and offence, because it is very effective at killing, while relatively safe for the person handling it.

Objectively, there simply isn't a parallel between guns and pressure cookers.

I don't understand how admitting that makes one automatically in favour of gun restrictions and a gun-o-phobe. But when it comes to America and guns, objectivity is not part of the picture.

This thread was not my idea and I agree that it is not a good place to try to draw a parallel. I do not think that anyone who thinks the thread is silly is automatically a gun-o-phobe. My posts here have been an attempt to not throw the baby out with the bath water. Re-reading them I agree they do not conform to my usual standards.

I had two points. 1) "depends on who's buying it" is damn right when talking about "primary purpose," so regulation should focus on people and not things (and I think many here would agree with that) 2) If a person is for making something difficult/impossible to obtain or do, how likely it is to be used in an illegal way is part of their calculus, but so is how likely the person in question is to want to obtain or do that thing.

So (against my better judgement trying to salvage the original analogy) if I think pressure cookers don't do food justice and I've choosen to never cook my food that way... and it happens that pressure cookers make good bombs... then why would I not want them heavily regulated? Try and make an argument for pressure cookers to bring to someone with my stance.

>creating a bit of a strawman, here.

A handgun's primary purpose is to kill people.

You collapsed "firearm" down to "handgun" in a diliberate attempt to make your argument stronger, so yes, this was a strawman. Textbook, frankly. And I will demonstrate one of my own points right now by stating that I'm not a big fan of handguns myself, so I don't feel as compelled to defend them.

But note, US Senators and state legislatures didn't bring Handgun Ban Bills forward after the Virginia Tech shootings, but even the president started talking about an Assuault Weapon Ban after Newtown.

A handgun's primary purpose is to kill people.

on this, i can say you are completely wrong. a handgun's ONLY purpose is to shoot bullets. and you can apply that to ANY gun. what the gun is pointed at when the bullet leaves the barrel is up to the discretion of the PERSON holding said gun.
http://kitswv.com